Weather

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well it looks like some of that forecast is coming true for you guys. It really is why I like Georgia. We get some of the cold and a tiny portion of the snow occasionally. I am just not a Winter kind of person. On the flip side we also get the hot sweltering Summers. I have no problem with those as long as Air Conditioning exists.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My neighbors were none too pleased to learn there is a difference depending on what side of the street your house is on. My front yard gets the sun while the opposite side gets shade as the sun sets. So our driveway had a thin layer maybe 0.25" while they were shoveling a good 2-3" across the street. That slight bit of warmth and straddling the freezing point made all the difference.
One of the first things I looked at with buying our last two houses was the orientation.

50+ years ago they made sure houses were built facing north/south. At some point retarded builders started building east/west, which is incredibly energy inefficient.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well it looks like some of that forecast is coming true for you guys. It really is why I like Georgia. We get some of the cold and a tiny portion of the snow occasionally. I am just not a Winter kind of person. On the flip side we also get the hot sweltering Summers. I have no problem with those as long as Air Conditioning exists..
I'll be honest. This is my 5th winter here and the snow doesn't faze me. Ice is aids though for walking/driving. One of the first things I learned is how to properly salt the walkways, sidewalk driveway etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wind is really starting to kick now. We are getting that straight sideways snow.

I literally have 12 inches of snow on the yard but nearly zero on my car.

20220129_131020.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My deck has mostly no snow, front yard at least a foot, back yard I can see grass and a 4ft high snow drift "peak" that runs the length of my yard i expect no snow within 3 feet of my garage door, then a wall of snow-wind tornado forms there ALL THE. TIME

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Life in the south. 18F yesterday morning. 72F tomorrow afteroon.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well at least it is a business write off?

If I am paying $400.00 for one meal even with 4 others, I would expect a little better. I like how the cheaper stuff came around more frequently. I also would not want to spend 2+ hours there. Hell they are also losing money that way.

Atlanta GA got a bit of a flurry. It is just mainly real cold and windy here in Athens GA. I have to so some stuff outside at work tonight but that will not be a prolonged affair on this night.

My wife was describing a story in a book known as the "Long Winter", which apparently are about the Blizzards in North Dakota. That shit is terrifying. Having to tie a string to the out house just so you did not get lost and freeze to death. This weather, in this day and age, is nothing compared to that reality.
that is one of the Little House on The Prairie boook series
On a hot August day in the 1880s, at the Ingallses' homestead in Dakota Territory, Laura offers to help Pa stack hay to feed their stock in the winter. As they work, she notices a muskrat den in the nearby Big Slough. Upon inspecting it, Pa notes that its walls are the thickest he has ever seen, and fears it is a warning that the upcoming winter will be a very hard one.

In mid-October, the Ingallses wake to an early blizzard howling around their poorly insulated claim shanty. Soon afterward, Pa receives another warning from an unexpected source: an old Native American man comes to the general store in town to warn the white settlers that hard winters come in seven-year cycles and the hardest comes at the end of the third cycle. The coming winter is that twenty-first winter, and there will be seven months of blizzards. Pa decides to move his family into his store building in town for the winter.

In town, Laura attends school with her younger sister, Carrie, until the weather becomes too unpredictable to permit them to walk to and from the school building, and coal too scarce to keep it heated. Blizzard after blizzard sweeps through the town over the next few months. Food and fuel become scarce and expensive, as the town depends on the railroad to bring supplies but the frequent blizzards prevent trains from getting through. Eventually, the railroad company suspends all efforts to dig out the trains that are snowed in at Tracy, stranding the town until spring.

With no more coal or wood, the Ingallses learn to use twisted hay for fuel. As the last of the town's meager food supplies run out, Laura's future husband, Almanzo Wilder, and his friend, Cap Garland, hear rumors that a settler raised wheat at a claim twenty miles from town. They risk their lives to bring sixty bushels of it to the starving townspeople – enough to last the rest of the winter.

As predicted, the blizzards continue for seven months. Finally, the spring thaw comes and trains begin running again, bringing in much-needed supplies and the Ingallses' long-delayed Christmas barrel from Reverend Alden, containing clothes, presents, and a Christmas turkey. With the long winter finally over, they enjoy their long-delayed Christmas celebration in May.

so a hard winter starting in October and starving the whole town til May when the fucking trains could finally get through the snow.
Train_stuck_in_snow.jpg

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'll be honest. This is my 5th winter here and the snow doesn't faze me. Ice is aids though for walking/driving. One of the first things I learned is how to properly salt the walkways, sidewalk driveway etc.
tonight is gonna suck with it being single digits and windy. but i will be inside shitposting. so i dont care. its gonna be 40s and 50s next week so this shit wont even be here in a few days.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
tonight is gonna suck with it being single digits and windy. but i will be inside shitposting. so i dont care. its gonna be 40s and 50s next week so this shit wont even be here in a few days.
Yeah I cleaned off the steps and the walkway and then it's nice and comfy inside the the night.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
SO ended up with ABOUT 21" of snow - hard to tell due to the drifting and blowing snow but i checked a few spots with a measuring tape and got from 19-23 depending.

took ~2hrs to clear my driveway and walk sunday morning with the snowblower- 3 stage cub cadet- with having to replace the center rotator cotter shear pin halfway thru.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
SO ended up with ABOUT 21" of snow - hard to tell due to the drifting and blowing snow but i checked a few spots with a measuring tape and got from 19-23 depending.

took ~2hrs to clear my driveway and walk sunday morning with the snowblower- 3 stage cub cadet- with having to replace the center rotator cotter shear pin halfway thru.
It broke above freezing today on Long Island. The great melt has begun.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Could get another 10" over the next two days here. Really regretting not buying a snowblower because we didn't get a single snowflake all of December...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's tough right now. Got up to 70 so I went and sat out in the sun for an hour. Gonna be right at 80 in a week. I guess I'll make it :) Normally warm but been kind of nuts for January and Feb. 1-1/2 hours north of New Orleans, normally when I go to Mardi Gras I freeze my ass off or it rains, or both. Figures.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>