Weather

Cybsled

Further proof that insurance is a sham these days. We insure expensive stuff in the event of disaster. Insurance company will collect premiums all day for low risk but when the risk gets high they bail. Why not at least offer insurance at a higher premium or lower the coverage in the event of a fire

The problem isn’t high risk so to speak, the risk is lots of people with high risk. That might all file a claim at once.

Think a local bank. If only a dozen people pull money from their accounts, it isn’t a big deal. But if 50,000 people all line up at the bank at once, then it is a problem. Normally with expensive claims, if they are sporadic and infrequent, then they can absorb the costs and replenish losses quickly. But if it is expected to be expensive and frequent, then it isn’t profitable and potentially business threatening and you see companies pull out of those areas

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a ways out, but this could become really bad.

If it takes the lower side of that cone or there is nothing to reflect it back out...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Overall it seems we will miss the bullet on this one, except maybe VA but no one gives a fuck about them anyways for being filthy plebs.
Sure SOME less accurate tracks historically are throwing a YOLO at Florida but the data seems to show places we actually care about will just suffer rough surf.
1694036346530.png

As others have pointed out, it is ALL about that turn. When it happens, where it happens and of course IF it happens.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lots of hurricanes this season, but they're almost all ocean ones.

Which, I think I mentioned a while back (maybe in another thread), but they'll talk about how climate change is making us have more hurricanes while ignoring that these types are ones we wouldn't have even known about not that many decades ago. If a 50 mph tropical storm fizzles out in the middle of the Atlantic and you don't have modern radar, did it even happen? But in 2023 we'll be sure to name that fucker and add it to the tally.

• 1Like

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I want to know what galaxy brain came up with this model. It looks like they drew it on with a ruler to skew the path and make the projections lean a touch toward Florida.

1694112723279.png

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After 3 weeks of no rain we got 1.5" overnight (other side of the highway got 3") and we could get another 1.5" this evening, plus various thunderstorms over the next week.

Appreciate the water but it would be better if we had an even rate over the month minus all of the hail and gusts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
After 3 weeks of no rain we got 1.5" overnight (other side of the highway got 3") and we could get another 1.5" this evening, plus various thunderstorms over the next week.

Appreciate the water but it would be better if we had an even rate over the month minus all of the hail and gusts.
i'll take it, we got high 90s and high humidity all week. any time its like this, a badass storm has to come in to blow all that heat away.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Definitely would have rather had some spread out rain. Annoyed because it seems like some shit is stuck in my damn sump pump and now I have to call someone to clean out the pit. This heavy rain is making me paranoid as shit now that my basement's going to flood.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The panic buying jn orlando area is funny. Fucking ems fire guys at the BJs spreading fear monger news contrary to facts and fucking place was flooded with chicken littles
We didn't even lose power . I lose power in normal wind or rain sometimes. That's how you know this area wasn't even affected.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Definitely would have rather had some spread out rain. Annoyed because it seems like some shit is stuck in my damn sump pump and now I have to call someone to clean out the pit. This heavy rain is making me paranoid as shit now that my basement's going to flood.
Do you have pumps and something to run them with if the power goes out?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Do you have pumps and something to run them with if the power goes out?

Not currently. I’m not so worried about the power going out so much as I’m worried if we get another blast of heavy rain, with whatever’s clogging/blocking the pump, it might not be able to keep up. I do have a new pump coming, though, and it’ll also have a battery backup on it as well.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
goto home depot tomorrow and get a utility pump
it's super cheap to start
398faa81f39c7c0f17ad42b4ad0a9620.png

obviously if you want more hp, you pay more, altho it sounds like you might incur some flooding in the neighborhood so ppl have probably already bought them out, just like how ppl buy out all the generators when a storm comes, try anyway.

just attach a garden hose to it, put it in standing water and you should be fine.

i had one as my backup backup backup to my sump pump in prev house.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users