Web Browsers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Firefox Quantum came out today and while it's fast, the browser is still a RAM hog. I have Twitch, FoH, and another website open in separate tabs and Firefox is taking up 2.3GB of RAM. Chrome usually only uses about 1GB of RAM. Did they forget to optimize RAM usage in this huge update?

imWWLCG.png

Last edited:

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Using Vivaldi with FoH, Twitch and FoxSports using 775 MB and that includes about 8 or 9 addons running as well. Once they add sync across multiple pc's this browser will be a winner to me.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Using Quantum now and it's pretty damn fast, strange thing about the RAM though.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I dipped into using Edge for a little while to see if I could get on with it, and I really hated it. I might try Quantum soon. Chrome has been pissing me off more and more recently, and I want a change.

Hows the addon support for FF quantum so far? I only really need ublock origin and lastpass atm.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dipped into using Edge for a little while to see if I could get on with it, and I really hated it. I might try Quantum soon. Chrome has been pissing me off more and more recently, and I want a change.

Hows the addon support for FF quantum so far? I only really need ublock origin and lastpass atm.

Those two work with quantum.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This just pushed to my pc today. Not thrilled about the giant fuck whatever you were doing update but whatever. I didn't really notice anything major yet performance wise. I'll take some time tomorrow to play around with it some more.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Benchmarks I saw guys posting on twitter had RAM usage for quantum at like half that of chrome. I planned on testing it out, having 75013498 chrome tabs open is really cramping my style.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Firefox Quantum came out today and while it's fast, the browser is still a RAM hog. I have Twitch, FoH, and another website open in separate tabs and Firefox is taking up 2.3GB of RAM. Chrome usually only uses about 1GB of RAM. Did they forget to optimize RAM usage in this huge update?

imWWLCG.png

Cs2qDU5.png

That's Vivaldi running for me with a bunch of addons and 11 tabs open, which includes both Twitch and Youtube playing at the same time. I will include the caveat that I had just opened the browser a couple of minutes ago so it hadn't yet had the chance to load a ton of stuff into memory (if it does that) yet.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've been using Quantum for a little bit now and it seems pretty good. It's definitely better than Edge (lol) and it seems on par with Chrome.

It's a lot more customisable which I enjoy, and I really like that you can finally turn off scroll smoothing.

Seems good, and is taking about 200mb of ram per page right now.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I don't like that there isn't a solid way to see how bloated an extension is without checking one by one.

Other than that, firefox seems to be taking slightly more resources that chrome for me even with all extensions disabled on both on the exact same webpages. Wonder what the deal is with that?

I like the browser though, I might use it. Just feels good.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, everything seems to work perfectly fine. FoH logo is a little blurry it seems when it comes to the main page of firefox

blur.png

But it's probably not noticeable until I just now pointed it out. Other than that the actual site itself seems to have no issue.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In a world where I have 16GB ram on my home PC I couldnt give a shit if FF uses 2GB. I'm gonna try it out. Also I have a pihole setup that kills any ads on my network anyways so don't care about adblockers.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, ram is hardly an issue but still they advertise that they use less resources than chrome an it's just not true (at least for a handful of people). My testing was done using pure versions of both, no extensions and the exact same webpages. But it still feels pretty smooth and fast so I'm gonna use it for a little while cause why not. Honestly I haven't used FF in years but the customization is what is keeping me.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what it is making me feel this way, but I'm really liking Vivaldi a lot. I haven't checked things like memory usage or other technical aspects, but it hasn't had any lockups like Firefox does after I leave it open for a week with a bajillion tabs open. That's a huge plus for me. And using it just seems really intuitive. They definitely need sync though, I miss that a lot. The fact that this is basically in its infant state, and I like it so much, really encourages me about its future. I will never fully uninstall Firefox until Chrome/Vivaldi get an exact duplicate of DownThemAll though, but it hasn't happened for years so I don't think it ever will.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah, everything seems to work perfectly fine. FoH logo is a little blurry it seems when it comes to the main page of firefox

blur.png

But it's probably not noticeable until I just now pointed it out. Other than that the actual site itself seems to have no issue.

the toolbar bookmark icon looks like shit now.

Yeah I don't doubt that, we are working with an icon not made by a professional team and it is low res but good enough.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Anyone done any debugging with Quantum yet? Been playing with it at work today and while generally it’s fast as soon as I pop open dev tools it starts chugging.