Weight Loss Thread

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I called it the new fad diet, things come in and out of fashion. Just saying it's currently in right now. Carbs are delicious and there is a good reason most athletes who do carb light shit still have to carbo load before activities/workouts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You should read this entire thread to find out why you are wrong. You're also very wrong about the Atkins diet (seriously you're not even close and all the information you need is at Atkins.com or in the book) and that's been discussed quite a few times in this thread now as well.

@Fifey, I guess if you consider a diet (Atkins) that's been around since the 70s "new" and "fad" I suppose you're right.

I can't really fault you guys for thinking these things, the media blows this shit way out of proportion and idolizes or demonizes things based on crackpot theories, misinformation and bad "science".
I did read the book, back in the 90s. Tell me where im wrong.

I just went to the site and they changed it. I specifically remember in the beginning, when the book came out in the 90s', it was nothing about "healthy fats" That's why doctors at the time were all up on his shit for recommending all you can eat high fat proteins like bacon, eggs, cheeses etc... And no starchy carbs for the initial phase.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I did read the book, back in the 90s. Tell me where im wrong.

I just went to the site and they changed it. I specifically remember in the beginning, when the book came out in the 90s', it was nothing about "healthy fats" That's why doctors at the time were all up on his shit for recommending all you can eat high fat proteins like bacon, eggs, cheeses etc... And no starchy carbs for the initial phase.
The diet has barely changed since its inception Mkopec. I worked for Atkins Nutritionals and also personally knew Dr. Atkins. He never recommended eating slabs of bacon lathered in mayo and cheese like the demonizers claim. The problem was, in order to market the diet to people he and his marketing team chose a very poor slogan "Lose weight while eating decadent foods such as bacon cheeseburgers". The book and the man would tell you it's ok to eat those within reason but that slogan does make it sound like the diet itself advocates eating whatever low carb shit you want in whatever quantities you want. It never did. It has always advocated healthy fats, and the stringent first phase of the diet is meant for severely obese people or people who get discouraged easily because you will see results fast. You should still be eating carbs even in that first phase. The book clearly explains you can skip right to phase three and still lose weight and spells out precisely how long you should be in phase one and who should do it. For instance, the book has always recommended no more than 4 oz of cheese per day. Very clearly it says 4 oz per day.

By the way, most diets, even low fat diets will recommend staying away from starchy complex carbohydrates and make sure you're eating them in the appropriate portions (which are typically small). You are not remembering what you read in the book and confusing what you heard from anti-atkins fanatics with what the diet actually entails.

Khane

I called it the new fad diet, things come in and out of fashion. Just saying it's currently in right now. Carbs are delicious and there is a good reason most athletes who do carb light shit still have to carbo load before activities/workouts.
Did you know that even the Atkins diet states that when you are exercising you need to eat more carbs? That's right, your body needs carbohydrates to function and even low carb diets spell out for readers who bother to pay attention the importance of eating enough based on your physical activity. Both you and mkopec seriously need to read this thread and look at all the scientific evidence that has been presented here. You are taking what you've read or seen through the mainstream media as gospel instead of looking at the actual details of these lifestyle changes and their benefits. Low carb has never, ever meant no carb. Misinformed journalists and idiotic nutritionists are the only people who will ever claim that a low carb diet starves your body of important, needed carbohydrates because done appropriately, they don't.

Khane

I don't blame you for not remembering something you read 20 years ago. I am just a rabid defender of the Atkins diet because it changed my life.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm just going to jump rope until I drop every day until this fucking cold weather goes away. I just cannot bring myself to go to the gym in 5 degree weather, kudos to those of you who do.

My 315 deadlift will probably be less than 225, and I had gotten atg squat up to 295, doubt I'll be able to do 135 for very long due to flexibility issues.

And my deadlift is weak (in comparison to squat) because of my biceps/triceps. Very underdeveloped.
frown.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do bi/triceps affect deadlifts? For me the issue was always fear I would blow out my ballsack. I think I got up to 345 and started getting scared

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
A properly done deadlift will use pretty much every muscle in your body. But plenty (read: most) people do them improperly, such as only gripping the bar hard and just letting your shoulders hang wherever they want, thus not tightening your arms, etc.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just type in "deadlift bicep" in youtube and you'll see animals tearing tendons left and right lol/

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Do bi/triceps affect deadlifts? For me the issue was always fear I would blow out my ballsack. I think I got up to 345 and started getting scared
It is the connective tissue that matters in deadlifting, the muscles themselves play almost no role at all. Deadlift weights are (or should be) so ridiculously heavy compared to the size and strength of your arms that they only come into play as a rope to hang the weight from. With the exception of your grip to secure the weight of course.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Actually a lot of pro level athletes are starting to move away from high carb diets.

Check out the "Nutrition in the NBA" 3 part series

Nutrition in the NBA; Part I: Lessons learned in L.A. help Howard's career - CBSSports.comThe Lakers are now on a 50% fat, 25% protein 25% carb diet that is Paleo based. I really recommend reading all 3 parts.

Also, the Doctor for the Australian cricket team recently gave this talk about Elite Athletes and Low Carb

I think the next few years will see more pro teams across more sports moving away from heavy carbohydrate based diets.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't know about all the muscles.

I pretty much just assume hamstrings, glutes, lower back, lats, and traps. So posterior chain + some upper back. A good cue I learned was when you've already reached down to the bar, pull your lats down. It'll tighten up everything that needs to be outside of your abs, and also keep your back neutral.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Damn, how'd that happen?

I actually did the same thing several years ago, with close to the same amount of weight. Was going to rerack it and one side missed the pins. Luckily the other half DID make the pins, so that it didn't all come crashing down onto my face. Ended up with what was essentially a bit of road rash on my upper lip (smaller than a dime) from the knurling rubbing against the skin. Now I make it a point to ensure that it's fully racked before letting go.