Weight Loss Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm sure it's because of the large slabs of muscle that cover your entire body too, brah. Fist-bump, HELL YEA
You are pretty ignorant. The people that are heavier because they are muscular usually carry it in their thighs/ass, because those are the biggest muscles in the body and generate the most strength/power. Furthermore, lifting heavy makes your skeleton and connective tissue more dense, which can invisibly add a bit of weight by getting denser.Lookingmuscular is not the same as being muscular. They often go together, but not always.

When I was ~185 I had a 6-pack and while I wasn't quite as ripped as him I was close. I'm only 5'9.

BMI is meant for a population, not individuals. Being meant for a population does mean that it is a good measure for the majority of individuals in that population either. A population measurement is often a completely different thing than an individual measurement.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
You are pretty ignorant. The people that are heavier because they are muscular usually carry it in their thighs/ass, because those are the biggest muscles in the body and generate the most strength/power. Furthermore, lifting heavy makes your skeleton and connective tissue more dense, which can invisibly add a bit of weight by getting denser.Lookingmuscular is not the same as being muscular. They often go together, but not always.

When I was ~185 I had a 6-pack and while I wasn't quite as ripped as him I was close. I'm only 5'9.

BMI is meant for a population, not individuals. Being meant for a population does mean that it is a good measure for the majority of individuals in that population either. A population measurement is often a completely different thing than an individual measurement.
I don't disagree with anything you said, I was merely mocking the people who said a 180lb guy is "scrawny" or excessively skinny. Which is of course nonsense.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I agree that BMI can sometimes be out to lunch for people who are truly "built", with an abnormal amount of muscle. The vast, vast majority of people taking issue with BMI don't fall in to that category, though.
Dunno, some people just have a big frame while some people are just pencils. Either way people focus too much on #s, and not on actual metrics of being healthy(cholesterol, blood pressure, balanced diet etc.) you can be "overweight" but a bit more healthy than someone is at their ideal weight if you are active and exercise regularly compared to the ideal weight person.

Anyone have one of these? Or know of a better/cheaper version? Going to be moving and want to pick something like it up for the new place;

Amazon.com: Weider Power Tower: Sports Outdoors

lindz

#DDs
Anyone with knowledge of knee problems?

I've had bad knees since I was a teenager, sports injuries. Had arthroscopic surgery kn my left knee to have meniscus trimmed and torn parts removed. That knee now aches with weather changes and when I work it heavily, but it is fine for the most part. My right knee, which it was determined there were no problems with back in the day gives similar problems but also when working out regularly, I get TERRIBLE spasms in it. All surrounding and beneath the knee cap, excruciating pain that lasts for about 5-10 seconds then is totally fine. No problems after the spasm. This has been happening probably 3-5 times a day whenever I am regularly working out. I've seen two doctors who can see nothing wrong with it. I'm thinking of asking them to refer me to a sports medicine doctor again so I can get an MRI scheduled. Any idea what it could be? Likely just torn meniscus that they wasn't bad enough when I was a kid to see? I haven't been too worried about it over the years because the spasms are really the only time it gets to be too much.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dunno, some people just have a big frame while some people are just pencils. Either way people focus too much on #s, and not on actual metrics of being healthy(cholesterol, blood pressure, balanced diet etc.) you can be "overweight" but a bit more healthy than someone is at their ideal weight if you are active and exercise regularly compared to the ideal weight person.

Anyone have one of these? Or know of a better/cheaper version? Going to be moving and want to pick something like it up for the new place;

Amazon.com: Weider Power Tower: Sports Outdoors
That sounds like something a fat acceptance person would say. Don't let Fedor know you said that.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
OK since I was 19 I was "just a bartender" and I could not gain weight no matter how hard I tried (ya ya tragic I know). I graduated in Jan and got a "big boy" job working at a desk full time. I haven't been there more then TWO WEEKS and my ass has already gained 8 pounds. I chalk this up to not moving around / standing on my feet all day while bartending. Sitting all day and snacking. And being too tired / working too much to hit the gym.

Any ideas on filling / healthy snacks I can have in my desk drawer? It's not like I have bags of candy right now but I can only eat so much almonds, cliff bars, those good fruit rope twist things found at target, and granola bars. Also besides cocaine what do people do so that they don't just flop on the couch when they get home? Especially when you get home at 8pm some nights and have to be back up at 6? I know some people work out in the morning but my years and years of bartending has turned me into a night own and morning are the devil.

Any help is appreciated.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Was gonna say almonds but if that is out how about fruit or veggies, apples and pears always fill me up and high fiber veggies should work well too. My other go to is coffee, it always sates my hunger.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
clif bars are not a snack. They are a sustainable meal replacement for outdoor activities where space is a commodity, and the fruit thing, while I don't know exactly what it is sounds like a fruit roll up which is just not a good snack especially at a desk job. Get cashews to mix up with the almonds and/or keep some hummus and veggies in the fridge to snack on or strawberries (the greatest fruit on earth).

As far as the work thing goes, forget trying to get into an hour long routine, I would suggest a good 20-30 minute yoga session. DDP yoga is great for this. It's got a great beginners program and you will be sweating in the introductory 20 minute sessions.

But really, if you are sedentary all day long (and I work a desk job too so I know what it's like) you need to take in less calories. I actually just snack on my "lunch" food. Chicken, veggies etc. I pack a slightly bigger lunch and snack on it when I feel hungry.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Be careful if you're planning to graze on nuts during the day, or the calories can pile up really fast. Berries are great, like Khane said. I've always liked carrots and peppers with hummus.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
First when I started my job I put a box of ring dings in my desk, I'd be no help here.

Caffeine helps with tiredness though.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
OK since I was 19 I was "just a bartender" and I could not gain weight no matter how hard I tried (ya ya tragic I know). I graduated in Jan and got a "big boy" job working at a desk full time. I haven't been there more then TWO WEEKS and my ass has already gained 8 pounds. I chalk this up to not moving around / standing on my feet all day while bartending. Sitting all day and snacking. And being too tired / working too much to hit the gym.

Any ideas on filling / healthy snacks I can have in my desk drawer? It's not like I have bags of candy right now but I can only eat so much almonds, cliff bars, those good fruit rope twist things found at target, and granola bars. Also besides cocaine what do people do so that they don't just flop on the couch when they get home? Especially when you get home at 8pm some nights and have to be back up at 6? I know some people work out in the morning but my years and years of bartending has turned me into a night own and morning are the devil.

Any help is appreciated.
Are you snacking because you're genuinely hungry or because you're bored at work?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Also besides cocaine what do people do so that they don't just flop on the couch when they get home? Especially when you get home at 8pm some nights and have to be back up at 6? I know some people work out in the morning but my years and years of bartending has turned me into a night own and morning are the devil.
Don't make excuses, just work out in the morning. Wake up early so you can hit the gym and get it over with. It's an amazing feeling to go home from work and know that you've already taken care of your workout for the day. Not to mention the fact that working out is a great way to start your day and give a nice boost of energy and motivation to eat healthily. I speak from experience, as I work 2 jobs: one from 9am to 5pm and the other from 6pm to 10pm. Despite that I still wake up at 6:30am 5 days a week and hit the gym for 30 - 45 minutes.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I'm generally hungry.

While I bartended I was hitting the gym 3-4 days a week and now I'm lucky to get in 2.

Think I might have to go the veggies route. I counted my calories yesterday and I hit 2k before I left work (no dinner) the two p,b, and js were half of that though and although the pb is high in calories I consider it good for you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I second working out before work. I used to do it, and while it sucks waking up so early I never felt better. You stroll into work early feeling like you've done more before work than most people will do all week.

I should preface all comments I make by saying I started working in an office full-time about 2 months ago and put on 10 pounds. Went from a really active job to nothing.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm in the work out after camp, I can't wake up early to save my life. I get up around 7 everyday and it's a struggle. I usually just eat a cliff bar/odwalla bar around an hour before I get off work and that gives me the energy boost to go and work out.

I also work a physical job so I stay limber/moving all day so that might help too.