Weight Loss Thread

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm generally hungry.

While I bartended I was hitting the gym 3-4 days a week and now I'm lucky to get in 2.

Think I might have to go the veggies route. I counted my calories yesterday and I hit 2k before I left work (no dinner) the two p,b, and js were half of that though and although the pb is high in calories I consider it good for you.
Hmm...

What does your general diet look like? If you are getting a good number of Calories before dinner, but are still hungry, it might be the foods you eat as meals are not satiating enough. It also might be psychological, in which case fiber dense veggies are probably your best option.

When I do dumbell exercises, particularly chest press and chest fly it feels like my hands are way more tired than my arms/chest. I usually have to stop because I feel like my hands are giving out way before I feel that way for arms/chest. Does this mean I'm doing it wrong or do I just have weak hands and that will fix itself in time?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
What position are your wrists in when you do the exercises? Usually hands and wrists get stronger as you lift as long as you are good about keeping them in a good position, i.e. not bent but strait in line with your forearm. If you want to do something that will increase grip strength kettlebell swings can help with that while also giving you a good whole body workout.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When I do dumbell exercises, particularly chest press and chest fly it feels like my hands are way more tired than my arms/chest. I usually have to stop because I feel like my hands are giving out way before I feel that way for arms/chest. Does this mean I'm doing it wrong or do I just have weak hands and that will fix itself in time?
Your hands get tired? Like they can't physically hold the weight anymore?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, kind of a confusing problem, your hands shouldn't be struggling at all during either the chest press or chest fly, all of the weight should be over your forearms, gravity alone will keep the weights in place with proper form, so that you don't need to grip the weight much at all.

Here is a random video I googledHow To: Dumbbell Chest Press - YouTubehis chest fly video also looks like good form.

Sounds like maybe you are holding the weights in front of your forearms, like you don't have your wrist bent so that you are trying to support the weight with your hand? You should be able to open your grip completely while doing the chest press without the weight falling off. Same with the chest fly, up until just the very end of the movement all of the weight should be held in place by gravity against your hand without you needing to grip the weight...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've hurt my wrist before lifting heavy weights, but never my hands. I can only imagine something is wrong with his hands or form is terribly wrong.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I used to grip those babies nice and tight to make sure my forearm was getting stressed, cause fuck doing iso forearm workouts.

Besides fapping...

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Grab some heavy (for you) dumbells and see how long you can hold them. That should help you figure out whether your grip is weak, or if there's something wrong with your form.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Not sure if any have been mentioned in the thread, but are there any decent free apps in the Google store that I can add to my phone for workouts? Looking for something that I can make a schedule on it, that sort of thing. Thanks.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Update on my contest at work. Today was the 3rd week weigh in and im on top with 7.9% loss so far. Next dude is right behind me with 7.4% so its close. 9 more weeks to go.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure if any have been mentioned in the thread, but are there any decent free apps in the Google store that I can add to my phone for workouts? Looking for something that I can make a schedule on it, that sort of thing. Thanks.
maybe fitocracy would fit your needs?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Probably belongs in the rustled Jimmies thread but today during our breakfast break, we were eating Mexican bread with our coffee and the fat guy(350lbs) at work walks up and starts botching about how unhealthy bread is because Dr Oz or whatever said if you want to lose weight, you can't eat bread.

I hate fad diets so much.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eh, low carb diets aren't "fad" diets. The problem with Mr Fatty at your office is he's too stupid to listen to what most people would tell him about bread and how you need to eat actual whole wheat/grain and not eat an entire loaf of that enriched flour shit every day. Even the Atkins diet recommends whole wheat bread. All he hears is "NEVER EAT ANY BREAD OH MY GOD"

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Just cause they can be effective diets doesn't change the fact that it's very much the "new weight loss secret" though the gluten free bullshit is really catching on.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I do think there has to be something to the low carb thing. Yeah it was a fad but its been around a long time now.

The whole adkins thing took it to another level though. Basically not allowing any carbs in your diet at all for the first few week and putting your body into ketosis. Which is still pretty controversial.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
For most people, "the low carb thing" basically just boils down to creating a caloric deficit by eliminating the insane calorie bombs that are staples of the standard American diet: big bowls of pasta with bread on the side, sandwiches with enormous buns, etc. These same people are just stupid and think it's some kind of magic that the weight comes off when they stop eating carbs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you are going from a pure calorie savings then fat would be the thing to cut out first, rather than carbs. Since 45 grams of fat is 405 cal and 45 grams of carbs is only 180 cal.

But the whole Adkins thing turns all this upside down. Because in the initial "shock" phase of the diet he tells you to eat all the protein and fay you want, but no carbs, and yet while in ketosis you are still losing weight. You could literally be eating 3000-4000 calories a day of fat and protein and it did not matter.

So I think it a bit more complicated than just eliminating calories.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you are going from a pure calorie savings then fat would be the thing to cut out first, rather than carbs. Since 45 grams of fat is 405 cal and 45 grams of carbs is only 180 cal.

But the whole Adkins thing turns all this upside down. Because in the initial "shock" phase of the diet he tells you to eat all the protein and fay you want, but no carbs, and yet while in ketosis you are still losing weight. You could literally be eating 3000-4000 calories a day of fat and protein and it did not matter.

You should read this entire thread to find out why you are wrong. You're also very wrong about the Atkins diet (seriously you're not even close and all the information you need is at Atkins.com or in the book) and that's been discussed quite a few times in this thread now as well.

@Fifey, I guess if you consider a diet (Atkins) that's been around since the 70s "new" and "fad" I suppose you're right.

I can't really fault you guys for thinking these things, the media blows this shit way out of proportion and idolizes or demonizes things based on crackpot theories, misinformation and bad "science".

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

Obviously it's more complicated than just eliminating calories. That's been discussed in detail several times in this thread already. All calories are not the same, blah, blah, blah. For your standard, overweight desk jockey, ketosis and all this other scientific shit isn't necessary to lose weight. Stop eating empty calorie bombs in the form of bagels, pastas, white bread, etc., and BOOM, calorie deficit.