Weight Loss Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cad doesn't even know what he's saying. He thinks the cutoff between normal strength and roided out freak is like 220 lbs on a bench press. And he's acting like women want athletes for their money. How many fat as fuck offensive linemen you see fighting off rape cases and getting into child support trouble? Those fat slobs get the leftovers after the women strike out with the attractive athletes but still want to party for free.

Broke ass dudes who look like professional athletes get the same quality ass as the rich as fuck athletes do bros. We all know this.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Cad, by very nature of being a tall slender white male, is already in the top 10 percentile for looks. He is also a wealthy lawyer. I can understand why "leveling up" past a 225 bench seems kinda pointless to him, he has enough EXP in other areas of his life. Everyone gets to cruise with beginner gains up to a certain point and then things start to slow down and get frustrating.

That being said, my wife thought Bradley Cooper looked great in American Sniper. She said that pretty much any woman over the age of 25 is going to prefer a man with mass on him like that as opposed to the slim "I run 5ks and drink fruit juice, I'm so healthy!" look.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Do you think Bradley could see his penis at that size? Getting that large is not attractive. Unless you're into bears.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'd say goodbye to seeing my penis (except in a mirror) if I looked like Bradley Cooper in American Sniper. In a heartbeat.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Putting up huge lifting numbers is great if you're into that, but it's hardly necessary in order to be happy with how you look, or even be considered attractive by society in general. Anecdotally, the strongest people I see in the gym (i.e., the people I see squatting, benching, and deadlifting the heaviest weights) also tend to be the fattest. The more traditionally attractive people--meaning decent size with clear muscle definition/abs--lift heavy, but certainly nothing that would make anyone say "Wow!"

There's a guy who looks strikingly like Chris Evans from the Captain America movies in my gym, who goes on seemingly the same schedule I do because I see him every day. I don't recall ever seeing him bench more than the low 200s, and a large part of his time in the gym is spent with stuff like pull ups, box jumps, and other functional exercises.

Khane

Does anyone have the workout regimen Mr Cooper was following for that movie? I'd be surprised if he was power lifting to get into that kind of shape.

And Kuriin, who the fuck are you kidding? Yea there is a small percentage of people that are legitimately "grossed out" by that kind of physique but you know you'd lap up his Bikram ball sweat if he asked you to. Don't front.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Haha, I am genuinely not attracted to super muscular guys unless it's actually proportional. And, you know how rare that is (most guys at my gym tend to avoid legs and cardio), lol. But yeah, I'd lap up that ball stank.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone have the workout regimen Mr Cooper was following for that movie? I'd be surprised if he was power lifting to get into that kind of shape.

And Kuriin, who the fuck are you kidding? Yea there is a small percentage of people that are legitimately "grossed out" by that kind of physique but you know you'd lap up his Bikram ball sweat if he asked you to. Don't front.
Tons of food and composite lifts. I mean, powerlifting refers to squats/deads/bench...? I am like 95 percent sure that you could eat a shit-ton of food and squat/dead/bench your way to a pretty amazing physique, it just takes a few years (unless you have some pharmaceutical help, or coconut oil). One of the things that I think is important is that he isn't rocking a 10 percent BF like people have grown to expect from a Hollywood leading man. They definitely had him at above-ab level which looked much more realistic and contributed to the size factor.

The SOCOM guy I saw in AFG had a very similar physique; his work-outs were all composite and plyometric. Sprints while pulling a heavy length of chain, sledgehammering tires, flipping tires... etc etc.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The SOCOM guy I saw in AFG had a very similar physique; his work-outs were all composite and plyometric. Sprints while pulling a heavy length of chain, sledgehammering tires, flipping tires... etc etc.
Thats the point though, those guys are getting strong because their life might depend on being strong in 100 different ways; their endurance might save their life. And being a 10% BF ripped athlete is NOT the best way to be strong/powerful. But us office chair athletes 99% care about looks, aside from helping a friend move I'll never pick up anything heavy in my life.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Agreed, Cad.

I understand why a SOCOM guy (or an actor depicting one) wants to be strong. I also understand why you don't think its necessary. You are 6'1 180 (?) and want to get smaller, I'm 6'1 210 and want to get bigger. We obviously have different goals.

Have you considered that the most likely place in your life for you to injure yourself is torsion while carrying weight (i.e., helping a friend move). This is just me inferring, here, and I have no sources... but I'm going to guess that men are more likely to hurt themselves moving weight that is a sizable fraction of their 1RM as opposed to moving weight they find trivially light. I like to think of building strength (and the corresponding lean body mass) as building armor against potential injuries down the line. Progressively increasing strength also progressively prompts an adaptation response; more bone mass, ligament/tendon strength, muscle. I feel like if you just, stop going up in weight at 200 or wherever you ceased, that you're really selling yourself short.

That being said, I also like chasing goals in the gym to keep me focused... I think I'll be unhappy a few years later when I no longer get to look forward to making gains.

Xevy

Log Wizard
All the Seals at my work were about 5'7 and 160lbs. Like all of them. Their Commander was late 30's early 40's and he was the biggest at maybe 5'10 and 180ish.

Also lol @ coconut oil being magical or something.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bradley Cooper looked like a fat shit in American Sniper. If that's your goal physique, you're fucking retarded.

And yes, powerlifters tend to hold extra fat. Know why? Look at Alan Thrall. Fucker takes in 10,000 calories a day. Still looks better than anyone on this forum and 99% of the world.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You're right, he was pretty disgusting.
He just didn't seem lean at all. Look at his arms. His chest and shoulders look big but he has no definition in his arms at all.

rrr_img_88560.jpg

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I think that physique more appropriately captures what a strong man looks like. Time is more efficiently spent developing back/chest/core/legs than doing seven permutations of bicep curls. Plus, if you thinned him down to 10 percent BF and dehydrated him a little he'd look more like a conventional fitness model.

I mean, this is all subjective so who really gives a shit... but no one would actually look at a 6'1 225lb 20% BF man with that physique and think ("ehh shitty arms wat u doing bro"). He (or, the character he was portraying) looks like he knows what he's all about.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I think that physique more appropriately captures what a strong man looks like. Time is more efficiently spent developing back/chest/core/legs than doing seven permutations of bicep curls. Plus, if you thinned him down to 10 percent BF and dehydrated him a little he'd look more like a conventional fitness model.

I mean, this is all subjective so who really gives a shit... but no one would actually look at a 6'1 225lb 20% BF man with that physique and think ("ehh shitty arms wat u doing bro"). He (or, the character he was portraying) looks like he knows what he's all about.
Thats the point dude, whats the point of being "strong" ? Its a good idea for a soldier or an MMA fighter, but for your average gym-goer, who gives a fuck how strong you actually are? People work out to look better.

And to answer your earlier question, I think all the stress on your back/knees from the years of carrying around all that extra weight would be FAR more likely to cause damage than the once or twice I help someone move. And that was tongue in cheek anyway, I don't help people move. People hire movers.

Nevermind the heart damage you're causing by overeating in order to gain weight to get strong.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You do know it doesn't have to be one or the other right?

Every workout for me begins with a strength-oriented compound movement (i.e. the big four). I don't spend the rest of my workout focusing on strength, but filling the muscles with blood and focusing on time under tension. You can be strong as fuck and still look good, why are you guys pretending these are fucking binary ideas? None of you lazy shits are going to be a world class powerlifter or a fucking Olympian competitor. You want to be strong? Focus on the big four. You want to look good? Focus on your shitty diet and do the appropriate amount of accessory work. They're not worlds apart here people...

Khane

The point though Cad was you were saying women don't like overly muscular men. I agree but you're talking about dudes who physically look like they take steroids, they look unnatural and ridiculous. You could (if you wanted to) become a lot stronger (not saying you're weak) without looking like that. You would still look perfectly natural and very physically pleasing.

You don't need to be a chiseled Adonis to be attractive of course which is part of what you're saying, but if you hit the gym harder because you wanted to become stronger you wouldn't look unappealing.