Weight Loss Thread

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
day 3 of just drinking coffee and eating dinner at 8, i feel out of breath on the stair climber, but that could also be cuz i might have covid-21

i'm cheating with nitro coffee
If at all possible, eat your meal before 6:30 if you want I’ll look up the information about that.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard

I’ve got more if you want.

• 1Moron

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just for everyone else, for a guy who doesn’t know shit about fat burning I burned nearly 50% of my body weight in a little over 3 months, I’ve lost nearly as much weight and kept it off as that cunt stain Ossoi currently weights and I did it sitting on my ass not doing a god damn thing while he busted his ass and brute forced it. I worked smarter not harder.

You brute forced this, I sat around on my ass and lost nearly as much fat as you currently weight.

Next time you put on a little weight and go back at it, try what I told you. Work out in a fasted state, I’m not telling you to not eat I’m telling you don’t eat before you work out In the morning and I bet you will experience better results.

you lost weight it was effective and you liked what you were doing but if you wanted to maximize it as you claimed you made it a priority you were doing it wrong. You can get results while not maximizing,

17 pounds of fat, I did 50 in that time with insulin resistance and type two diabetes you suck at weight loss.

If your priority is losing fat you are doing it wrong, sorry.

So Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre has repeatedly argued that him starting at 300lbs+ and going down to 180lbs is somehow comparable to me starting at 180lbs and going down to 158-160lbs. And that because I "only" lost 20lbs then that means a) I wasn't optimising what I was doing b) that he could have done better

I tried to explain to him why it's retarded to compare the two (and he even acknowledged that we have different goals) but he didn't seem to grasp, so here's the actual data (to go with the photos, the MFP logs and the 4.5 years of daily weight data I've already provided to back up my arguments:

Screenshot (68).png

Screenshot (67).png

Here's my two DXA scans, six months apart. The first was a month or so before I started using an online coach, he revised my macros every week and gave me a training program.

You can see that over the six months, I gained 9.4lbs of lean mass and and 4.3lbs of fat.

The point of showing this is to get an idea of how much body fat/lean mass I started with for the 9 week cut of 17lbs that Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre claims wasn't "maximising".

Don't have any more DEXA's but I think it's fairly safe to use the above figures for this comparison:

12kg / 26.4lbs body fat
70kg / 154lbs lean mass
81.8kg / 180lbs starting weight on 18 May 2020

18 July 2020 I was 73.8kg / 162lbs

2kg / 4.4lbs of that was probably water weight, from being on lower carbs.

So that leaves 13lbs to come off, the majority of which would be fat - because I was still training and keeping protein high to minimise muscle loss.

So from 26lbs starting body fat, I lost 13lbs of body fat.

So 162lbs body weight, 13lbs body fat = 8% body fat.

I tried to explain to him that:

a) you have zero experience of being close to 10% body fat, let alone being in single digit figures
b) when you are this low on body fat it obviously becomes slower / harder to keep losing fat
c) to get lower I would have to keep reducing calories e.g 1200, carbs would be minimal (20g or less) and I would have to increase my activity (from 10k steps per day to 15k-20k)

Needless to say, it isn't as easy as he thinks it is.

I wasn't doing this for a show or anything, but for a holiday

Yes, this is borderline autistic, but it's another example of how someone with ZERO experience in the actual field is trying to lecture someone who's literally in the trenches.

Everytime he's been presented with similar data and asked to concede/retract, he doubled down - which is why this thread got derailed

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ossoi, sub 10 percent body fat is within your grasp and its very very simple. ZERO exercise necessary:

(this was actually a very good movie I saw some years ago, i'll need to put it up on the movie recommendations thread, but your quest for zero fat brought it back to my mind)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Screenshot_20210307-014947.jpg

Randomly saw this on Twitter just now, Bill knows his stuff.

Another example of why lecturing someone like me about fasting, who as I stated multiple times is interested in body composition over just "weight loss", was retarded

• 1Like

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is probably a really bad idea, but I thought I would weigh in here. For background, I am dentist (make fun of me all you want for that) and that means I have completed 4 years of post-college education in all the normal subjects (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, immunology, etc...). That doesn't make me an expert on anything, but I just list it to show that I am no stranger to scientific journals or peer-reviewed research.

I have a strong interest in nutrition and have done a lot of research on the topic. I have read Dr. Fung's books and watched the YouTube Channels that Burnem is referencing, such as Dr. Eric Berg, Thomas Delauer, etc....

I read the last few pages and thought I would chime in on a few topics.

First off, I saw a lot of hangups on the discussion about calorie restriction and metabolism. Fasting is obviously a form of calorie restriction, but when we talk about metabolism, calorie restriction is an incomplete equation. I think Dr. Fung goes into this in his video about "The two compartment problem". Your body reduces your metabolism when its energy needs exceed its available energy consistently. Eating in a calorie restricted manner doesn't mean your body can't meet its energy needs necessarily. Take someone like Ossoi who is in very good shape. He works out regularly and has low body fat. From my understanding his metabolism isn't effected by his calorie restriction because it can access the energy not received through his caloric intake from fast stores because his insulin is well regulated. As his metabolism burns through the glucose energy, insulin levels fall (because insulin is related to blood glucose levels in a healthy person without insulin resistance problems) and he can access stored fat for energy. So even eating plenty of carbs, he can still lose fat, because his metabolism is high enough to use what he is eating and he has access to his fat stores for anything extra he needs. His metabolism stays healthy because his body gets all the energy it needs and he cuts fat at the same time.

Now take someone that is more average that is not starting from the same point as Ossoi. Take someone even mildly insulin resistant who gets way less exercise. Every time, they eat, they spike their insulin to remove glucose from their bloodstream like we all do. But they can't move the glucose into storage as fast, they don't burn it off as fast, and their insulin stays elevated for a longer period of time. Say that person eats 500 calories less than their body needs. That is a person that will see metabolic slowdown, because without access to stored fat, their body cannot meet its energy needs. And that access is regulated by Insulin.

Both Ossoi and that person have the same hormone response, but Ossoi uses the glucose faster and his insulin drops faster. No metabolic slow down for him.

From all of my research, it seems pretty clear that you cannot access the energy stored in fatty tissue with high insulin. High insulin consistently leads to insulin resistance. Increased resistance leads to your body making more and more insulin, which leads to more resistance...now you have diabetes. Conventional diabetes treatments seem to be an attempt to mask symptoms rather than treat a diseases. Your body cannot remove the high amounts of glucose from your blood, so you throw more and more insulin at it to force feed glucose to your adipose tissue. Those people will not lose weight no matter how many calories they restrict because they are never getting that energy out of their fat cells with so much insulin in circulation. Yes, I realize I said never and thats a bit dramatic. I'm sure there are outliers out there.

This is getting long, so let me switch gears before no one reads the rest of this. Some posters jumped on Burnem for being in a calorie restricted diet as well, i.e. Starving himself. But its not the same thing. He is an calorie deficit, but not an energy deficit. During fasts, his body happily consumes energy from stored fat, exactly how it has evolved to do. Metabolism stays normal since his body has all the energy it needs. Naturally, this would reach a plateau as he burns through his fat stores. Someone like Ossoi, who has very little stored fat, would not benefit from such a practice because he would truely be in a starvation situation after he burned through all his glucose energy. He would have access to fat stores, which would quite literally be a nearly empty tank.

Intermittent fasting to lose excess weight is just allowing your body to do what it has evolved to do in a safe and efficient way. Its literally allowing your body to operate as it evolved to operate. Store fat when you have excess food, burn fat when you have insufficient food. Not helpful or even safe at low body fat percentages. And finally Insulin regulates all of this access to stored fat. Both Ossoi and Burnem are subject to the same hormonal regulation, they are just at different points on the spectrum.

And I think it was Kirun asking about metabolism during fasting. One contributing factor I think in the increased metabolism is there is supposedly a really large jump in HGH during fasting and formation of lean muscle mass. I want to say it happens around the 36 hour mark, but I'll have to go research that some more. It makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint though. If we got sluggish/tired/weak after fasting for a day, the species would have died out long ago

Thats enough for now.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Here is a statement regarding Growth Hormone timing and fasting

Growth hormone increases by 1300-2000% at the 24 hour mark[iv]. After 3 days of fasting, GH increases dramatically in non-obese individuals, but flats out after day 10[v][vi]. In obese people, there is little to no reported rise after fasting from 14 to 38 days [vii].

This doesn't appear to have any real effect on metabolism based on another study I just read, but at least it should be protective towards lean muscle mass in short term fasting.

Here is the full study.

Edit: I'm not finding a whole lot on fasting boosting metabolism. I have heard the claim before. So even though Ossoi called him a Quack, here is an interesting video of Dr. Fung talking about Fasting and Metabolism.

He says that the metabolic boost comes mainly from an increase in adrenaline production which is needed to mobilize fat stores for energy. I can't find anything that quantifies the metabolic increase, so maybe its just a "Hey look, not only does fasting protect your metabolism, but it even boosts it a little bit" kind of thing.

• 2Like

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
This is probably a really bad idea, but I thought I would weigh in here. For background, I am dentist (make fun of me all you want for that) and that means I have completed 4 years of post-college education in all the normal subjects (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, immunology, etc...). That doesn't make me an expert on anything, but I just list it to show that I am no stranger to scientific journals or peer-reviewed research.

I have a strong interest in nutrition and have done a lot of research on the topic. I have read Dr. Fung's books and watched the YouTube Channels that Burnem is referencing, such as Dr. Eric Berg, Thomas Delauer, etc....

I read the last few pages and thought I would chime in on a few topics.

First off, I saw a lot of hangups on the discussion about calorie restriction and metabolism. Fasting is obviously a form of calorie restriction, but when we talk about metabolism, calorie restriction is an incomplete equation. I think Dr. Fung goes into this in his video about "The two compartment problem". Your body reduces your metabolism when its energy needs exceed its available energy consistently. Eating in a calorie restricted manner doesn't mean your body can't meet its energy needs necessarily. Take someone like Ossoi who is in very good shape. He works out regularly and has low body fat. From my understanding his metabolism isn't effected by his calorie restriction because it can access the energy not received through his caloric intake from fast stores because his insulin is well regulated. As his metabolism burns through the glucose energy, insulin levels fall (because insulin is related to blood glucose levels in a healthy person without insulin resistance problems) and he can access stored fat for energy. So even eating plenty of carbs, he can still lose fat, because his metabolism is high enough to use what he is eating and he has access to his fat stores for anything extra he needs. His metabolism stays healthy because his body gets all the energy it needs and he cuts fat at the same time.

Now take someone that is more average that is not starting from the same point as Ossoi. Take someone even mildly insulin resistant who gets way less exercise. Every time, they eat, they spike their insulin to remove glucose from their bloodstream like we all do. But they can't move the glucose into storage as fast, they don't burn it off as fast, and their insulin stays elevated for a longer period of time. Say that person eats 500 calories less than their body needs. That is a person that will see metabolic slowdown, because without access to stored fat, their body cannot meet its energy needs. And that access is regulated by Insulin.

Both Ossoi and that person have the same hormone response, but Ossoi uses the glucose faster and his insulin drops faster. No metabolic slow down for him.

From all of my research, it seems pretty clear that you cannot access the energy stored in fatty tissue with high insulin. High insulin consistently leads to insulin resistance. Increased resistance leads to your body making more and more insulin, which leads to more resistance...now you have diabetes. Conventional diabetes treatments seem to be an attempt to mask symptoms rather than treat a diseases. Your body cannot remove the high amounts of glucose from your blood, so you throw more and more insulin at it to force feed glucose to your adipose tissue. Those people will not lose weight no matter how many calories they restrict because they are never getting that energy out of their fat cells with so much insulin in circulation. Yes, I realize I said never and thats a bit dramatic. I'm sure there are outliers out there.

This is getting long, so let me switch gears before no one reads the rest of this. Some posters jumped on Burnem for being in a calorie restricted diet as well, i.e. Starving himself. But its not the same thing. He is an calorie deficit, but not an energy deficit. During fasts, his body happily consumes energy from stored fat, exactly how it has evolved to do. Metabolism stays normal since his body has all the energy it needs. Naturally, this would reach a plateau as he burns through his fat stores. Someone like Ossoi, who has very little stored fat, would not benefit from such a practice because he would truely be in a starvation situation after he burned through all his glucose energy. He would have access to fat stores, which would quite literally be a nearly empty tank.

Intermittent fasting to lose excess weight is just allowing your body to do what it has evolved to do in a safe and efficient way. Its literally allowing your body to operate as it evolved to operate. Store fat when you have excess food, burn fat when you have insufficient food. Not helpful or even safe at low body fat percentages. And finally Insulin regulates all of this access to stored fat. Both Ossoi and Burnem are subject to the same hormonal regulation, they are just at different points on the spectrum.

And I think it was Kirun asking about metabolism during fasting. One contributing factor I think in the increased metabolism is there is supposedly a really large jump in HGH during fasting and formation of lean muscle mass. I want to say it happens around the 36 hour mark, but I'll have to go research that some more. It makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint though. If we got sluggish/tired/weak after fasting for a day, the species would have died out long ago

Thats enough for now.
leonardo dicaprio bravo GIF

Bravo sir, couldn’t agree with you more.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Here is a statement regarding Growth Hormone timing and fasting

This doesn't appear to have any real effect on metabolism based on another study I just read, but at least it should be protective towards lean muscle mass in short term fasting.

Here is the full study.

Edit: I'm not finding a whole lot on fasting boosting metabolism. I have heard the claim before. So even though Ossoi called him a Quack, here is an interesting video of Dr. Fung talking about Fasting and Metabolism.

He says that the metabolic boost comes mainly from an increase in adrenaline production which is needed to mobilize fat stores for energy. I can't find anything that quantifies the metabolic increase, so maybe its just a "Hey look, not only does fasting protect your metabolism, but it even boosts it a little bit" kind of thing.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider

The abstract of that article seems to support what Dr. Fung is saying. Full article is locked behind a subscription though. I'm going to go to bed now, but maybe I'll try to find the full article from elsewhere in the morning.

Sterling

El Presidente
Are people suggesting that someone that's obese and sitting on a couch that needs to lose a bunch of weight is different than a low fat active person that's just trying to cut?

• 2Worf

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Are people suggesting that someone that's obese and sitting on a couch that needs to lose a bunch of weight is different than a low fat active person that's just trying to cut?
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Combine it with truck driver lung and prostate cancer eating all the energy it’s a whole new weightloss world.

• 1Worf

Izo

Tranny Chaser
What Faux Faux is getting at is pretty much what we’re taught in med school from physiology and biochemistry, sans the IF. We have different antidiabetic drugs now that changes the picture a bit, treatment wise for niddm. Interesting posts - wl is not a forte of mine.

So, is the consensus here from the FoH expert panel IF for fatties with wl in mind? Ossoi the greak god is not my usual ptt, heh.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Precisely. If you're fat and obsessed with food, and starve yourself for 3 days then eat one meal, you will absolutely lose weight. Our bodies evolved this way because food sources were not always guaranteed when we were hunting food in the tall grasses of Africa. If you're naturally ripped and can workout and become Rocky in Rocky 4, then you'll always slay pussy.

• 1Worf