Weight Loss Thread

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Have yall ever tried exercising together? My girlfriend is a freak of nature ultra marathoner, and she can hop on a bike at any point and knock out 30-40 miles with me without struggling. I love riding with her, listening to music, and just gawking over her sexy body while on the bike. And it's like quiet intimate time, don't always have to talk, but just love being together.
We have a 2 year old and I work a lot of hours he’ll I’m back at work and been here since 11 pm last night and will be out here until possibly 10-11 pm tonight. Luckily I’ll sleep in the truck so when I am home I spend my time with her and the kid. We simply don’t have time for it, the closest thing I do for exercise is sit in sauna my next door neighbor has in his backyard, that and chasing my kid around a park.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
"the studies" say that insulin resistance is a natural part of aging and everyone (yes you too Ossoi) will become more insulin resistant with age.

So going back to metformin as a preventative theraputic...... if one were to take metformin, even if just at night before bedtime when the liver naturally releases sugar into the body, and the metformin blocks some of this sugar, wouldn't that over time stave off the age related insulin resistance?

If one were to maintain a healthy insulin response for as long as possible, then that is the foundation of much easier: maintaining healthy weight, better results from exercise and all the rest.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Also you keep calling me a truck driver, yes I have a CDL class A with tanker and Hazmat but I’m essentially a high priced baby sitter for this pump.

Attachments

• 58801FE7-EA34-4458-A87B-31C4E36A0D83.jpeg
    58801FE7-EA34-4458-A87B-31C4E36A0D83.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
This is probably another semantic argument. Insulin increase after eating has magnitude and duration. The science is pretty clear that you are not burning fat in an appreciable way when your insulin is elevated. Being healthy and active to a level far greater than the general population, you are able to use that glucose energy faster and as such the duration of your increased insulin is shorter. Meaning you get back to a low insulin state with access to fat stores far faster than normal people. I don't believe you are burning any fat at all while your insulin is high.

Take me as a comparison. I'm 42 years old, 6'1" and 205 lbs. I am non-diabetic, taking no medications. I'm in ok cardiovascular shape but have some visceral fat around my midsection. Kind of a typical dad bod. I'd like to be about 185. I probably have some level of insulin resistance and my metabolism is almost certainly lower than yours. So if I ate 200-400g of carbs in a day, my insulin after each meal would stay higher than yours for longer. Neither one of us would burn fat while the insulin was elevated, but yours would be elevated for a shorter period of time, which is why you can eat the way you do and it wouldn't work for me.

Ok, now add metformin to your daily routine.... /profit?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
"the studies" say that insulin resistance is a natural part of aging and everyone (yes you too Ossoi) will become more insulin resistant with age.

So going back to metformin as a preventative theraputic...... if one were to take metformin, even if just at night before bedtime when the liver naturally releases sugar into the body, and the metformin blocks some of this sugar, wouldn't that over time stave off the age related insulin resistance?

If one were to maintain a healthy insulin response for as long as possible, then that is the foundation of much easier: maintaining healthy weight, better results from exercise and all the rest.
If my doctor were to give me metformin I’d take it, he won’t so I go with natural remedies such as apple cider vinegar and berbine and internet fasting along with low carb diet.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
If my doctor were to give me metformin I’d take it, he won’t so I go with natural remedies such as apple cider vinegar and berbine and internet fasting along with low carb diet.

time to dr. shop, that shit is so cheap. 4 dollars for 60 pills, take a extended release at bedtime, keep your cells more insulin receptive longer. It all sounds like a magic pill, but its been around forever. I'm having a hard time finding anything negative written about it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Thomas Delauer gives me the impression that he'll say literally anything someone gives him money to say. He's got like a dozen different youtube channels for specific product lines.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This is probably another semantic argument. Insulin increase after eating has magnitude and duration. The science is pretty clear that you are not burning fat in an appreciable way when your insulin is elevated. Being healthy and active to a level far greater than the general population, you are able to use that glucose energy faster and as such the duration of your increased insulin is shorter. Meaning you get back to a low insulin state with access to fat stores far faster than normal people. I don't believe you are burning any fat at all while your insulin is high.

OK, you made a strong entrance, coming in with your credentials and making a long, thought out response.

But ultimately you're still trying to simultaneously defend the same sweeping, blanket and untrue assertions re carbs/insulin and fat loss.

You've just repeated the same ludicrous claim that Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre used to try and defend his model against evidence to the contrary consisting of high carb intake food logs and corresponding fat loss, muscle gain and weight loss.

Me: Tracks his daily calorie intake and macro intake each day using MFP. Only cares about whether I am in a calorie deficit or surplus and hitting macro targets. See's the scale go down and adjusts accordingly as he gets closer to his weight target. Interprets results as evidence for a) calorific deficit works b) carbs don't make you fat

You and Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre "what we are saying is true, even though you demonstrated the complete opposite = that you can spike insulin, eat carbs and improve your body composition significantly - because even though you were eating 200-400g of carbs and losing fat, gaining muscle etc - what was actually happening, was all the actual fat burning happened outside of the times you ate carbs. Don't you get it?

It really is irrelevant (to me at least) when the fat burning happened. I could care less if it happened whilst I was asleep, taking a shit, having a wank or arguing with people on an internet forum - the only thing that matters is that I burnt fat and improved my body recomposition.

(And besides, it's obvious to me after 4.5 years of daily weigh-ins - that "weight loss" happens when you're asleep. When I'm several weeks into a diet, I literally can't wait to wake up and jump on the scale to see how much my weight has come down)

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
time to dr. shop, that shit is so cheap. 4 dollars for 60 pills, take a extended release at bedtime, keep your cells more insulin receptive longer. It all sounds like a magic pill, but its been around forever. I'm having a hard time finding anything negative written about it.

So, you've already read about the mechanism of action of metformin. Amazingly it won't cause hypoglycemia, putting you in a coma. So that's good. The other main side effect is a lactic acidosis that can be made much worse with any injury to your kidneys. So like even if you got severely dehydrated the metformin could set you off there. Just don't go insane and like run a marathon without drinking water. And if you have any history of kidney disease, don't take it without labs first. And expect GI side effects... Another side effect is weight loss.

I hate taking any medication... but if there were three I'd take for prevention it'd be metformin, a statin, and aspirin. Looking forward to the next 100 pages of bro science about evil statins.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's fucking genius! I have that same frother on my countertop for coffee. I saw this with all respect, you are the food appliance guru.
yea i bought mine for the nespresso, but we don't drink enough milk to make it worth while, but of course we're asian so we have a lot of teas, and matcha was the annoying one cuz of the constant whisking

• 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
According to some harvard guy metformin makes you immortal by putting a constant low level stress on your cells. That was a fun video.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'll make this pretty simple to avoid this thread going round in the same circle of retard logic as the past 48 hours

faux circle.jpg

All I wanted was for Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre to concede that the first two statements are not true for everyone - and that if you're exercising frequently and in relatively good, physical shape eg - lower in body fat, then you can incorporate carbs into your diet and still lose body fat.

Likewise, I want Faux Faux to also concede, that regardless of when your body is burning fat, the end result is that it is possible for some people to eat carbs and lose fat.

Just admit that your statements/assertions do not apply to everyone.

That's it.

Simple.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
According to some harvard guy metformin makes you immortal by putting a constant level stress on your cells. That was a fun video.
Something to do with sartuins, metformin resveratrol (spelling?) and NMN. I take two out of three because I can’t get metformin but use berberine because it’s supposed to be a natural version of metformin and I think you are talking about David Sinclair.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ok, who is the tard in here saying you can eat carbs and still lose weight?!! I want a detailed explanation of this fallacy and it better take 6-7 pages or I won't believe a word of it!

• 1Worf

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Faux Faux

You're just repeating the same "circle of retard logic" that Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre made all day yesterday.

You make a blanket assertion: "reducing refined carbs like pasta etc will reduce the insulin response, which blocks lipolysis"

When challenged on the blanket assertion via my results and carb intake, you agree that some people aka me, can lose fat and achieve improved body composition despite carb intake.

So we are now at the same point I continually challenged Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre on

"Will you retract your blanket assertion and concede that some people can lose fat despite eating significant amounts of carbs"

I'll try this one more time and then I'm moving onto more productive things. Insulin blocks lipolysis and downregulates production of the hormones that increase lipolysis. Lipolysis is the breakdown of stored fat for energy. If you are claiming that Insulin doesn't do this, then you must cite your source.

You seem to be implying that your carb intake and results fly in the face of this mechanism, and I am saying they don't. You aren't burning fat in the presence of increased insulin. You have to use that carb energy or move that glucose out of your blood stream into muscle or fat cells before your insulin falls to a level that allows lipolysis to restart. Due to your muscle mass, high activity level, and high insulin sensitivity (I assume) that happens quickly for you compared to the general population. Its the difference between a steap peak and fast fall off for you vs a step peak and a more gradual fall off for the majority of people who are not as active as you.

Here is an article that gets referenced a lot.

Its an attempt to measure insulin response to various foods. There is variability within each macronutrient group but the overall conclusion was that Total Carbohydrate dosing was positively correlated to insulin secretion, whereas Fat and Protein dosing was negatively correlated. By that, I mean that the more total carbs you have the worse the insulin response, where as with fat and protein, you don't have that correlation. The That doesn't mean that all carbs are bad. Starches were negatively correlated, fiber was negatively correlated, etc...

So according to the data, eating less refined carbohydrates and sugar will give you an improved insulin response during meal times. Improved insulin response means less time blocking lipolysis. Thats all he is saying in that statement. Better insulin profile facilitates access to burning fat (lipolysis). Reducing refined carbs and sugar gives a better insulin profile. Its a general statement that will successfully apply to an overwhelming majority of humans.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
You and Burnem Wizfyre Burnem Wizfyre "what we are saying is true, even though you demonstrated the complete opposite = that you can spike insulin, eat carbs and improve your body composition significantly - because even though you were eating 200-400g of carbs and losing fat, gaining muscle etc - what was actually happening, was all the actual fat burning happened outside of the times you ate carbs. Don't you get it?

My credentials don't really mean anything. I just put them because I figured someone would ask. None of this nutritional stuff was taught in school, beyond extreme basics focusing around frequency of eating and sugar intake and its effects on dental health.

I do get it. You don't lose fat if your insulin is high. Thats how insulin functions. The statement is a general statement aimed at the general population to help them lose weight in a healthy way. This is the population who struggles to find 30 minutes a day to walk. No shit it isn't necessary or useful to bodybuilders or super active people. You have taken a generalization about the function of insulin and the elevated effects of refined carbohydrates and sugars on insulin levels and insulin resistance that is aimed at our obese general population and claimed it is shit because it doesn't apply to the edge cases like you.

With that, time to go do more productive things.

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Faux Faux

faux more retard logic.jpg

Are you conceding or not, because all your two posts look like is some wishy-washy attempt to simultaneously concede whilst maintaining that you are still technically correct and right all along

claimed it is shit because it doesn't apply to the edge cases like you.

I've said all along - low carb is fine for someone that is overweight and/or not exercising. The more weight you lose and the more active you are, the more carbs you can tolerate. But nice straw man

Its an attempt to measure insulin response to various foods

Dude, lol - do you think I'm denying that eating carbs spike insulin?

I've already said multiple times - I consume my carbs during and post workout, to spike insulin, to get glycogen to my muscles faster. lol.

What is being debated is the assertion that "you don't lose fat if your insulin is high"

You're trying to win on a technicality : because even though you were eating 200-400g of carbs and losing fat, gaining muscle etc - what was actually happening, was all the actual fat burning happened outside of the times you ate carbs. Don't you get it?

I've told you what my carb intake looked like:

Breakfast: Protein and Fat
During Workout A: 25g carbs
Postworkout Shake A: carbs/protein
Postworkout Meal A: carbs protein
During workout B: 25g carbs
Postworkout shake B: carbs/protein
Postworkout meal B: carbs protein
Occasional: Dominoes Chicken Wings, Pizza and Cookies

Your attempt to win at a technicality is by the unsubstantiated claim that all my fat burning is happening when I'm not eating carbs. Ignoring sleep when nobody is eating anything, when is this mythical period of fat burning taking place?

It really is irrelevant (to me at least) when the fat burning happened. I could care less if it happened whilst I was asleep, taking a shit, having a wank or arguing with people on an internet forum - the only thing that matters is that I burnt fat and improved my body recomposition.

kudos for totally ignoring the above.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I hate taking any medication... but if there were three I'd take for prevention it'd be metformin, a statin, and aspirin. Looking forward to the next 100 pages of bro science about evil statins.
After taking a break from this thread because it was incredibly unproductive, I want to try to move it in a better direction overall.

That in mind, while I have my own opinion on statins from personal research and experience with family taking them, why would it be one of you picks for preventative medication for an otherwise healthy person?

• 1Like