Weight Loss Thread

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Withings. Black. Reflection of my balls while it calcs my bmi, water, fatty and bonedensity is priceless.
Lol funny. I just came back to this thread to edit my post to say I found one - gonna go with withings. Glad to hear I’ll be able to see my balls in the reflection

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Any good fitness apps people can recommend? Curious to see what’s out there.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
what is this 1992? Cmon guys.
Whatever spreadsheet software you like, then. All you need to do is track how many calories you are eating to lose weight. If you want to convert what weight you settle on into muscle, then just track how many reps you are putting into each muscle group daily/weekly. Adjust upwards until you get to where you want, then just be sure to do some cardio and stretching regularly to maintain it. Weight loss and fitness are 99% focus and willpower. The last 1% is tracking and planning. If you really really need help with that 1% then sign up for some classes at your local gym or martial arts place. Any formalized system that has been around a while will be able to show you how to balance out your routine.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looking for one of those smart weight scales that can sync with an app. Suggestions? People seem to shit all over the Fitbit one
Which app are you using? Those scales have support usually for my fitness plan and apple fitness

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking for one of those smart weight scales that can sync with an app. Suggestions? People seem to shit all over the Fitbit one

I have a Withings Cardio+, it is pretty great. The main quality of life is rechargeable battery with an incredibly long life. It syncs with an app on my phone, track stuff, and integrates with Google Fit.

In regards to other apps, if by fitness apps you mean nutrition, I am fond of Cronometer. It works great, has access to the NCCDB and I don't rely on user entered items or scanning any longer. Basically, chicken breast is chicken breast is chicken breast, I use the generic NCCDB for most items and modify my intake, etc. based on the results rather than micro managing brands, etc. This may or may not work well for you depending on how much 'whole' / single ingredient food you eat rather than prepackaged.

If you meant workout tracking, I utilize a set of Google Sheets I have evolved over the past 10 years as a pet project for things like weight, activity, workouts, sets, and projections. It isn't for everyone as it is probably more involved than most care to be. It is a hobby for me and developing the spreadsheet with formula from online and watching it provide similar results to paid sources makes me happy.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Got the withings body +, love it.

How do you guys measure BMI? This scale does it but I’m skeptical. What’s the most accurate way you’ve found?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Most things give you a very crude measure. To get an accurate BMI measure you need a dexa scan. The other option is not to be a fag and to realize that what matters is the change in BMI and not it’s value.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
To get an accurate BMI measure you need a dexa scan.

To get BMI you only need to measure your height (m) and mass (kg) and calculate mass/height^2. No exotic scans required. It's dead simple, which is also why on an individual basis it's a not an especially useful measure of health. (I'm 5'10'' and when I'm ~175 I have visible abs and yet my BMI classification is "overweight".)

I assume you're thinking of body fat %, which requires knowing something about your density.

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
To get BMI you only need to measure your height (m) and mass (kg) and calculate mass/height^2. No exotic scans required. It's dead simple, which is also why on an individual basis it's a not an especially useful measure of health. (I'm 5'10'' and when I'm ~175 I have visible abs and yet my BMI classification is "overweight".)

I assume you're thinking of body fat %, which requires knowing something about your density.
Yeah you are right but he is asking for accurate measurements and isnt happy with what his scale is telling him so….

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Pre JYM- Great taste, great ingredients and at the proper doses.
Hah I’ve been using that but wanted something with lower caffeine content so been using c4. May cut out coffee and go back to pre Jym.

thanks

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you are right but he is asking for accurate measurements and isnt happy with what his scale is telling him so….
unless you are looking to minmax ike Ossoi, you dont need custom measurements.

Yes some people have bigger bone density, yes some have wider back/longer legs, but everyone with a BMI of 31 is obese, no matter their bone structure.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Got the withings body +, love it.

How do you guys measure BMI? This scale does it but I’m skeptical. What’s the most accurate way you’ve found?

I track via a couple of methods depending on timeframe.
In terms of accuracy, DEXA is about the best you can get. However, it does depend on where you are coming from. Case in point for myself, DEXA reads loose skin as lean mass, this causes DEXA to report me BF% that is misleading visually and vs. other methods.

Last month I hit all of them on the same day.
  • Scale: ~10%
  • Calipers / Formula: ~15%
  • DEXA: ~7%
If ~5-10lbs. of loose skin was counted as fat instead of muscle it would be closer to the scale at ~10 - 12%.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, I have been doing strictish calorie control for the past 3 months, and it has been working wonders. Down 17 pounds since the beginning of June. I just keep a goal of 2000 calories daily and watch portions. I was doing some workouts at the beginning, but that tapered off, but the pounds continue to go away either way.

Useful things I have learned:
Vegetables can be microwaved pretty easily, and taste good with a little pepper and salt. High volume, low calories.
Konjac noodles are amazing. Wash them out, mix in some sauce and meat, and microwave. 10 calories for 2 servings worth. 0 carbs. 0 sugar.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, I have been doing strictish calorie control for the past 3 months, and it has been working wonders. Down 17 pounds since the beginning of June. I just keep a goal of 2000 calories daily and watch portions. I was doing some workouts at the beginning, but that tapered off, but the pounds continue to go away either way.

Useful things I have learned:
Vegetables can be microwaved pretty easily, and taste good with a little pepper and salt. High volume, low calories.
Konjac noodles are amazing. Wash them out, mix in some sauce and meat, and microwave. 10 calories for 2 servings worth. 0 carbs. 0 sugar.

What was your start weight and what do you use to count your calories? And why 2000 calories?

I need to lose 14 pounds. I'm 5'9" and weigh 189, so I need to get down to 175.

Losing weight has been on my mind for the past two months and I've tried implementing different things, but nothing's going to work for me until I start being intentional about it and making a plan. So, I'm starting to work out a plan.

Weight has never been an issue before, I played football in high school and college, and maintained my physique until a couple of years ago (I'm in my mid 30's). Until COVID hit I was pretty ripped and had been part of a boxing gym for close two two years. So, the whole getting fat thing has definitely caught me off guard.