Weight Loss Thread

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Currently 320.3, thinking about getting some free weights to supplement my walking. Any recommendations for free weight routines to a newbie?
If you've just got a basic dumbbell set you can go for quite a while with them, an adjustable bench or chair can also help hit specific angles.

Pick One from each category (can switch between them within category to mix things up)

-Seated or Standing Overhead Dumbbell Press (Can also do Incline if you have a bench or chair you can lean 30-45 degrees back in)
-Curls (There's about a million variations, I like Hammer Curls)
-Tricep Extensions (Usually done with a barbell or EZBar, but two dumbbells work as well, may take a while to get your arms steady)
-Bent Over Rows (At Home these will usually be with one arm at a time, with the opposite knee on a chair or bench to support body weight, what's important is the arm pulling the weight up with the elbow going up)
-Dumbbell Bench Press (At Home this'll generally involve laying on the ground, so your arms won't get full range of motion but it'll also be very safe since you'll have support)
-Lateral Raises
-Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift
-Bodyweight Squats
-Farmers Walks (Start with carrying dumbbells and just walking around the yard/house for as long as you can dead carry the weight, you'll probably move on from the dumbbells to paint cans or something similar)

For these exercises you can start at One "Set" of 6-15, and it's fine to start with the lightest dumbbells you had, since the beginning is just getting used to the motions and building those neural pathways. If you hit 15 reps of the exercise reliably on the first set of it each day of the week, it's time to move up to the next dumbbell for next week. If you make it through a week of doing the one set three or four days and don't feel fatigued, increase it to two sets and try that. Keep increasing sets until you feel fatigued on your off days, then dial back; this usually happens around 3-5 sets. I'd start out doing the exercises 2-3 times per week, then increase as you get stronger, the arm muscles recover pretty quickly since they're small, so they can be worked out pretty much as much as you feel like. Since you've been a big guy, your legs are probably already decently strong. You can also break these up into seperate days for convenience as the set numbers get higher/more time consuming.

Push Ups/Pull Ups/Sit Ups are also great, but from my own experience as a Large Lad, significantly harder mechanically than free weights thanks to the gut. Jumping rope makes you feel like an idiot and other people fear an earthquake, but is pretty solid cardio you can do regardless of weather and cheaply.

The repetition range is also flexible, and for dumbbell exercises can go as high as 30 if you're trying to milk out every bit of usefulness from the purchase.

Other fellow fat guy tip, pay attention to your feet and where you're putting your weight when you position yourself, a lot of larger guys curve their feet and put their weight on the outside edges, you want to try to make sure your feet are planted more firmly with the bodyweight pushing down on the heel and foot pad.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

Cut out sugar and most carbs. Started doing CrossFit plus the regular cardio from my job. Went from 347 to 317 since the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Im definitely fat, but I don’t look as big as the scale says. Still retain a decent amount of my muscle from when I was younger. Gotta lose it all so I look good in photos with my kid when he graduates.

it’s been a long time since my kid has seen me skinny-

E42D2405-B391-49C9-95B8-D789BB4B3B29.jpeg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Another great discussion from Peter Attia covering just about everything important; nutrition, exercise, longevity, supplements, etc.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Another great discussion from Peter Attia covering just about everything important; nutrition, exercise, longevity, supplements, etc.
Layne Norton is pretty much the smartest guy out there right.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No secrets or shortcuts. Burn more calories than you consume and cut back/out processed foods, refined sugars, and too many carbs (you still need good carbs as energy). Eat more protein (again, healthy stuff, not TV dinners or fast food) and don't shy away from natural fats (quality butter, yogurt, cheese, etc.).

It WILL take time and it WILL be hard. But, its all worth it.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No secrets or shortcuts. Burn more calories than you consume and cut back/out processed foods, refined sugars, and too many carbs (you still need good carbs as energy). Eat more protein (again, healthy stuff, not TV dinners or fast food) and don't shy away from natural fats (quality butter, yogurt, cheese, etc.).

It WILL take time and it WILL be hard. But, its all worth it.
Just to add for some context, it does actually get harder as you get older. We just don't have the same metabolism or move as much as we age.

• 1Picard

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just to add for some context, it does actually get harder as you get older. We just don't have the same metabolism or move as much as we age.
If you are just getting back into it you should start with some stretching and light cardio. Technically this is true at any age, but old people are, well, old. After a while you will regain a lot , if not all, of the general flexibility you had when you were younger and can get into it with less warm up.

• 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you are just getting back into it you should start with some stretching and light cardio. Technically this is true at any age, but old people are, well, old. After a while you will regain a lot , if not all, of the general flexibility you had when you were younger and can get into it with less warm up.
General rule of thumb, as you get older everything you do takes longer. This includes things like stretch and getting limber.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
As you get older you need to exercise more and to eat more protein as both protein synthesis and muscle adaptation rates go down with age.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone ever try a gaming setup while working out? I have an idea for a laptop setup so I can grind some xp while on treadmill or exercise bike but wanna see what ideas others have had. A stair climber setup would be solid but not sure how safe that would be

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone ever try a gaming setup while working out? I have an idea for a laptop setup so I can grind some xp while on treadmill or exercise bike but wanna see what ideas others have had. A stair climber setup would be solid but not sure how safe that would be
IMO if you're able to game you're not working out hard enough.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 3 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
IMO if you're able to game you're not working out hard enough.
Throw on a 30lb weight vest.

Really though, walking and gaming is better than sitting and gaming but of course not a substitute for moving something heavy or cardio with a little more intensity.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Exercising while distracted is a great way to fuck yourself up. Buy a wii or something else that has exercise related games and accessories or just focus on getting your exercise done properly. If you just want to burn a few calories than get some hand squeezie things or take 10-15 minute breaks to walk or stretch throughout your shift. Nervous fidgeting will also help.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Standing desk is about the only thing I can see being compatible with gaming over the long term. Used to raid in EQ with someone that did entire raids standing up.

Personally, I just use a stationary bike and watch videos for 30-45 minutes. That is usually enough for me to get the weight back down a few pounds. Diet is the most important but I have found it to be much easier to control my eating if I'm exercising regularly.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Exercising while distracted is a great way to fuck yourself up. Buy a wii or something else that has exercise related games and accessories or just focus on getting your exercise done properly. If you just want to burn a few calories than get some hand squeezie things or take 10-15 minute breaks to walk or stretch throughout your shift. Nervous fidgeting will also help.

Second this. Friend got a META VR headset and plays shit for an hour or two after work. Lost 20 pounds so far sweating his ass off doing JEDI shit or killing zombies.