Weight Loss Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/ea...jcn.112.050997

conclusion_sl said:
We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB consumption that we did not control for are responsible for the association with diabetes, and randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between ASB consumption and T2D.
How the fuck do you run a study trying to link artificial sweeteners to type 2 diabetes and NOT control the other causes?

That's the only piece of data, btw.

I'm not sure I buy the insulin thing. It's possible, but then wouldn't I be in trouble just smelling sweet things? I'm pretty sure your body releases insulin in response to DIGESTING sugar and carbohydrates, not tasting them. You can't digest artificial sweeteners so...no insulin?

Cravings thing...sure. But if you're a weak-willed fuck who can't stop yourself because a diet soda makes you eat a slice of cake, not really the aspartame's fault.

I'm neutral on caffeine. I consume one diet soda a day, if I was really worried about caffeine intake from diet soda, there are SO many other things I could cut out.

The cancer thing is pure bullshit. Aspartame has been around for how long? If it was really causing cancer, you'd know that by now.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Well there's a lot of debate surrounding Aspartame with studies being performed and published on both sides of the argument.

My own personal opinion is that the less artificial chemicals in your body, the better it is.

I've stopped drinking regular soft drinks many years ago and moved to only stopped drinking the diet versions a few months ago. The video is accurate in that your body and taste buds readjust when you stop consuming artificial sweeteners. I used to be able to drink 3-4 diet cokes in a day no problem but now, I find it difficult to even finish a quarter can since it tastes too sweet and artificial. I pretty much only drink water or fresh fruit smoothies nowadays

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Can you link more of those studies? The ones I find against aspartame are usually disproved or poorly controlled.

Less artificial chemicals sounds like a good idea at first glance, but I think it's a poor substitute for actually using your brain. The way we're conversing now is completely artificial. Words aren't natural. Electricity(harnessed in this manner) isn't natural. Staring at monitors isn't natural(and definitely bad for you, thanks programming job). Those three things I just listed are all artificial and contain varying degrees of danger to your mind and body. Don't throw stuff away just because it isn't natural. Be weary of them, sure.

I've heard this sweetness deadening thing before, but never actually experienced. Just today for lunch I was eating some canteloupe while drinking a diet dr. pepper. The canteloupe tasted as sweet and delicious as I've always remembered. If anything, wouldn't deadening your taste to sweet be a good thing for people that want to lose weight? I know if my cake was bland, I wouldn't waste any calories on it. More potato chips!

Worrying about or blaming sugar or artificial sweeteners is retarded. People are fat and get fat from overeating and not exercising. It's just an excuse for fat people.

Cutting out the aspartame in your diet soda isn't the missing link to having a six pack. Cutting out pizza and soda and six loaves of bread and all the other garbage and actually exercising is the key.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Like i said Deathwing, there's no real definitive study. It goes back and forth, I just say fuck it. The people getting morbidly obese off diet soda are doing so because they're drinking less calories and eating more i'd imagine.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Just a quick google found this page:

INDEPENDENT PEER REVIEWED ASPARTAME RESEARCH

Lots of links in there to studies done on Aspertame. Not sure on how well they are conducted and I certainly haven't read through all of them. As I said, they have been studies done by both sides arguing about the safely of this sweetener.

I keep an open mind about it and although I personally prefer not to consume any unnecessary chemicals like Aspertame into my body, I am open to believe that it is safe in moderation as with many things.

The sweetness thing happened gradually for me. It like my body seems more easily satisfied from the sugar rush in eating natural sugars like fruit than consuming really sweet stuff like candy bars and soft drinks. The canteloupe example that you gave, the Dr. Pepper that you drank is probably many more times sweeter than canteloupe due to the artificial sweetener it had in it. The canteloupe is sweet by itself but if you are not drinking diet sodas anymore, your body would probably readjust to tell your brain that the canteloupe is all you need to satisfy your sweet craving and the diet Dr. Pepper is not needed.

At the end of the day, what I try to follow is:

Try to consume as much natural foods as possible and less processed stuff

If you eat and drink well then that is already the biggest step towards a overall healthier lifestyle achieved. The exercise comes after since you can never out train a bad diet.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Got sick 3 days ago. Didn't eat anything except a little water and tea for 2 days straight, even today I only had just a little bit of chicken and it was all I could stomach. I can definitely recommend food poisoning as a good method of losing weight.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Got sick 3 days ago. Didn't eat anything except a little water and tea for 2 days straight, even today I only had just a little bit of chicken and it was all I could stomach. I can definitely recommend food poisoning as a good method of losing weight.
Food poisoning was quite the experience. It taught me I could vomit and shit at the same time without getting thing on me... after practice. I think I lived on the bathroom floor for 8 hours.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
sorry fanboys, you'll have to weight 24 hours for my next appearance as my weekly weigh in is due tomorrow.

Loki_sl

shitlord
the TL;DR, diet soda is worse for you than regular soda. Maybe. Probably.
Kind of interesting you should say that, because the two intervention studies included in this review show that they aren't. The observational studies are anything but consistent, much less causative, and the bench research seems to be virtually worthless. For something as important as obesity in the first-world, I'd think there would be more research in this area.

Personally, I've more or less taken sweetened drinks, artificially or nutritive, out of my diet. I use Splenda in lieu of sugar in pretty much any recipe that calls for a sweetener though. Negligibly absorbed from the GI tract, and the stuff I use has a little bit of added fiber to speed things along in there. Seems like a reasonable alternative to me.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Purdue just released this today:

http://download.cell.com/images/edim...sm/tem_888.pdf

the TL;DR, diet soda is worse for you than regular soda. Maybe. Probably.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...ood/?hpt=he_c2
Ok, I stand corrected. I guess tasting does release insulin. Is that the only way to release insulin? How much insulin compared to when it gets to your stomach and your body realizes what it really is?

My guess is that diet soda with a meal is fine since the food should have enough sugars in them for the insulin. Maybe drinking diet sodas by themselves is not a good idea.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Kind of interesting you should say that, because the two intervention studies included in this review show that they aren't. The observational studies are anything but consistent, much less causative, and the bench research seems to be virtually worthless. For something as important as obesity in the first-world, I'd think there would be more research in this area.

Personally, I've more or less taken sweetened drinks, artificially or nutritive, out of my diet. I use Splenda in lieu of sugar in pretty much any recipe that calls for a sweetener though. Negligibly absorbed from the GI tract, and the stuff I use has a little bit of added fiber to speed things along in there. Seems like a reasonable alternative to me.
I based that statement on what the author of the study said in the article.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ok, I stand corrected. I guess tasting does release insulin. Is that the only way to release insulin? How much insulin compared to when it gets to your stomach and your body realizes what it really is?

My guess is that diet soda with a meal is fine since the food should have enough sugars in them for the insulin. Maybe drinking diet sodas by themselves is not a good idea.
I used to drink a TON of diet soda. It makes you feel bad drinking it, it tastes weird, there just isn't much positive about it. I hate to sound like some kind of new age hippy, but really it is probably just not a good idea to ingest this stuff at all. We don't fully understand how these chemicals impact our body, obviously, and there is all kinds of questions. It's just a bad idea.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess I have to cut out diet soda too, fuck it all. fuck this shit. fucking ass fucking shit.

I hope I can still drink no-carb/no-sugar monsters. Those things don't have artificial sweeteners I think because they taste like absolute shit.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I got sum bad nuws 4 u noodle bro.

They all have sucralose and other stuff
frown.png

Sorry sir.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
NOT GIVING UP MY DIET MT DEW, COKE ZERO, DR PEPPER 10 AND ROCKSTAR/MONSTER 0CARB 0SUGAR.

YOLO

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I used to drink a TON of diet soda. It makes you feel bad drinking it, it tastes weird, there just isn't much positive about it. I hate to sound like some kind of new age hippy, but really it is probably just not a good idea to ingest this stuff at all. We don't fully understand how these chemicals impact our body, obviously, and there is all kinds of questions. It's just a bad idea.
I wouldn't say it makes me feel bad. But I only drink 1 a day. Ok, 2 a day on the weekends, but one has some delicious rum in it. I find drinking just plain water so boring
frown.png