Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also if you are going to lift, work on flexibility. Nothing destroys leg gains like short hip flexors or tight hamstrings.
I'm crazy flexible, but it comes from sitting cross-legged my whole life which has also fucked up my hips, so I'm sure finding a workable routine to begin with will be challenging.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Keep flexibility in mind. When people speak of learning and having correct form, flexibility plays a role in that. And correct form is key as everyone here points out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I 100% support the walking focus if you're quite fat. When I started trying not to die of a heart attack I was at 430lbs. A lot of good exercises don't really work at that weight. Kinda hard to do push ups when your gut makes you a teeter totter. I started intermittent fasting and slowly increasing my walking schedule until I was doing six miles a day and that shed pounds at a decent clip without killing me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
foh crop.jpg

176lbs 1st June to 164lbs today. Still eating 150g carbs a day lolz

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
After doing low carb/keto ive decided it works for me for the following reason: staying away from carbs/sugar tamps down my cravings and I have a real sugar addiction where if I have a little I lose control and will do retarded shit like eat 3 or 4 bowls of cereal in a row.

UNFORTUNATELY, the passed few months ive been yoyoing between days of eating well and then a day or two of eating shit. When you want that crunch of oreos and a glass of milk, it gets real.

Oh, I also love frosted mini wheats :(

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
After doing low carb/keto ive decided it works for me for the following reason: staying away from carbs/sugar tamps down my cravings and I have a real sugar addiction where if I have a little I lose control and will do retarded shit like eat 3 or 4 bowls of cereal in a row.

That is a legitimate reason to avoid carbs. All my carbohydrate comes from sweet potato, rice and 25g of carb powder during a workout. Occasionally might have a can of Monster Energy with 50g of carbs, but I won't touch sugar based "treats" whilst I'm cutting.

Although sweet potato/rice won't trigger cravings

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
That is a legitimate reason to avoid carbs. All my carbohydrate comes from sweet potato, rice and 25g of carb powder during a workout. Occasionally might have a can of Monster Energy with 50g of carbs, but I won't touch sugar based "treats" whilst I'm cutting.

Although sweet potato/rice won't trigger cravings

Yeah, I remember in the past for a good long while I did the "no sugar, no grain" program that someone told me about. It was simple to follow and seemed very healthy. It was not ketogenic though. It allowed anything except things with added sugar in it and true grain products (cereal, bread, pasta). The only thing I really missed while on it was old-fashioned oatmeal.

Since I do have a true sugar addiction, I "HOPE" one day, after dropping down to my desired weight, to go back to no-sugar/no-grain as a long term sustainable thing. Of course while I type this vision of crunchy cookies and milk pop in my head. Maybe because I went to the drive in last night for a double feature and had pop corn, peanut M&Ms and then a couple bowels of cereal when I got home because I told myself "well you already went all out, finish that box of cereal you keep looking at in the cubby and be done with it so you can get back on tract in the AM"

Looking forward to now trying to stay on track with my ketochow nutrition shakes because I got 20 lbs to drop before I go back to work in the Fall.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I need some information resources targeted at an excessively out-of-shape fat man joining a gym for the first time. Specifically how to ease into things to avoid injury and frustration, with a focus just on weight-loss, light cardio, and just very basic weight lifting. The gym will have no staff so I'll be on my own with no guidance, and with no experience.

Links for anything along these lines would be appreciated.

Kinda late response but having learned most of this stuff by myself, my main advice would be to start off easy. Before I went to the gym, I'd pick a few exercises I wanted to learn that day and watched videos on those (I found athlean-x on youtube great for this, as well as exrx.net). Each time I went I did 2-3 new exercises, and repeated the ones I learned before. Used the mirror and exrx on my phone for proper form.

Don't even worry about weight numbers at the start, just focus on doing the movement correctly. Eventually you want to get an actual program but for the first weeks, just do whatever strikes your fancy so you have something new to look forward to and learn to do a variety of exercises properly.

Assisted pullup machine is great for beginners too. It's hard to mess up, good way to get some initial gains in grip strength too. As a beginner you can make real gains working up to being able to crank out 10 pullups unassisted

My personal favorite for warmup/cardio is the rowing machine. It's low impact, you hit just about every muscle and it you can make it as intense or easy as you like. Definitely watch a vid on proper tecnnique because many people do it horribly wrong.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Similar issue here. If I have a cookie, I'm basically going to eat every cookie in the building within the next 2 hours. Which is significantly worse than my eating behavior with sweets back when I was 50% fatter and hadn't cut most sugary stuff out of my life/grocery-shopping.

So of course when Mom died well-meaning church ladies brought plates of chocolate cookies over to the house. :D

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Similar issue here. If I have a cookie, I'm basically going to eat every cookie in the building within the next 2 hours. Which is significantly worse than my eating behavior with sweets back when I was 50% fatter and hadn't cut most sugary stuff out of my life/grocery-shopping.

So of course when Mom died well-meaning church ladies brought plates of chocolate cookies over to the house. :D
I'm at the point where I toss anything I'm given straight in the food bin because I know I'll gorge on it. It's much easier to make the choice to dump it before eating any of it than it is to try to only est a bit. My family refuses to listen to my protests about giving me food (they mean well)

I've also started a similar approach to buying groceries: can't eat what you don't buy.

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
approach to buying groceries: can't eat what you don't buy.

The is the only thing that works for me. If there are cookies, I will eat them. If there are no cookies, I don't eat them. Period. I freely admit that it is exclusively a failure of willpower, but it's something I have to work around.

Unfortunately, my wife is the complete opposite. She thinks it's crucially important to stock some of every possible treat, so that when she has a craving she can eat a tiny nibble, satisfy the craving, and move on. If she can't have a sliver of chocolate on demand, she gets mega-hangry. She also gets angry when anyone else eats "her" snacks. She does most of the grocery shopping, so her strategy prevails.

Needless to say, when we're dieting we regularly end up frustrated with each other.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The is the only thing that works for me. If there are cookies, I will eat them. If there are no cookies, I don't eat them. Period. I freely admit that it is exclusively a failure of willpower, but it's something I have to work around.

Unfortunately, my wife is the complete opposite. She thinks it's crucially important to stock some of every possible treat, so that when she has a craving she can eat a tiny nibble, satisfy the craving, and move on. If she can't have a sliver of chocolate on demand, she gets mega-hangry. She also gets angry when anyone else eats "her" snacks. She does most of the grocery shopping, so her strategy prevails.

Needless to say, when we're dieting we regularly end up frustrated with each other.

That's exactly how my wife and I are.

I got tired of her not listening when I said don't buy shit.

Now whenever I find it I just throw it in the trash immediately.

She has started keeping her snacks at work. Lol

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the carnivore diet?
i started carnivore right after superbowl for 2months, i don't know if i stopped b/c i was sic of not eating regular food or i was constantly worried about not getting enough protein (started seeing restrictions cuz of covid)

i believe Oblio Oblio saw way more results than i did,

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
i started carnivore right after superbowl for 2months, i don't know if i stopped b/c i was sic of not eating regular food or i was constantly worried about not getting enough protein

How would you be deficient in protein by eating a meat only diet????

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My brother in law has been doing carnivore for over a year now. He also does intermittent fasting which means he basically slams meat into his face at 5pm every day. He also does other weird stuff like cold training and works at his desk in a portable sauna and puts salt in coffee.

He looks fit as fuck and plays basketball several times a week. But his heart could be on the verge of exploding.