Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
So I’m on day 2 of a month long keto run
Days almost over and I feel like dogshit

that is normal when going through ketosis right? Once your body starts utilizing fats for energy, you start to feel better?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I’m on day 2 of a month long keto run
Days almost over and I feel like dogshit

that is normal when going through ketosis right? Once your body starts utilizing fats for energy, you start to feel better?

Go drink beef or chicken broth with salt in it.

You're low on electrolytes and need to get them back into your system.

Keto diets are diuretic and so you are losing more water (and thus electrolytes) than you are used to. You are also likely drinking more water and pissing more causing a further decrease in water and electrolytes than normal. Just start drinking broth with salt. Unless you have pre-existing blood pressure conditions than you should be adding salt to your diet to counteract the loss of it during keto. Bonus points if you make your own broth from bones which will have additional fat to add to your diet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Go drink beef or chicken broth with salt in it.

You're low on electrolytes and need to get them back into your system.

Keto diets are diuretic and so you are losing more water (and thus electrolytes) than you are used to. You are also likely drinking more water and pissing more causing a further decrease in water and electrolytes than normal. Just start drinking broth with salt. Unless you have pre-existing blood pressure conditions than you should be adding salt to your diet to counteract the loss of it during keto. Bonus points if you make your own broth from bones which will have additional fat to add to your diet.

Asfar as I know, I don’t have any blood pressure probs

I use salt in my food pretty generously, like on my beef and eggs not to mention the sodium content of bacon

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, I walked more in July than I probably did the whole of the previous year and a half. Nothing accomplished on the weight loss front but it's doing wonders for catching up on music. I figure that my legs and general cardio should be in a good enough situation to start with the gym when fall hits.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, I walked more in July than I probably did the whole of the previous year and a half. Nothing accomplished on the weight loss front but it's doing wonders for catching up on music. I figure that my legs and general cardio should be in a good enough situation to start with the gym when fall hits.

Having lost weight several times over the years, the only thing that ever gave me real results was diet combined with regular cardio. Any time I tried to do it with just diet I end up overdoing the "occasional indulgences" and weight loss just stalls after a month or two. Regular cardio is the only thing that keeps me out of the snack drawer consistently, I just don't get the cravings nearly as often.

Walking is good but you eventually need to move up to something more challenging so you get your heart rate up. Running, rowing, elliptical, stationary bike, whatever as long as it makes you sweat. Don't need to gasping for air but you should be wiping the sweat off your forehead regularly by the end.

My initial and biggest weight loss I did with just 30-45 minutes every other day on a $250 stationary bike in front of my PC watching videos. Didn't give me anywhere near the fitness that doing Couch-to-5k a few years later did, but it did keep me on track and the weight came off (190 to 150 lbs at 5'10)

SeanDoe1z1

260 -> 230 over 3 months. I basically kept the same life style out of the military (functional alcoholic) and let it ride over 5 years. I never had a "fat" body until about 240 and up and I could start seeing it in my face and cheeks. I cut that shit out and replaced it with cardio. Even with terrible diet control I'll push 5 miles a day on a cheap treadmill and I'm pacing about 10lbs a month.

I don't pretend to know what I'm doing other than what feels good to me. I actually like running, its more a chore for me to go to a gym than anything else and I use to be a pretty regular gym-goer. I even like the one I go to a lot, just not so much my thing anymore. I am thinking of selling a vehicle and converting my garage into a home gym with a squat rack / bench / free weights. Its a smaller garage and I hate trying to cram a vehicle in there anyway and I don't mind using my driveway. Its a new house so its pretty comfortable too...

I just started doing a meal delivery service as a supplement. $120 / 12 meals. Honestly its worth it. 10 $ per meal to ignore all the bullshit about meal prepping is extremely advantageous to me. I already got to plan meals around kids/wife so its a hell of a lot easier to be able to nuke a healthy meal in 3 minutes when you're faced with a decision to grab some bullshit filler as opposed to a healthy protein.

honestly just without alcohol I could probably do nothing with similar results, but this brings in definition as well at least and lessens the chance of loose skin. I honestly feel better than I did in my mid 20s when I was technically in way better shape.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thinking of getting a Fitbit. Anyone have experience with the different models? Is it worth stepping up to the Versa over one of the more standard bands?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I had one for awhile (someone gave it to me) but did not find it all that helpful and ended up giving it back.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thinking of getting a Fitbit. Anyone have experience with the different models? Is it worth stepping up to the Versa over one of the more standard bands?

I've got a Versa 2, upgraded from the original in January. I haven't used used any other fitbits. It was effectively free from my insurance.

Overall I don't really have any complaints, it does what it says it does reasonably well. HR has been faily accurate, within 5 BPM whenever I see my Dr. The SPO2 sensor is only used for sleep tracking, giving you a basic graph of your O2 variation (though it has no units on it, just a line to mark high vs low variation). You'll have to sign up for their premium service if you want any data beyond that and sleep cycles.

Step tracking seems mediocre at best and flights of stairs is worse. I've had it register plenty of step while sitting at my deck typing and no flights after going up and down stairs multiple times.

If I was actually paying for it, I would definitely not pay full price, as they go on sale several times a year. Even then I doubt I'd buy one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I have a Versa and like it. But I didn't get it for excercise reasons. For me my Dr was worried about my heart rate being low, so wanted to monitor my sleeping heart rate and all that. It's been great for that and telling me if/when I get enough steps in. I've liked it.

I handed down my old HR to Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus who wears it. She, unlike me, works out a ton and could tell you more on that front. Also since this is the weight loss thread I'll leave it up to her if she wants to give the run down of her Keto Adventures!

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So, I'm trying out keto and the diet's going okay so far, down 12 pounds in the first week, probably like 99.9% water weight. I am kind of concerned by something I'm seeing though. Instead of the weight coming off evenly, it looks like somebody took an ice-cream scoop to the bottom left/right sides of my gut. I've got skeletor-cheeks on an otherwise round mass of flesh. Gonna keep going with it, hope it evens out a bit.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So, I'm trying out keto and the diet's going okay so far, down 12 pounds in the first week, probably like 99.9% water weight. I am kind of concerned by something I'm seeing though. Instead of the weight coming off evenly, it looks like somebody took an ice-cream scoop to the bottom left/right sides of my gut. I've got skeletor-cheeks on an otherwise round mass of flesh. Gonna keep going with it, hope it evens out a bit.

There is no such thing as targeted fat loss. Your body will shed fat when and where your genetics determine, just like it puts on fat.

SeanDoe1z1

I did my annual PHA for insurance and my previous last one was definitely at my lowest point in my health to date. ~275lbs, super high LDL, bunch of liver tests off the chart, and a sitting BP of 150-160 over 110 or so. Pretty bad shit. Was actually looking forward to the results on this year.

disclaimer I pretend to know zero anything medical. This last BP test was a 114 / 62 sitting. I knew I was a walking stroke before, I relied on genetics and youth to push me through all my bad decisions before I woke up.

biggest liver change:

Desk5.JPG

overall heart picture:
Desk6.JPG

I don't want a "healthy" BMI because it turns me into skeletor. I am looking at least another 25-30 lbs to be comfortable at 185. Honestly I just want a waste of 32-35 and call it good with some new clothes. Tagging some stretch marks along with me but luckily no loose skin. Its all moot because I enjoy exercising as a mental wipe and it ain't going away anytime soon.

SeanDoe1z1

I'm 5'11. I've been 180-190 about age 17 and on. I'm probably 215 soaking wet right now waste 38-39.

I got down to 170 in boot camp and I was just an anemic twig and it definitely felt that way too. Was a bad case of H1N1 that pushed me down the extra 10lbs I could never put back on while stuck in their program. I never tried to go much lower than 180 but who knows? I am talking about a 10 year difference here.

I have always been a genetic freak (probably carryover from soccer for 12 years) and I carry a lot of weight in my thighs / calves. Got bad enough my last true workout partner had enough of a complex I seriously think he was considering calf implants and it is hard not to rip on that shit... To be fair I injured my shoulder pretty severely in my 20s and I am a major pussy about it now. I don't even like doing push ups / pull ups / anything weight related even though I know that is the wrong course of action coming from someone that did pretty intensive physical therapy for 8 months+

Fuck bands and all the good they bring. Nothing encapsulates my anger more than a band breaking or me failing to properly set that up and it flings back across the room at you.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I'm the exact same as you describe. 5'10 though. Currently 206 and want to get around 185, because I know less than that i'll look funny. Actually 190 i'd be fine with too, just another 15lbs. My weight distributes evenly all over my body.

Also the older you get, you can't lose too much weight because you will look even older than you are. Middle age and onward if you try to get "normal" BMI, your face looks shriveled up.

just without alcohol

Been about a year+ for me. On a number of levels it is magical. Functional alcoholism becomes kinda functional, then.... not very functional at all. IME. Like Joe Walsh once said, I only got drunk once i my life, but it was for 30 years.

Yeah. I dropped 20 pounds just from that alone. Plus, removing a toxin? How is that not a major win? Best thing I ever did was stop smoking 3 packs a day when I hit 30, second best has been this. It is like instant health power up.

Keto is what has always worked for me. I never felt bad. But the diet agrees with me. My brother's cholesterol went through the roof when he tried it to lose his "post Marine" bloat that started taking over after he had been out a decade.

If it works for you, it works great.

But you can't cheat. You break the chain if you cheat. And have to start over. Which I doubt is good for your body.

SeanDoe1z1

Yes, I cheat pretty regularly and just overpower it with the sheer amount of calories I burn. I can see how if I stop I will realize I am not 20 anymore...I definitely need to watch what I eat a LOT more, luckily I am only over the top glutton very rarely. Not a big sweets guy but Hershy bar + peanut butter topping been my go to endorphin smack

But it does feel like some cheat code, I think 3-5 miles a day going on 6 months I just started feeling some low level knee pain. Resting a bit better and not going so hard on outside projects. Hasn't helped I am ignoring a large portion of my boring desk job and putting on a lot of data center work (up and down ladders all day long)

As that belly gets harder to drop I am putting up more weight there, which is generally what I wanted to avoid. Minor complaints. I am trying to be outside a lot more with my son kicking a ball but I'm not pushing him too hard and ruining it entirely.

• 1Like