Weight Loss Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
tumblr_m82afsiYqR1rrhe80o1_500.gif

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So I decided to channel my inner Himeo and fatty it up the other day. While I didn't go so far as drinking containers of garlic butter, I tried some buffalo chicken pizza rolls.

DELICIOUS!

They're basically little dough pouches filled with Frank's Red Hot and tiny bits of meat of questionable origin.

I'm not sure if they're new, but it was the first time I'd seen them and I was not disappointed. A++ would recommend to anyone trying to fatten up.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of meat of questionable origin...how did I ever eat things like chicken mcnuggets as a kid? My wife bought these breaded chicken tenders from BJs because they were on sale. I was dubious from the offset because I know how that stuff is made. We couldn't even finish one piece together, it was like chewing a sponge. Ugh.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Speaking of meat of questionable origin...how did I ever eat things like chicken mcnuggets as a kid? My wife bought these breaded chicken tenders from BJs because they were on sale. I was dubious from the offset because I know how that stuff is made. We couldn't even finish one piece together, it was like chewing a sponge. Ugh.
Depends on your age, but at one point McNuggets were actually a solid piece of chicken. Not chicken remnants held together by soy fat to form something resembling a patty/nugget.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah in my lifetime mcnuggets were never a solid piece of chicken. I have eaten some within the past 5 years. They are horrid but they taste good.

This weekend I had a real Rock-style cheat day. I had like 6-7 pieces of friend chicken and somewhere between 12-20 mini chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. BEEFCAKE!

Binkles_sl

shitlord
Yeah in my lifetime mcnuggets were never a solid piece of chicken. !
"The Chicken McNugget is a small piece of processed chicken meat that is fried in batter and flash frozen, then shipped out and sold at McDonald's restaurants."

After some research, I stand corrected. I suppose, in the 80s, the quality of the chicken... meal? seemed superior to whatever amalgam they use now.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I get grilled nuggets for my girls if I want to get them something that is hopefully healthy and we are in a rush or I am lazy. They taste really good, though. I like their grilled chicken.

And they have a superior chicken sandwich/spicy chicken sandwich to Wendy's IN EVERY FUCKING WAY.

I said that shit.

tumblr_lmd6nvez1m1qafrh6.gif

I'm 5' 10'' 185. Every online calculator says that at total couch potato status I need ~2150 calories to maintain weight. For a month I've been on 2000 calories or less per day, and exercising regularly.

Weigh myself today and I've lost 1 pound total to 184. Rustled....

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're eating less than 2000 calories a day and you're working out regularly, leads me to believe your calories are WAY too fucking low and your body is basically going into survival mode.

EAT MORE SHITHEAD. How old are you? How frequently are you working out? If you're in your 20s and working out 3 times a week, you need to be eating near 2200 calories. If you're working out more, you need to up those calories even more. Why do people eat like birds to lose weight?

You could also not be counting calories correctly, or working out like a BITCH. We need more information to help you.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm 5' 10'' 185. Every online calculator says that at total couch potato status I need ~2150 calories to maintain weight. For a month I've been on 2000 calories or less per day, and exercising regularly.

You've discovered the truth about "calories in calories out". It's an estimate at best and doesnt take into account things like metabolism changes or what you're eating.

That said, you might be better off than just the pure weight change suggests. I'd take measurements and see if your body comp hasnt improved while staying roughly the same weight. Do your pants fit looser, look leaner in the mirror, face seem less puffy... those are the things I notice most. If you're just starting to exercise from a long lay off I find I gain or maintain weight while getting better body comp. Gain a bit of muscle while losing fat, a newbie trick that doesnt last long so enjoy it if that's the case for you.

If it turns out you're about the same and spinning your wheels I'd adjust a couple hundred calories up. Also post what you're eating. If it's bad quality food and low on protein and fat that might be a problem.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Let's see, 150 calories deficit for 30 days is 4500 calories, one pound of fat is 3500 calories...given margin of error, that actually sounds correct. Like Itlan said, you're going to need to give us more information.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

You're either:

Eating 2000 calories of the wrong things
or
You suck at accurately measuring your calorie intake.

I am an inch taller than you and 25lbs lighter and have dropped 5lbs in 19 days by making sure I don't eat more than 2300 calories a day. For you to be heavier and eating roughly a similar amount implies you are doing something wrong.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Composition of that 185 pounds matters. If he's 25% body fat and you're 13.3215% body fat, your calorie requirements are very different.

That's why taking pictures and measurements is more important than weighing and estimating body fat. He could be body recomping and put on a half pound of muscle and lost a pound and a half of fat. We don't know.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
5 weeks in and i'm down around 10 pounds which i'm pretty happy with. I haven't went all out on a drastically strict diet but I am eating larger amounts of much healthier food, most of the crap in my diet has been cut out and I'm doing 15-20 min's of exercise most days on a treadmill.

The belly is going down but still a fair way to go
smile.png

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting article:http://eattoperform.com/2013/05/05/e...y-fat-edition/

rrr_img_41750.png

This is targeted at people who do low carb and high intensity work like weight lifting, crossfit, (I guess P90x and Insanity would fall in there too). TLDR, eat starches and carbs like (sweet) potatoes, rice, bananas, oats and lift heavy if you want to get muscle and stay lean.

Excerpt:

Why Low Carb Diets Make you Skinny-Fat

As most people know by now, carbs and sugars stimulate insulin production. Insulin is primarily a transport hormone; it helps get nutrients into cells. This is helpful as far as building muscle goes, but when you?re in a calorie surplus, insulin also helps create fat stores. When there?s no more room for carbohydrate in the muscles or liver, it will be converted to fat.

When you eat low carb, insulin secretion stays at a minimum and cells become hyper-sensitive to its signaling. In the short term, this is actually great as far as fat burning and muscle retention are concerned, but it?s a problem if you want to build muscle. A lot of the protein you?re eating is being used to produce glucose rather than stimulating growth; at best, you?ll retain your muscle mass, but over the long term you?ll start breaking down muscle tissue to produce glucose too. If you?re not eating enough total calories, you will waste muscle and your body fat percentage will increase.

To make matters worse, your muscles will eventually become insensitive to insulin and the fat mobilizing hormone leptin, leaving your cells inflexible and flat-footed. This also has a negative effect on your endocrine system. In general, it?s unnecessary and at worst it can cause all kinds of metabolic dysfunction.

You end up weak, skinny fat, and your metabolism is essentially broken. Certainly, I am not pitching for extreme levels of dietary carbohydrate intake. Rather just enough to support muscle maintenance, repair and a little growth on occasion. Like most things, quality is more important than quantity.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I always like to take my advice from websites that are trying to sell me something. I haven't read it yet, but I can already tell it's probably retarded.

Not to say there probably isn't something good in there, but honestly, I've seen so many websites designed exactly like that.

Edit: Ok, I read it and I was wrong. It's actually not bad. It doesn't really say a whole lot (except you probably aren't eating enough), but the information is mostly good. I have no idea why it looks like they're selling you some bullshit, because the article doesn't try to at all. My only beef with it (besides lack of content) is the whole "you can put on 5 pounds of muscle in a few weeks." Unless they're using the word "few" very liberally, that's biologically impossible. At best, you're looking at 2 months to put on that much muscle. More realistically, 3-5 months.

I've seen a good example recently in a few places. Go to the grocery store and grab 5-10 pounds of lean ground beef. Now imagine adding that to your frame. If you think that that's an easy or small amount, you're out of your fucking mind. 10 pounds of muscle takes an incredible amount of time to pack on, and it will make you look significantly bigger even though it's spread over your entire body.