Weight Loss Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
the carnivore versions have been the best. I can eat as much meat, eggs, and dairy as I can handle and still never gain a pound. I even do fruit when it is in season and regularly eat tomatoes and avocados.
Sounds like the only difference from Paleo is that you're allowed dairy.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah, zero carbs for days on end means you aint pooping and the body will only hold so much poop. Ideally you need carbs, fat and protein each day. The amount and percentage of each is the key.

There is no mechanism in the body that prevents you from producing wasted and sloughing off dead cells from inside your digestive track in the absence of carbs. There is certainly a vast reduction of waste material produced when you don't eat carbs, but the idea that you stop shitting without carbs is baseless.

LiquidDeath

Sounds like the only difference from Paleo is that you're allowed dairy.

I've actually never researched Paleo, but I imagine it is much like the Keto thing in that there are a large number of interpretations and even cottage industries that have popped up to support them.

While I eat fruits and occasionally vegetables, they are a very small portion of my diet. Most days I don't eat them at all and I am far more likely to eat fruit than vegetables.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've actually never researched Paleo, but I imagine it is much like the Keto thing in that there are a large number of interpretations and even cottage industries that have popped up to support them.
Paleo never really caught on. The general idea was to stick to a hunter-gatherer diet as much as possible.

LiquidDeath

He didnt tell you to listen to experts about diets. He told you to learn about human biology and that seems like a necessary idea. Gluconeogenesis is less energy efficient and consumes ATP instead of producing it as well as wastes valuable NADH. Its inefficient and as a result, not healthy. In fact, gluconeogenesis shows how necessary carbs are to our bodies because its a system that has been conserved despite being costly and inefficient. Saying carbs are not essential is pants on head retarded.

How is gluconeogenesis not proof that we evolved eating mostly protein and fat, since its existence means that our bodies evolved expecting to go for extended periods of time without carbs? Wouldn't its existence suggest our successful genetic ancestors would be eating mostly protein and fat, otherwise our bodies would have developed similar mechanisms to create the fats and proteins necessary for survival when there is an abundance of glucose in the body?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
How is gluconeogenesis not proof that we evolved eating mostly protein and fat, since its existence means that our bodies evolved expecting to go for extended periods of time without carbs? Wouldn't its existence suggest our successful genetic ancestors would be eating mostly protein and fat, otherwise our bodies would have developed similar mechanisms to create the fats and proteins necessary for survival when there is an abundance of glucose in the body?
Its a process that produces carbs at an energetic loss yet has been conserved. Only reason that is the case is that carbs are needed badly enough that the body is willing to be inefficient to produce them.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Carbs are a relative recent addition to the human diet in terms of the length of time we’ve been around. The thinking our bodies somehow need carbs is dead wrong. Most humans before “civilization” and advent of farms are mostly meats fruits when they were around and nuts and other such shit. Some carbs? Sure, but not like after we started farming the shit. It’s not like pre civ humans gathered grass seeds and grinding them to make breads.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
No, there is plenty of keto bullshit that will make you fat if you eat it too much, too.

If you eat mostly meat with at least a modest amount of fat and pair that with whole fruit and full fat dairy then you don't have to portion control or calorie count. Some people like eating vegetables on this but I don't and no research has proved it necessary. That is what I consider clean, and that is how I eat the majority of the time. It has allowed me to maintain the same weight post 40 as I was in highschool without ever feeling hungry or deprived. In fact, over time I have reduced my cheat days simply because of how god-awful I feel when I eat pizza or french fries or any other bullshit like that. I also maintained that weight through the pandemic years without doing any exercise, though I've picked up lifting again because of the fantastic, non-weight related health benefits it provides.
That is also my experience. As long as you don't eat too much processed food (including bread), you don't really need to count calories or anything. It's really hard to overeat chicken or vegetables, your stomach will burst before you've reached 1k5 calories. Of course you can force feed and get bigger on clean diet like some bodybuilders would do. Even then, I'm not sure if bodybuilders could get as big as they are now without processed food.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Counting calories is not sustainable and just locks you into a pseudo food prison. everyone is different for sure and some shit works better with some than others and im no food expert or dietician but I can tell you for sure the most sustainable diet I ever lost weight on and kept it off for years was very low carb. Then covid happened and stuck at home I gained some of it back...:D

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Carbs are a relative recent addition to the human diet in terms of the length of time we’ve been around. The thinking our bodies somehow need carbs is dead wrong. Most humans before “civilization” and advent of farms are mostly meats fruits when they were around and nuts and other such shit. Some carbs? Sure, but not like after we started farming the shit. It’s not like pre civ humans gathered grass seeds and grinding them to make breads.

If by "carbs" you mean processed and agricultural starches, yeah, but if you mean it literally as chemical carbohydrates they've been a primary component of diet forever in the form of fruits and vegetables.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If by "carbs" you mean processed and agricultural starches, yeah, but if you mean it literally as chemical carbohydrates they've been a primary component of diet forever in the form of fruits and vegetables.
Even fruits and veg were a rarity. Without farming youre not getting that shit on the regular. Not to mention highly seasonal and hard to keep for extended periods of time.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The systems in our bodies that process carbs predate humans by millions of years.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Even fruits and veg were a rarity. Without farming youre not getting that shit on the regular. Not to mention highly seasonal and hard to keep for extended periods of time.

I think that's backwards.

"The diet of the earliest hominins was probably somewhat similar to the diet of modern chimpanzees: omnivorous, including large quantities of fruit, leaves, flowers, bark, insects and meat (e.g., Andrews & Martin 1991; Milton 1999; Watts 2008). Tooth morphology and dental microwear studies suggest that the diet of some hominins may have included hard food items such as seeds and nuts, and underground storage organs (USOs) such as roots and tubers (Jolly 1970; Peters & O'Brien 1981; Teaford & Ungar 2000; Luca et al. 2010)"

Hunting only started ~500k years ago, which is still fairly recent on an evolutionary timeline.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You all are over complicating shit.

Pick a diet with sufficient protein that you can sustain forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah because we evolved from them. And your point is? Cavemen somehow had fruit gardens and potato farms?
My point is that you are saying some processes are relatively new additions to humans while these processes pre date humans. They cant exactly be new to us if they are older than us.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think that's backwards.

"The diet of the earliest hominins was probably somewhat similar to the diet of modern chimpanzees: omnivorous, including large quantities of fruit, leaves, flowers, bark, insects and meat (e.g., Andrews & Martin 1991; Milton 1999; Watts 2008). Tooth morphology and dental microwear studies suggest that the diet of some hominins may have included hard food items such as seeds and nuts, and underground storage organs (USOs) such as roots and tubers (Jolly 1970; Peters & O'Brien 1981; Teaford & Ungar 2000; Luca et al. 2010)"

YEah and then we moved the fuck out of africa. And then what? And some specuulate that it was consuming large amounts of protein that over time made our brains bigger. I mean even your link says this. First major evolutionary change was meats and fats.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Probably the wrong thread for this but just a review of sorts

I've been lifting, cycling, swimming regularly since I was maybe 16 (almost 40) - have a squat rack, dozen bumper plates, kettlebells of all weights basically, carbon road bike and a pool. I use all frequently. Since COVID (and really since the baby was born 19 months ago) I've been using the squat box more infrequently (partly out of caution with kids running around "dad" all the time, and partly because it was kind of a PITA). Switched over to mostly kettlebell exercises only but felt like I was still missing some things from the rack.

Bought a Tonal back in January and haven't looked back. Sold Rack. Kept all but a few kettlebells and between the bells and the Tonal I've probably never been fitter. Not sure if it's the digital weights themselves, the trainers, the instant feedback loop (with #'s, % increases etc) or what but it's crazy to me how effective that machine is. On "off days" (1-2 days a week) I hit my kettlebells and cycle, but the tonal is more gratifying and simple to use. My wife, who has never been into weight training (she'll do pilates, yoga, etc and is really thin naturally) has also been using it 3-5 times a week with unbelievable success. I know that she'd have similar results lifting normally, but this works just as well

This probably sounds like the peloton nonsense I'd hear from people during the honeymoon phase and perhaps it is, but this is different. If you like lifting and weight training, it's the best I've seen and I've had/tried them all.