Weight Loss Thread

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, I had a required work physical last year (my employer pays for it, gave the option of 2 different doctors, FAA used to employ a doctor on staff at our local facility 1 day a week, but decided not to as a cost saving measure)...He was screening me for testicular cancer and the doctor told me I had a hernia, I said "oh, weird, I haven't noticed any changes, although I did start lifting weights last year"... and he recommended I had and I'm quoting him word for word "immediate surgery to fix it". I ask him how long I had it. He told me it was something I was born with, (at this point I started looking at him crazy).... I asked him what are the odds that I'd ever even ever have something go wrong or why did no other doctor mention it to me before him, including 4 years in the military, literally dozens of physicals in my life. He told me it wasn't very likely that anything would ever go wrong... I then asked him why would he recommend immediate surgery. He told me "for peace of mind". He then told me he wasn't even sure if it would allow him to pass me on my FAA physical, so he made a phone call to our regional flight surgeon (who is known for being a hardass and failing people "just because") and the flight surgeon said it was no problem at all.

Yea, I guess he just assumed I had heath insurance or something maybe? Doctor was shady as fuck though, all sorts of other employees were complaining about him, where he was accessing their medical records with other doctors without asking them first. Like he was looking for reasons to fail people on their FAA employment physical instead of actually working with the employees and making sure they were actually healthy and not likely to drop dead in the next year.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bout of food poisoning, down 6 pounds!

Obviously this is mostly water weight, severely dehydrated.

Shit sucks bros.

calla_sl

shitlord
so about a month in, sw 265, cw 253 this morning. i switched to a keto diet about 2 and a half weeks ago. as for exercise i've been doing crossfit. yes, i read what people posted about it, but a box near my house was having a pretty good deal on groupon (90 for 2 months of unlimited classes) so i bought a voucher. figured it was a pretty cheap way to get a trainer to watch my form on some of the heavier lifts and have someone do the thinking and planning for me.

i'm leaning towards not continuing xfit once my 2 months is up. even though this place is the cheapest xfit box by far, the cost is still prohibitive. i think the two biggest concerns i have after i stop going to xfit would be how to incorporate a similar conditioning program into my workout schedule like the wod, and finding a gym with bumper plates.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's funny because my weight hasn't dropped or changed much at all while on keto, but muscular definition and striations give me all the satisfaction I need in knowing it's working.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
I know its only day 3 but this keto bullshit is easy as hell. Maybe its cause I was pretty low carb before, prob between 100 and 150 a day sometimes lower. I made this last night and that broccoli posted above and it was awesome:

easy_cheesy_chili_chicken.jpg

GEORGE STELLA'S EASY CHEESY CHILI CHICKEN
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cilantro
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
4-5 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup green pepper, julienned
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
1/4 cup Roma tomato, diced (about 1/2 small)
4 ounces colby-jack cheese, shredded

Sometimes I get really light headed. Also I havent seen anything concrete about artificial sweeteners. I guess I just need keto strips. Im paranoid the rum and cokes I had last night fucked me up

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're three days in, you're probably not in keto and you may have fucked yourself up for another 2 days with the rum and cokes.

Go whiskey on ice next time.

And keto isn't bad if you love dairy and fatty cut meats imo. If you don't, you're going to have a bad time. There's also the 10 pounds of bacon diet.

calla_sl

shitlord
that recipe looks pretty good. you could probably get away with using the thighs instead of the breast for more fat. a lot of low carb recipes seem to use xylitol or stevia. not sure how good the artificial sweeteners are for the body, but they wont knock you out of ketosis. if you have room in your diet budget, whiskey, vodka, or tequila are the way to go. but keto is suppose to lower your tolerance and i'd rather be eating some cheese or bacon instead of taking a shot of vodka.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Word to the wise about weight loss and high fat diet : Gallbladder.

Quick weight loss plus a diet high in protein and natural fats are what leads to the development of sludge in the gallbladder which then crystallizes into gallstones which can obstruct the opening from or move into and block the biliary tract. This results in excruciating pain the likes of which you will not have thought previously possible. Kidney stones were a walk in the park in comparison. After gallbladder attack, resulting massive infection, hospitalization, etc. I am now in a 'cooling down' period before having the offending organ removed and on a strict fat free (as in 0g of fat, not low fat, NO FAT) diet.

On the plus side spending 2 weeks with a 101 degree fever and massive doses of antibiotics has resulted in me achieving the desired loss of the winter weight and then some (25 pounds and still dropping)... This is not a good thing.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
In terms of sweeteners, I switched over to Stevia (Truvia) when I started doing Keto. It took a little while to get used to as it was a slightly different type of sweet from Sweet and Low / Splenda. Now that I am used to it, the former sweeteners taste 'chemically'. I have never been kicked out of Ketosis by sweetener, not that I have tried. I do not really drink so I can't comment on that side of the fence.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Word to the wise about weight loss and high fat diet : Gallbladder.

Quick weight loss plus a diet high in protein and natural fats are what leads to the development of sludge in the gallbladder which then crystallizes into gallstones which can obstruct the opening from or move into and block the biliary tract. This results in excruciating pain the likes of which you will not have thought previously possible. Kidney stones were a walk in the park in comparison. After gallbladder attack, resulting massive infection, hospitalization, etc. I am now in a 'cooling down' period before having the offending organ removed and on a strict fat free (as in 0g of fat, not low fat, NO FAT) diet.

On the plus side spending 2 weeks with a 101 degree fever and massive doses of antibiotics has resulted in me achieving the desired loss of the winter weight and then some (25 pounds and still dropping)... This is not a good thing.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153981.php

What causes gallstones?
Experts are not completely sure why some people develop a chemical imbalance in their gallbladder which causes gallstones, while others do not. However, we do know that gallstones are more common among: ?Overweight/obese people, especially women. A study revealed that a bulging midriff almost doubles a woman's chances of developing gallstones and the need for surgery to remove them.

Obese children have a considerably higher risk of developing gallstones, compared to kids of normal weight, researchers from Kaiser Permanents reported in the Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition (August 2012 issue).

?Women who have been pregnant

?People who have recently lost lots of weight.

?Intentionally losing weight and then regaining it may increase men's risk for gallstones later in life.

?Women taking oral contraceptives.

?Women undergoing high-dose estrogen therapy

?People with a close relative who has had gallstones.

?A study revealed that a gene variant significantly increases the risk of developing gallstones.

?People whose intake of dietary fat is high.

?Twice as many women get gallstones than men.

?People over 60 years of age.

?Native American Indians.

?People who take statins (cholesterol-lowering drugs).

?People with diabetes.

?Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for women during the menopause is linked to a higher risk of gallbladder problems. A study found that HRT administered by skin patches or gels poses a smaller risk than HRT given orally.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I went to the doctor's for a check-up + bloodwork for the first time in about 8 years this week. I was seriously worried because of my diet: I routinely eat 18 - 24 jumbo eggs a week and I tend to binge eat on processed garbage like pizza rolls, Doritos, etc., on the weekends. However, it appears that I am the picture of perfect health. Blood pressure was solid, cholesterol was "excellent" (to quote the doctor), and everything else in me seems to be in good working order.

The one surprise I had was that my weight was 212! It's been nearly a year since I weighed myself, and at that time I was about 195. However, I'm currently wearing the same pants, same belt (using the same belt hole) (both 34), and same shirt (15 1/2, 34/35 sleeve length) that I wore a year ago, and they seem to fit perfectly comfortably. There is absolutely no way I put on 15 pounds of pure muscle in a year, so I'm assuming that weight is incorrect. I've ordered a bathroom scale so I'm going to do a private weighing at home to confirm it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Did you get a glucose fasting test? I too question my eating habits sometimes, yet I'm too lazy to change them or be proactive in detecting if I'm doing anything wrong.

McCheese

Did you get a glucose fasting test? I too question my eating habits sometimes, yet I'm too lazy to change them or be proactive in detecting if I'm doing anything wrong.
I think so? I got 8, 1-2 page pdfs of lab results, but I honestly don't understand the vast majority of it. I see "Glucose, Serum" which I assume is what you're talking about. The value is 83, with the reference range of 65-99, so I assume that's good.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think they only test your glucose fasting level if your original blood sugar levels are over 200. They want to see your fasting levels to see if they stay in the high (or very low) range to see if you have diabetes.

I think that's what Deathwing was asking about.

McCheese

Are you like 5'5, McCheese? How are you only 212 with how you eat?
I'm 6'1. Whether accurate or not, that 212 is going to be at least a few pounds too high. I was weighed in the mid-afternoon after drinking several glasses of water, several cups of coffee, drinking 3 cups of milk + protein powder in the morning, and eating a chipotle bowl for lunch and without having taken a shit for like 18 hours.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
15 lbs. of muscle in a year doesn't sound unreasonable to me at all, assuming you go to gym with some kind of solid regimen 4-5 days out of the week

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I keep getting headaches that I think are linked to drinking too much water. I drink a fuckload of water, I don't measure it but I would imagine it is at least 6-8 liters per day on days when I work out. Reading up it seems that is well within normal realms (although twice the recommended) but a couple of places mentioned something about not drinking too fast, that drinking more than 8 oz in an hour can be ad and I sometimes drink much more than that in an hour. I am going to try cutting back and see what happens.