Westworld

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
So this is an amazing show. Just got done rewatching the entire season for the 2nd time. The thought popped into my head the other day that blew my mind and is making me have to watch the entire season again. That thought is that Ford is actually the first host. Ford is Arnold's Bernard. His original creation and helper to help him design the park. I need to rewatch the entire season from this perspective but one of the first things that made me think of this was the bar scene with Ford and the man in black and Teddy. The man in black goes to cut open Teddy and Teddy grabs the knife and Ford didn't say anything as if he was able to control him through thought alone(aka he's hard wired into the system and is able to control all hosts or maybe almost all other hosts at will).

Ford views himself as their god and savior and says that Arnold didn't know how to save them but he does...because he's one of them. I think the host family he has saved is actually part of his back story and the kid you first see him encounter is actually a "memory" of himself as a child from his back story. I'm still not entirely sure yet but I'll try and put more pieces together if I can find any. Another really good reason why I think this is true is that it's an epic enough of a twist to keep the show very interesting for season 2 which everyone(including myself at one point) seems to think has nowhere to go from here.

Maybe, except the Man in Black wasn't trying to cut open Teddy, he was trying to use his knife on Ford, and when he said he was going to do that, Teddy intervened and grabbed the knife out of his hand, protecting his creator.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Maybe, except the Man in Black wasn't trying to cut open Teddy, he was trying to use his knife on Ford, and when he said he was going to do that, Teddy intervened and grabbed the knife out of his hand, protecting his creator.

Ya you're right but another scene I found is much more compelling. When he's talking to Theresa at the place where she first went there as a child sitting in the same seat and table and the waiter is pouring a glass of wine and it starts overflowing and you see every single host is frozen but never said anything.

Last edited:

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Ya you're right but another scene I found is much more compelling. When he's talking to Theresa at the place where she first went there as a child sitting in the same seat and table and the waiter is pouring a glass of wine and it starts overflowing and you see every single host is frozen but never said anything.

Watch his left hand closely, he raises/lowers his index finger to signal the host. As long as one host can see him, they could transmit the command to others. Or, he has technology inside him that transmits signals based on his gestures. They were showing us that he has many hidden commands/gestures he can use to have complete control over the hosts. The scene with him, Teddy and Man in Black showed this multiple times over as well. The little poem (something something 'smile at perils past') he says to Teddy to get him to 'forget' his injuries so he wouldn't be a burden to the MIB anymore was one of my favorites.

Now, it's still possible Ford is/was a host, but nothing so far proves this.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watch his left hand closely, he raises/lowers his index finger to signal the host. As long as one host can see him, they could transmit the command to others. Or, he has technology inside him that transmits signals based on his gestures. They were showing us that he has many hidden commands/gestures he can use to have complete control over the hosts. The scene with him, Teddy and Man in Black showed this multiple times over as well. The little poem (something something 'smile at perils past') he says to Teddy to get him to 'forget' his injuries so he wouldn't be a burden to the MIB anymore was one of my favorites.

Now, it's still possible Ford is/was a host, but nothing so far proves this.

Did we ever get shown what host was in production in Ford's secret lair? Its hazy to me and I haven't rewatched anything. I think there was a host in production there, but its possible it was revealed and I just don't remember it.

That lair gives the writer's a lot of room to manipulate the story to their liking between seasons, regardless of who is "dead" and who isn't. It was cowardly of them not to trash it before the Season Finale, but only a highly critical individual like myself would be peeved about that kind of weakness.

• 1Picard

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I need to stop visiting this thread, the mountains of bullshit people build out of molehills are stupid.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Did we ever get shown what host was in production in Ford's secret lair? Its hazy to me and I haven't rewatched anything. I think there was a host in production there, but its possible it was revealed and I just don't remember it.

That lair gives the writer's a lot of room to manipulate the story to their liking between seasons, regardless of who is "dead" and who isn't. It was cowardly of them not to trash it before the Season Finale, but only a highly critical individual like myself would be peeved about that kind of weakness.
The implication is he built Bernard there, can re-build him (or Delores) for upgrades or damage if necessary, and could replace others if needed. Also, that he has hidden little side projects, like the family above the workshop, that he doesn't want others to know about. But, no, we were not shown the exact host he was building at the time.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I binged the first four episodes and love the show. I always sympathize with the AI in such stories because human beings can be so terrible. Hell, the park (IRL MMO) is setup to encourage guests to act out their darkest desires. Very twisted and I hope all the "NPCs" become sentient and murder everyone. :p

• 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Odds are, sexbot.

Likely a copy of that black executive chick so he can hate fuck it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I'd never read that theory, but that actually makes a hell of a lot of sense.

In the very-nearly post-scarcity future I can see anacronistic robber barons being so bored that they set up giant amusement parks on Mars. Just because they fucking can. And I can see powerful elements of the society saying, "We do need these types of personalities, and our society provides no real place for them internally, and if we let them unleash these ambitions on earth they really might fuck everything up for us because they're bored... so... go nuts guys! Go forth an conquer new lands! Yaaaaay humanity!"

That's basically Brave New World with a minor adaptation. Instead of sending the malcontents to Australlia, they allow the malcontents to create their own australlia to entertain the plebes with.

Edit: Underwater biodome. Same difference, mostly. It assumes a slightly lower level of tech. But not that much lower. In order to maintain the balance of gasses and the temperature to effectively control the weather in such a volume, they would have to have some sort of power source that makes interplanetary travel a foregone conclusion anyway. It would actually be EASIER to do that iiiiiin sppaaaaaace. Getting people to the park would be harder though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Nautical terms work for both space an underwater too since we have to use ships to get to either.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Watching this for a second time and I think it's a better show the second time through. I think the time fuckery ruins the show a little bit. I think season 1 should have just been Williams first time at the park and season 2 was the 30 years later part. Knowing the ending makes the show better for some reason. I feel bad for Bernard knowing that he's actually a robot that thinks he's a human. Also is Teddy just robot version of William the first time he was in the park. They do the exact same shit pretty much and have the same type of personality but Teddy has confidence.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Watching this for a second time and I think it's a better show the second time through. I think the time fuckery ruins the show a little bit. I think season 1 should have just been Williams first time at the park and season 2 was the 30 years later part. Knowing the ending makes the show better for some reason. I feel bad for Bernard knowing that he's actually a robot that thinks he's a human. Also is Teddy just robot version of William the first time he was in the park. They do the exact same shit pretty much and have the same type of personality but Teddy has confidence.
no, Teddy is as OG as it gets also. Remember when Bernard uploads "WYATT" into Dolores, Bernard said something like "i think you can get Teddy to help you out". Teddy is basically pre-disposed to be Dolores lap dog.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Finished the season recently. Best new show in a long time. The finale was everything you could want and then some. I appreciate stories like this, where you know the endgame at the outset and how it gets there is what matters. With no pretense of unpredictability. Still plenty of twists and turns and skillful ideas along the way.

Djawadi's music is fantastic. Minimalist, glassy and powerful, better than his GoT work.

Don't think the writers have cornered themselves; on the contrary. As a few here said, my skeptical side is doubtful cos s1 is so good, wonder how they can top it.

Maeve going back for her kid is bolstered by Ford's speech, "Lies that tell a deeper truth." Her bond is realer than the fact it's all programmed. Also wondered if that was part of her script or not.

Dolores talking to her bicameral self was a good scene, instantly reminding me of this sort of ancient thing.

Dli4Lz6.jpg

Ford unleashing hell was the best possible ending.

Next season should deal with some murky shit, pitting the hosts against mankind. Interesting stuff.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
This morning my fat sausage fingers caused me to accidentally rate this show as 1 star on the lame star rating system we've got in this part of the forums. This does not reflect my true opinion of the show. How do I change it? Clicking the stars doesn't seem to do anything now.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Stop eating three McD breakfast sandwiches per day man!

• 1Like