Westworld

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That's pretty pointless if he's a robot. Can be whatever age they wanted him to be.
Yes, if you think he's a robot and he literally said I was born here, I guess. I don't think he's a robot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I'm a little curious.

Who has read Jurassic park? or westworld, or futureworld?

Watching Westworld movie. I think its notable, there isn't really any social commentary or, "me am play gods" (hate Diaz.. but hes not wrong on this one..)
xW1MRfi.jpg

Westworld movie is more pure action. The problem is just safety in running a park, not a commentary on creating Robots in the first place. its more about maintenance, and not closing a park in concerns of profits... More akin to the water park fiasco this summer.

Jurassic park movie, on the other hand, is full on. Me am play gods. Science has gone too far, without ethical boundries.

Do the books mirror this?
Does the jurassic park book, have the same science is bad cliches?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Soygen Soygen read above. I suspect JJ Abrams shenanigans but the maze plot of him "wanting to never go back" makes zero sense if he's not a robot. Just wants to live in Westworld raping and pillaging forever?

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
So he will just live in said maze and do what exactly?
I don't know. We have 2 episodes of information and basically 0 information on Ed Harris's character. You're making large narrative leaps based on what? We have no clue what the maze even is and what it leads to. I totally understand the theorycrafting that goes on in these threads, but it's just that; a theory.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Soygen Soygen All I am saying is that it makes zero logical sense right now and I hope we don't get an lol JJ Abrams writing solution.

As I have a serious hardon for sci-fi with transhumanism philosophical elements. Altered Carbon WRU?

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Also, as far as Ed being a robot, there was a scene in yesterday's episode where an employee is watching him kill people in that town and mentions how the customer is killing a bunch of hosts and the head security dude says, "That gentleman gets whatever he wants."

So if he's a robot, the company doesn't even know it?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Soygen Soygen I hope we don't get an lol JJ Abrams writing solution.
You'll get no argument from me here. As far as I know, JJ Abrams has 0 writing credits for the show and is only a producer. Hopefully that will help keep this less Lost-like.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You'll get no argument from me here. As far as I know, JJ Abrams has 0 writing credits for the show and is only a producer. Hopefully that will help keep this less Lost-like.

I literally posed my theory above lol. Anyway my thought is that Ed Harris is some kind of dev/control robot Anthony Hopkins created for one of his "experiments." He's a robot they keep in storage that we've seen AH hangout in with the other retired robots. He is coded to think and act as if he is a guest and AH uses him for some reason. Telling nobody else who or what he is. But he's become aware that he is in a game and wishes to escape. The Maze is his term for the underground maintenance structure we've seen them go to.

My evidence of this is the revelries themselves serving some higher purpose. AH's philosophical musings about mankind and consciousness and Bernie's secret shit he's been doing with Dolores he struck from her log.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
um yeah, he's just a fucking guy.

Clearly he's been vacationing there 2 weeks a year for 30 fucking years, he's gone over the deep end. He's probably explored every single storyline available since the park's inception and has been piecing together the clues about some ARG within the game. This maze thing is just him chasing the dragon right now.

He probably thinks if he solves the riddle then he can be inserted into the matrix or something and achieve immortality by having his conscious uploaded into a host.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Who has read Jurassic park? or westworld, or futureworld? Does the jurassic park book, have the same science is bad cliches?

I read the JP book about 10 times as a kid and I wouldn't say the theme is science is bad, it's more like we try and wield and master powers beyond our control.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The "that guy gets whatever he wants" line also implies that he's more than just a repeat customer. Maybe he's an investor, maybe he knows secrets that would be damaging to the park, maybe he's a billionaire and pays extra for the privelege of murdering unlimited robots.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The "that guy gets whatever he wants" line also implies that he's more than just a repeat customer. Maybe he's an investor, maybe he knows secrets that would be damaging to the park, maybe he's a billionaire and pays extra for the privelege of murdering unlimited robots.

It could simply be a repeat customer thing. Something like a whale at a Vegas hotel.

This show is great at planting seeds though, so who knows.

• 1Like

Brad2770

Or maybe he is someone that lost someone the first time the hosts went nuts 30 years ago.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
That wouldn't explain the scavenger hunt thing he's doing with hidden voice cues to the hosts/hidden scalp maps. Anthony Hopkins just used a service elevator to enter the park. Why not just take that if you're going to go into their underground area?

If you're entering their service tunnels they have you on video the entire time regardless. While it makes sense someone is helping him. The other shit doesn't.

Could be that whoever is helping him (nascent AI?) doesn't have the means to communicate in any normal way and thus has constructed this ARG as a means to reach out? I mean it seems like a stretch, but internal betrayal / human weakness undermining the system is a cornerstone of Michael Crichton's other works (Jurassic Park, Andromeda Strain). This might then support the overall theme even if it isn't from the original source material.

• 1Like

Caliane

Hidden quest in a mmo isn't really a stretch. If we look at this park in the idea, its a live action mmo. Granted if that is what they were going for. A bit more hints of gamer mentality would have been a good idea. Instead of just the vague pseudo-philosophical "people know who they are, they don't come here to find out." They could have outright talked about the Bartle grid... achievers, explorers, killers, socializers.
Bartle taxonomy of player types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users