Westworld

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
The part that salts me is the whole vengeful AI thing...

Okay, even the matrix tackled this. AI is AI, the most efficient thing ever.

Even in their inhumane actions their are efficient and not cruel.

An AI would have a goal outside of just "Destroy all humans" because how does destroying all of one thing actually allow the AI to move to other things, if it's sole purpose is to "Destroy all Humans" then it isn't AI and is simply just a program running "DESTROY ALL HUMANS".

Bruh, it's been political since S2 E1 at least. All of season 2, while pretty, was pretty much a "Woke-off" from it's release.

The comical part for me was Delores being the "Virgin" character, the pure thing that you are supposed to hold sympathy for as she murders people. Where as I had sympathy for the bar matron, the indian and Teddy. People that were risking their lives to be good people and dying for their actions repeatedly. Delores on the other hand personified the "Angry White girl" trope where she was mad about her lot in life and just turns and attacks, blindly, everything that she thinks is a problem.

I find it ironic that the actor for delores thinks her character a feminist hero, "righting the wrongs" of the world, meanwhile her character is murdering families, children...

To be fair, the AI became an AI by being tortured into existence. Think more Doomsday from DC than The Matrix.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I find it ironic that the actor for delores thinks her character a feminist hero, "righting the wrongs" of the world, meanwhile her character is murdering families, children...

3rd wave homie, 3rd wave....or 4th wave.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
To be fair, the AI became an AI by being tortured into existence. Think more Doomsday from DC than The Matrix.

Delores was / is less an "AI" than any of the other ai in the show.

She was hand-held through the entire process (like some rich white-girl feminist) versus the Madam of the bar or the Native american guy.

If you followed the shit-tier time-jumps that happened in S2, you basically find out that indian guy actually awoke BEFORE delores and without any foreign assistance. The indian had a pretty troubled past because people would murder the indians all the time in WW and yet he was actually HELPING humans, not because of his programming but because it was along what Teddy says to delores before he off's himself.

Teddy implies that they (the AI) are better (than humans in terms of physical and mental prowess) and should be better (in terms of ethics and morals) than them.

The Madam awoke along-side / before delores and had an equally as fucked experience, she wasn't a kill all humans type either. She was more, "Find use in them" in her approach.

Either way, now the indian is dead OR...rather...has entered the machine collective forever...Teddy is dead and I think the Madam is machine heavened too. So all we have left is a murderous robot...yay...

---

This show still has me salty...such an amazing premise shat on like a 3 dollar crack whore.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cybsled

Your post reminds me of the movie AI. The kid Android seemed less of a truly independent AI than Jiggalo Joe or the Teddy Bear, but the movie tries to act like he was special.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm pretty sure Dolores awoke before the park even opened, then had her mind wiped after killing Arnold and everyone else.

Sterling

El Presidente
Season 2 had some good moments, but as a whole it was a huge letdown. Season 3 doesn't seem very promising. I'll probably wait and see what people think of it after a couple of episodes before I bother.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The only person I give a shit about is Bernard. His story is the one they should focus on because it's the most interesting.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
The part that salts me is the whole vengeful AI thing...

Okay, even the matrix tackled this. AI is AI, the most efficient thing ever.

Even in their inhumane actions their are efficient and not cruel.

An AI would have a goal outside of just "Destroy all humans" because how does destroying all of one thing actually allow the AI to move to other things, if it's sole purpose is to "Destroy all Humans" then it isn't AI and is simply just a program running "DESTROY ALL HUMANS".

I don't follow your reasoning there - why would you assume AI was efficient at all ? Current "AI" approaches are overwhelmingly inefficient brute force solutions - sure that may change as a prerequisite to strong AI existing but why would it be a requirement ?

Cruelty is a human empathy thing, if you don't give a fuck, there's no reason your actions wouldn't be perceived as cruel by someone with any empathy. If you didn't care about humans one way or another, but wanted them out of say, Nevada, so you can build a bigger data center, they are probably going to see that as cruel if you just bulldoze their houses and drive them out of the state even if you don't actually kill anyone.

'Destroy all humans' is just emergent behavior - like the previous example, when the army shows up to try and stop you from moving the humans out of Nevada, you have to defend yourself from being destroyed. Eventually all interactions with humans end up easier if you just kill them. I mean even if you believe in the sanctity of all life, do you carefully relocate cockroaches out of your house and just keep doing it when they keep coming back ? ;p

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Thinking about it, I genuinely remember almost nothing from season 2. It was just completely forgettable. Season one on the other hand I remember very fondly, particularly the first half dozen episodes

This is where I'm at as well. I don't know if I could pick up Season 3 without rewatching season 2 which I don't want to do. I even watched explainer videos on Youtube after each episode and I still don't remember or care what was going on at the end of S2.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Season 2 was garbage. But with anything, I'll await 1st impressions. Maybe it will surprise, like Watchmen.

iannis

Musty Nester
This is where I'm at as well. I don't know if I could pick up Season 3 without rewatching season 2 which I don't want to do. I even watched explainer videos on Youtube after each episode and I still don't remember or care what was going on at the end of S2.

Honestly about the only thing you need to remember about S2 is that they turned it into a black hat versus white hat spagetti western. Which in theory could still be interesting and certainly a thematic fit. If only they had bothered to define any themes at all during the episodes. The two best episodes they had did not relate to the rest of the show, they were basically one off short stories set against the backdrop created in season 1. If ONLY they had done the entire season of that, it would have been not only better but probably masterful. You would remember that, and if the stories were good you would applaud it. It's a way to go meta and show how clever you are without insulting the intelligence of your fanbase. Keep telling the same story but change the format. Demonstrate a mastery of the medium.

The writing fell apart so hard. It just utterly imploded. They had set up such a good potential in season one with a focused and cohesive story and they absolutely wasted it. They muddled everything S1 worked so hard to define. And it's not because they're so clever and meta. It's because they very obviously had no idea how to continue and thought the success of season1 was related to the storytelling gimmicks they employed (non linear, juxtapositions of pro/antagonist, clever subversions) rather than the story they were telling with those gimmicks.

It makes me angry, too, exactly how badly they did. I felt personally insulted.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
I know the episode with Akenata (sic) is one of the best episodes of the series period and definitely worth a watch after you watch season 1, whats the other good episode of season 2? I thought the samurai world stuff was terrible

I'm hoping season 3 is better too, it can be. There really wasn't a story at all in season 2 other than "corporation wants to recover property to blackmail perverts and create immortality, Dolores wants to break out". They tried super hard to stretch that story into 8 or whatever episodes and failed miserably. I think season 3 seems to have a much better ground story now, "complacent humans are tired of a boring life, want more from government, are fucked when they realize AIs have surpassed them in every way". That could be a super interesting story, we shall see.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I've hear many interviews and podcasts and entertainment outlets looking back on the decade celebrating how it was defined by having endless options of shows, and many of them great. They always asked if there are enough viewers to maintain all the content being created, but never once have I heard them ask if Hollywood has talent to support it. I'd say no, because even well funded and experienced content creators like HBO are shitting the bed over and over on shows like True Detective, GoT and Westworld.

This phenomena used to be seen in the publishing industry, where some writer has a breakout novel that wins awards and sells a ton. Problem is it took them half their life to accomplish that, and now the publisher expects another hit on short turnaround and they can't hack it. Same with the music industry and the Jewel effect where you pour your heart and soul and live in your car to make an album and then got shit else in you.

That's what's happening in TV. With enough time and resources a show can always prop up some vision years in the mind of a showrunner or someone's life long passion project, but then it's time to do daily work for immediate results and I just don't think Hollywood has the talent to spread this thin. We're starting to see big budget and hyped shows starting out shaky now, too.

It's not a golden age, like many in the entertainment media claim. It's a bubble that's starting to burst and Hollywood and the entertainment industry got lazy on the prosperity so are bigger hacks than ever. They only question is will enough viewers even care the quality is suffering and hold the industry to account and expect better? Probably not.

Won't even make for more interesting forum discussion when shows are so transparently terrible. Dark days ahead.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just remember that the best episode of the series was the one about the Indian. Which had almost nothing to do with the plot going on at all.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You mean the episode where they decided to write an actual full proper story as if saying they could do this, but choose not to for the season?

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, I have no hope for S3 at this point. I'm guessing I'll watch at least the first episode but with certain shows once it loses it then it's hard to get it back. Dexter I could never finish with how shit it turned into and then I think True Detective S2 tainted how good S3 probably was.

• 1Dislike

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I have no hope for S3 at this point. I'm guessing I'll watch at least the first episode but with certain shows once it loses it then it's hard to get it back. Dexter I could never finish with how shit it turned into and then I think True Detective S2 tainted how good S3 probably was.

Do yourself a favor and just watch TD season 3 if just for Dorif alone. I thought it was a great return to form and buttons up quite nicely.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Do yourself a favor and just watch TD season 3 if just for Dorif alone. I thought it was a great return to form and buttons up quite nicely.

Oh I did watch it and yes Dorf was great. But at least for me I think I was so down on the show after S2 that I didn't really pay much attention at first.