Westworld

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They most likely recieve an allowance in western currency with their package. If you run out, you can just rob the bank. No biggie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Watched this last night and absolutely loved it. And, man, the scenery. I need to take a vacation out west one day.

Anyway, not sure if this was speculated earlier in the thread, but I'm predicting that The Man in Black (Ed Harris) is a rogue host.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Anyway, not sure if this was speculated earlier in the thread, but I'm predicting that The Man in Black (Ed Harris) is a rogue host.

Talked about on this very page.

The Man in Black said "I didn't pay all this money to be here for you to not put up a fight." And he said it to two known hosts, so he wasn't saying it to fool them.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The Man in Black said "I didn't pay all this money to be here for you to not put up a fight." And he said it to two known hosts, so he wasn't saying it to fool them.

Hmm..wonder if the writers are juxtaposing the roles of the hosts and guests from the original movie? Self-aware androids being hunted by a villainous human.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IMO HBO Westworld setup is exciting as fuck: great cast, directing and production.

• 1Like

Caliane

Hmm..wonder if the writers are juxtaposing the roles of the hosts and guests from the original movie? Self-aware androids being hunted by a villainous human.
I feel like they are walking a minefield of cliches.
If they stick too close to original.. why are they doing this?
If they do swap? rehashing ex machina, etc.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
I have another question..with 2000 hosts and 1400 guests in the park at any one time, how do that account for guests mistaking other guests for hosts and bashing their brains in or raping them?? I don't get the sense that the worlds are instanced for the guests so they are all in the same world. Anyone have any thoughts?
I imagine if you tried to rape another guest at the park, they'd say something about it. They'd physically fight back, or say something like "what the fuck, stop raping me, I'm not a fucking sexbot." Either way, you'll know real quick, and you'll be more culpable for it than in reality since the whole park appears to be recorded.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I won a trip to the Marlboro Ranch a few years ago. It's a dude ranch set up EXACTLY like Westworld. Was a pretty awesome trip. I'll put up pictures and a trip summery a little later on.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Here is my dumb conjecture based on the symbolism and little evidence. Really like the whole religious overtones, fits really well with the nature of the show.

1.) Delores is Eve, oldest woman, first to be able to use knowledge without breaking down (The others could kind of disobey their programing but they went to shit because of it.)

2.) Man in Black (Ed Harris) is the devil. I don't think he raped Delores in the barn (Well, I think he mind raped her). I think he did something to stabilize her so she could act on her new programing. Serpent in the Garden and all. I think Harris might be an old employee who left thirty years ago when shit went down--with the advanced medical technology they have, him changing his face/identity to sneak in and keep an eye on what happened is plausible.

3.) Obviously Ford is God. Very powerful being who Bernard things can't make mistakes, and so what does he do? Creates a bunch of inferior beings who can't retain knowledge and exist in a curated 'garden' that he watches down from. I think something happened thirty years ago that hammered home despite humans curing all disease and having super tech, people still die (He lost someone close ect). I think him and management then decided to try and not just make puppets that entertain people, but 'perfect beings' that could either replace humans (And not experience death) or hold human consciousness, but something about this process is really twisted and he wishes he could go back to the puppets like the dude he was talking to at the start.

This is why that writer guy said it didn't make sense they kept updating, as a park its better of the hosts aren't quite so real. And also why he said Ford is chasing his demons. And lastly why it seems like parts of the park/station they are on aren't being upkept, because they are having budget issues from whatever that project is. Man in Black knows Ford is trying for X thing and is looking to stop him, steal it or use it, devil rebelling against god. (Humans are kind of like angels, in a sense, they come from the place "God" lives (Heaven), say cryptic shit the hosts don't understand, can perform what would be miracles to the hosts (Bring them back to life, make them pass out, mind control ect))

Anyway, probably completely wrong. But I think management and Ford are pushing for more and more lifelike because they need the hosts to be able to well, host a human consciousness (Or its the reverse, hosts are made by flashing a human consciousness that's dying, and the work they do is essentially trying to get them perfected so they can recall their memories, which is why they keep even in the broken one's). Like Is said, probably dumb, but I can't wait to see where the show goes.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So when a host malfunctions (like Deleores' dad) they put it into a giant warehouse with a ton of other malfunctioning hosts, instead of destroying them? Yeah, that isn't going to bite them in the ass... Inb4 the broken host warehouse uprising.

Heh, well, it makes sense. We can see from Delores that hosts can be updated/rebuilt. I imagine these things aren't cheap, and there were little viral campaigns with emails talking about how they had to re-use damaged clothes in the park to save money. And given the lower level wasn't repaired, I think money is an issue.

• 1Like

Caliane

Its presented that they reuse bodys for different programs as well.
Delores dad was the sheriff for a while, and before that, a cannibal cultist professor.. and, the current 'sentient" AI is a spaghetti mix of those 3.

What was Delore's previous identities?

Is there just Westworld?

• 1Like

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
For me, it had some good points and bad points.

I thought that Louis Herthum (Peter Abermathy/Dolores' father) was absolutely brilliant. A couple of the scenes featuring the Westworld staff were horribly overacted . . especially that scene toward the beginning where that one dude literally snarls. I laughed my ass off, wondering how anyone could hire him to act. Also, the female staff member who says "fuck" a lot was cringe-worthy to me, because she sounded like she never said the word before in her life.

Still, it was just the pilot. It can improve. However, I thought this episode was poor.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
For me, it had some good points and bad points.

I thought that Louis Herthum (Peter Abermathy/Dolores' father) was absolutely brilliant. A couple of the scenes featuring the Westworld staff were horribly overacted . . especially that scene toward the beginning where that one dude literally snarls. I laughed my ass off, wondering how anyone could hire him to act. Also, the female staff member who says "fuck" a lot was cringe-worthy to me, because she sounded like she never said the word before in her life.

Still, it was just the pilot. It can improve. However, I thought this episode was poor.

Are we talking about a same pilot.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just watched the first episode and I liked it quite a bit. Felt like a movie more than a TV show.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
You guys realize we're never going to find out the answer to all of these questions, right?

JJ Abrams.jpg

I kid...or do I??

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Took me 3 tries to watch the premier because I kept falling asleep. Not because the show is boring, I have just been busy so I was watching late at night in a very comfortable chair. I really liked it. Great cast, great scenery, very interesting premise. I hope this might be HBO's new hit. The player piano playing Black Hole Sun blew my mind as well.

The big reveal at the end where we find out Delores is one of the oldest hosts and then that she can swat a fly was great. In the whole episode she seemed like the perfectly functioning robot surrounded by glitchy ones. I wonder if she has been sentient for a long time, maybe even during whatever the "critical failure" was in the past and has managed to fool everyone because she somehow knows exactly how to answer the questions to put their minds at ease.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Oh, man. This thread is going to be really bad during this show, isn't it? I can't wait!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I could be wrong, but I doubt Dolores is 30 years old. Pretty sure back then they were using the older models like "Old Bill." Still, it's possible that she was around then and has just had parts upgraded/replaced, but it's usually more efficient to just build a new model.

• 2Like