What are you playing?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just finished both Ori games. I enjoyed the first one for its simplicity. The 2nd one added a lot of powers and shit and I didn’t care for them because I just wanted to beat it and not be a completionist. But good games! What are some other good Switch platformers?

Bloodstained, Blasphemous, Timespinner, Shovel Knight seem like the top of the heap besides Ori.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Bloodstained, Blasphemous, Timespinner, Shovel Knight seem like the top of the heap besides Ori.
Thanks for reminding me that I own Timespinner and haven't played it.

I am currently playing.... Super Mario World, because I haven't touched it in 25 years so why the fuck not?

Also it's about all my totally-burned-out brain can handle right now.

So yeah I just took a 4 day weekend to play Super Mario World and touch grass.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I am currently playing.... Super Mario World, because I haven't touched it in 25 years so why the fuck not?

Nice.

Timespinner a metroidvania of some sort?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Ghost Song just came out, also on Game Pass. So far seems like a really cool metroidvania.

Caliane

Nice.

This one completely passed under my radar. I don't recognize it at all. let me know if its any good, those that try it.

Vigil: the longest night I found a pretty solid metroidvania.
Deedlit: wonder labyrinth was also good. but very short/easy. get on big sale, or gamepass.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I've not played it, but the scuttlebutt about it at the time was it was actually pretty solid, but semi shameless in ripping off other games? It's been awhile now. I've had it on my wishlist for ages too. Probably a wait for sale thing, but from what I read it was at least not a total trash fire.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I gave SMB3 and SMW a run-through during the beginning of the BLM riots (which were happening locally) because they're colorful enough to be the only thing my brain could handle that week.

Rest of my brain was wondering why I was stupid enough to not have a gun on hand.

Anyway Timespinner is great, and looks as much like a late-stage SNES game as any game I've played since then. Like you could fool me that it didn't come out around the same time as Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nice.

Sort of yeah. It's good, just know that some of the characters are like, non-binary or whatnot. Personally it doesn't bother me, maybe someone else will play it and feel represented. It's a small indy studio AFAIK, not Blackrock doing social engineering. And it has no effect on anything, it's just background. The chick you play as is bi (oh my god!) as well.

Get past that stuff and you have a very solid game. After finishing Bloodstained, it piqued my interest, since "Metroidvania type game with a hot chick" is now my favorite genre.

Ender's Lilies is another one I'm looking at.

I think Blasphemous is gonna win the "which one I play through next" battle though.

Playing Bayonetta 3 right now. I'm finding it pretty dull for some reason, maybe because I'm playing in handheld mode and it looks like a PS3 game.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Sort of yeah. It's good, just know that some of the characters are like, non-binary or whatnot. Personally it doesn't bother me, maybe someone else will play it and feel represented. It's a small indy studio AFAIK, not Blackrock doing social engineering. And it has no effect on anything, it's just background. The chick you play as is bi (oh my god!) as well.

Get past that stuff and you have a very solid game. After finishing Bloodstained, it piqued my interest, since "Metroidvania type game with a hot chick" is now my favorite genre.

Ender's Lilies is another one I'm looking at.

I think Blasphemous is gonna win the "which one I play through next" battle though.

Playing Bayonetta 3 right now. I'm finding it pretty dull for some reason, maybe because I'm playing in handheld mode and it looks like a PS3 game.

I loved Ender Lillies - great atmosphere, music, etc.

I'm playing Blasphemous right now a bit too, it's pretty good.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
One of the few youtubers I watch has early access to the early access of Soulstone Survivors, the expanded gameplay looks really good.

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Been in the mood for a single player FPS. Never played COD: Infinite Warfare, just played the MP. Launched it up and am surprised at how fun it is. Don't typically like COD campaigns but this shit is a lot of fun. Helps that I dig the futuristic aesthetic, but even the piloting, which I'm never a fan of, is fun.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Gotta say, Last of Us 2 isn't nearly as bad as everybody says. The gameplay is a bit meh (mainly because I never have enough bullets and have to melee stuff). However the story has grabbed me a bit. I even like Abby, maybe more than Ellie.

The main problem is that they put the story in totally the wrong order. A lot of the Abby chapters should have been earlier in the game. Instead of it being Ellie for the first third, Abby for the second third, Ellie for the end (or whatever it is), they should have cut back and forth between them often and let you get to know the new character.

As it is, they do all this stuff to make you like Abby AFTER your first introduction to her is her killing off the guy everyone likes. None of it works the way it should have and comes off pretty badly.

Shoulda bounced between the two storylines leading up to the Joel incident and let the player know what was on the way in advance, so the player has to look at the situation from both sides.

Regardless, putting aside their massively stupid story choices and taking the story at face value, the game has been alright and I keep playing to see what happens next. Only part I've outright hated was that building with Lev that just went ON AND ON.

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
currently back on AC:Origins on XBOX, the scenario is nice ... I like Egypt somehow and nice is that there are not 1000000000 markers on the map ...
back on Elden Ring on the Steam (Deck) and New World (fresh start)

thinking about Darktide, but I did not like Vermentide 2 but I love w40k ... so not sure, maybe try it and return if not fun
the other thing will be Dwarf Fortress Steam edition :)
and Warzone 2 on PC & XBOX .... I will be a happy camper

Honorable Mention
Hearthstone during cooking ;)
ESO once a week at least ...

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much gave up on Bayonetta 3. I got about a third of the way through the game but I just wasn't finding it interesting compared to other games in the series, probably because of the washed-out Switch graphics. Got to one level where I had to unlock a gate and wandered around lost for like 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do, then realized I was wasting my time playing it. Game is probably good overall, I just got nothing from it. Should have spent that money on Tactics or Pokemon instead. To Ebay!

Last of Us 2 I'm on the final act of the game, probably a couple hours from the end at the most, gonna finish it.

After that it's World of Warcraft for a month and a half or so. Also gonna make time for Pokemon and finally finishing Uncharted 4 and the two Ori games.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I started God of War Ragnarok on PS4 but thanks to DickTrickle DickTrickle for the pointer , I now have a brand new PS5 GOW bundle coming. I guess now I'm going back to GOW new game + until it comes and I can transfer my savegame.

• 1Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Started up a new game of XCOM using the The Long War mod. It's a good hurt.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Splash the Pot
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I really liked how Long War forced me out of my comfort zone with my best troops. I always save scummed to keep people alive in the base game and Long War broke that habit.