What classes from all other MMOs would you bring back into a new Game?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The monk from Everquest, a game needs feign death and split pulling. Same reason for Shadow Knight and Bard from Everquest. Basically most Everquest classes
smile.png

The original Shaman from wow, 2 handed windfury was beast.

The beastmaster warrior from Rift. Best pet/ melee class I have played.
WHOA MAN THE BEASTLORD IN EQ WAS WAAAAAY BETTER

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I love versatile different classes:

Bard (EQ)
Chloromancer(Rift)
Necro(EQ)
Elementalist(GW2)
Riftstalker(Rift)
Blood Mage (VG)
Druid (WoW)
Goblin Shaman(WHO)- lots of fun in PvP

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Beastmaster from FFXI.

Control damn near any mob in the entire game and sic it on anything else. After you done with it, throw it away like a used condom and grab another one. Who don't want that power?

Plus, fun when you fail to charm and have to run for you life until it cools down.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Because flavor of the month is exclusive to open choice systems. Let's just go look at class distribution during vanilla EQ shall we?
It's a different and worse problem for skill (buffet) systems. In a class system one or more classes can feel useless for a particular period but that's fixable without creating a new flavor of the month in theory, if not always in practice. In buffet systems you will always create a new flavor of the month with any change.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The monk from Everquest, a game needs feign death and split pulling. Same reason for Shadow Knight and Bard from Everquest. Basically most Everquest classes
smile.png
This..

Monk EQ1

Which means a game that has a properFeign Deathtype pulling tactic. One of the best accidental mechanics EVER FUCKING DONE, and no mmo devs since have had the balls to do it again. I quit EQ2 within hours of playing it for the first time, once I realized that FD (and my Monk) in EQ2 were a joke.

My main was a ShadowKnight in EQ1 so our FD was a bit gimp, but it still ruled.

Bard EQ1
Enchanter EQ1

Both from around the Kunark expansion. Before all the idiot changes that gimped the best classes (or changed them into something else), and the game.

There are a lot of other classes in other games that deserve to be on this list but it isn't necessary. Most classes in modern MMO's are the same from game to game, with minor changes. I like many of those classes, as do most people, whcih is why they are copied again and again in every new mmo.

It is the EQ Monk, Bard and Enchanter from Classic EQ that have never been properly repeated.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyway, I'd bring in most of the "healer" classes from City of Heroes (except empathy). While they all had some minor, incidental heals, they mostly "healed" by preventing damage by using knockbacks, knockups, stuns, roots, mind controls, etc. I guess more of a control/heal hybrid, but it was a refreshing difference from refilling health bars that you get in most games.
I'd pretty much just bring back City of Heroes, but before they started nerfing whatever powers were the best every single fucking issue. Never seen a game get driven so hard into the ground by incompetent dev work than CoH.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I'd pretty much just bring back City of Heroes, but before they started nerfing whatever powers were the best every single fucking issue. Never seen a game get driven so hard into the ground by incompetent dev work than CoH.
Agreed. The classes in CoH were some of the best the MMO genre has ever seen; but that was also largely due to the scale of combat they interacted with. When you're team is facing huge numbers of enemies at a time, having extremely powerful crowd control and support abilities in play becomes much more viable and less imbalanced compared to the standard fare we see in every other MMO. I'm so tired of having groups run up against perfectly portioned groups of enemies.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Support classes, something that isn't just dps, tank or healer. Things like enchanter, bard and maybe shm from EQ.

Also DPS based healers. IE choloromancer/blood-mage type setups.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Haven't played many tank classes, but these have been my favorite healers and DPS classes:

Healers:
  • Senticar/Inquisicar (Rift pre-1.11)
  • Purifier (Rift post-1.11)
  • Scholar (FF14)

DPS:
  • Swashbuckler (EQ2)
  • Ninja (FF14)
  • Inquisitor (Rift post-1.11)
  • Swiftstone (ArcheAge)

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I doubt you'd get away with copying a class verbatim, but:

I like reactive stuff, like daoc friar counter evade or lotro guardian block reactives (big smash with shield and stun). I also love a good speed boost ability, like daoc friar endurance regen chant + sprint, or old republic sorcerer/sage force speed.

Though probably unseen in mmo land (maybe nwn?), the pale master prestige class is something I'd like to see more of. Trading weaknesses in basic damage/defense for sweet resistances and immunities. Eventually they become immune to stuns, poisons, sleeps, and the big one: critical hits.

Others: Vanguard Psionicist, Warhammer knight of the blazing sun (did I get that right?), daoc warden, and anarchy online fixer.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
God no, fuck that stupid pick everything idea. It was bad enough in a game like Rift where you got to pick from 3 skill trees. Just as I predicted back then, every class had a best build....and there was little to no variance at all. It would be 100x worse.

Just say no to flavor-of-the-month bullshit that will change 50% of the populations classes with every unending balance patch.
TSW had that and that's pretty much happened. All dps were shotgun/AR, all healers were fist/pistol, and all tanks were chaos/blade.

I think Rift's best specs were the rogues. Saboteur, Tactician, and Riftstalker were all pretty awesome and unique

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'll probably never play an MMO again, but if someone had a pure Thief character in a PvP setting, I'd consider it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shadowknight from EQ1 pre-Luclin. They became something else afterwards, but prior to that they were the exact opposite of FoTM and required a considerable amount of game knowledge and technique to be really good.
VG's Bloodmage was a great healer mechanic for sure.
WoW Death Knight (and most classes, actually) before they did the Talent revamp stuff so that Unholy wasn't viable for tanking. RIFT's Reaver based tank early on (before all the nerfs) was close in playstyle, but then it got decimated by the hammer.
WAR's White Lion class was the pre-cursor to the beastmaster/warrior RIFT deal, and I thought the flavor was pretty stellar with it. Too bad it was Order.

I wouldn't mind a buffet style skill system, because while certain min-maxed classes would exist, you could recreate the hybrid concept without having to shove it directly into tank/dps/healer roles. But I would imagine that the masses would take issue with not being told that they are useful for something without having to do a bunch of homework.