What did you just read?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Josephine: Desire, Ambition, Napoleon by Kate Williams

This book follows the life of Empress Josephine, and I think it is probably the most interesting book I have ever read that covers any facet of the Napoleonic Era. I recommend it to anyone who wants to see Napoleon through the eyes of a normal person, opposed to one of his soldiers. You get a really clear view of who the man was, and it is not pretty. Napoleon was an asshole. He hated women his entire life and used them for sex. He used Josephine for emotional stability, until he wanted an alliance with Austria at which point he divorced her and banished her to her home outside of Paris. Even then she wasn't free. In his need to dominate everything, Napoleon refused for her to pursue her own life.

On top of this new and interesting perspective, we also get a look at France and how the country transformed during the Revolution and the Napoleonic Empire. Williams covers fashion, social rituals and architecture in a way that gives a real well-rounded picture of what was going on in France at this time.

Fatal Purity by Ruth Scurr

This book follows the life of Robespierre, who was probably the only pure politician that has ever existed in the history of the world. He didn't care for women or gold or nice things. All he cared about were his beliefs.

What I really found interesting about this book is that Robespierre was not a bloodthirsty monster. In fact, he was quite squeamish. He could send people to their deaths for the littlest things, but he couldn't actually witness their executions. He couldn't even witness their transportation from the jails to the public square where the executions took place.

I think this is an excellent book because it takes the time to break down the soft power interactions that Robespierre took part in, and shows his rise from a provincial lawyer to the President of the committee that was running France.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Dungeon Lord [1-3] - Hugo Huesca
This is 100% Dungeon Keeper the Story, with a disaffected computer store employee being offered a 'great' opportunity as a 'dungeon lord' in an alternate reality after he blows his life up. He somewhat optimistically decides that he can be both a dungeon lord and a good guy, which is kind of like joining ISIS with the intention of being a humanitarian.

I disliked the whole idea of the Objectivity, it's kind of like playing d&d with an asshole GM. The story was fun though, with him building out his dungeon and stocking it with an unlikely variety of crappy minions.

This one was not amazing, but this was entertaining enough to read the first three. I will probably read more.
Warning: Book 4 goes into a different direction, with new bad, and end... with a massive WTF cliffhanger.
He Who Fights With Monsters - Shirtaloon - ongoing
Litrpg/Isekai - this was the winner of a 1 chapter read off between this, Delve and Defiance of the Fall for which web serial I'd start next. I haven't regretted that decision at all, as I found it an excellent read, and very engaging.
I'm slightly disappointed with the current arc. It feels like the author has lost a bit of his impetus, and is trying to pump out power, showering Jason and team with OP stuff and the like. Jason's also gone from beach surfer dude to politician leader, which feels a bit off. I think Shirtaloon has no idea where to go for his story in the future, and is trying to stretch stuff. Some of the recent battles were walls of ability descriptor, which became annoying - you skipped the whole battle and started reading again at the end of the fight.

Defiance of the Fall... started falling off in originality fast. Zach pretty much stopped being a believably vulnerable Lord, as every opponent is tuned exactly right for him. And, of course, the System keeps throwing awesome rewards to him. Which is too bad - the original base of the story was very good, but it slowly faded, and wasn't replaced by anything as interesting.

Of the three, Delve remains the most interesting. It is also the slowest in term of contents - one major chapter every week instead of five filler chapters a week - which I assume is a contributor to the quality. Of course, it also started as a massive math exploration of a system with only a side story, and the action is only ramping up now.

My current RR "most interested" story is Ivan Kal's Infinite Realm: Monsters and Legends.

It's unabashedly a serial about OP characters. Regularly, the System Apocalypse happens, and the top ten thousand people at the end of the grace period get a pass to the Infinite Realm, while the planet is destroyed and harvested for Essence. So, regularly, every "Ranker" of the various worlds (with all kind of fantasy races, of course) end at the "center" of the titular universe (a flat, infinite plane with a sun above that cycles between day and night).

With the seventh iteration of Earth, however, things go wrong. There are no ten thousand Rankers qualified... by the time there's only two minutes left before the end of the world, there are only seven people still alive on Earth. And they're on the top of the Everest, with six fighting against the seventh. In fact, they are going to sacrifice themselves so that the #1 ranker cannot ascend, because of the crimes he committed (hint: he has a title for killing more than 500,000 people).

Of course that fails at the last second, and the last two Rankers of the 7th Earth end up in the Infinite Realm. The genocidal murderer, and the avenging nemesis.

Ivan Kal write well enough, and, for once, he's got a web series instead of one of his multiple series on Kindle. And trying to make a book 1 focused on someone who is introduced as the murderer of mankind is... an interesting exercise. It's not entirely believable at times, but the journey is interesting.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, I was really enjoying Seveneves by Neal Stephenson until it completely jumps the shark in the third act...

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I know some people have been disappointed with the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson, but honestly I still really enjoy it. I'm listening to the new book in the Maverick's spin off, and it's solid. I think I just like his sense of humor, and RC Bray is just a killer narrator.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rapp: The Last Victor by Jean Rapp

I wanted to like this book, because I have a fascination with the Napoleonic Era.

Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy this book because of how dry it is. I understand these are Jean Rapp's memoirs, but that just leads me to believe Rapp had zero story-telling ability. The most interesting piece comes at page 200, and in book with about 239 pages of actual text this is quite unsatisfying.

Why does the book start after Napoleon is Emperor? Why didn't Rapp write about his early years, or his time in Egypt? I believe he wrote this book to provide a different look at Napoleon himself. After the Napoleonic Wars, Napoleon didn't have a great reputation throughout Europe. Rapp was quite close with the Emperor, and probably took exception to this popular view. He seems to have written his memoirs, which frequently feel like a little brother writing about how cool and strong his older brother is, in order to redeem his former master.

If you have any interest in this book, I can tell you it is not worth it. You won't learn anything new about Napoleon. Rapp worships at his altar and completely ignores how the Emperor treated his wife Josephine, or how he threw away his soldiers. On top of that, you won't learn anything about Rapp. Just like fellow Alsatian Michel Ney, he was quite a reserved man. He also stuffed his memoirs with letters sent between himself and the Emperor, or to various sovereigns of European nations. There's little to no personality in this book and absolutely no new perspective to be attained.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just finished up Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

The Day of the Triffids - Wikipedia

I've been going through a bunch of old 1970s science fiction lately for lack of any other ideas. Going in with basically zero knowledge aside from what I thought was a goofy premise (genetically engineered plant apocalypse) I was surprised by how good it was. It has a "our hero wakes up in the hospital after things have already gone to shit" opening which made me wonder how old that trope is. He meets some people, things go good, things go bad, etc. I don't want to talk it up too much but it was a pleasant surprise just as Alas Babylon and The Death of Grass were.

I suspect the film is ridiculous.

Book vs. Flick: The Day of the Triffids

edit - didn't realize the book was released in 1951. That makes its quality given the subject matter even more surprising.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I know some people have been disappointed with the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson, but honestly I still really enjoy it. I'm listening to the new book in the Maverick's spin off, and it's solid. I think I just like his sense of humor, and RC Bray is just a killer narrator.
RC Bray bloopers at the end are becoming my favorite part

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gonneville of the Cuirassiers: The Personal Recollections of a French Cavalryman of the First Empire

by the Countess de Mirabeau

cuirassiers.jpg

With this book you get exactly what it says on the title. These are the persona recollections of a French cavalryman during the Napoleonic years.

There is little to no reference to politics or great battles. Gonneville only writes about where he was and what he say while he was there. For the most part it is dry. The man is literally doing his best to recollect everything that happened to him during the years of 1804-1815 (he also adds his view of the Revolution of 1830 in the final chapter).

Because of the author's thoroughness we come away from these memoirs with two things; very little of the content in this book is exciting or grandiose. There is none of the flair that makes Napoleonic history so attractive. But the strength of these memoirs lies in that fact. We get a look into the daily life of a soldier. Unlike Jean Rapp (who was Napoleon's translator and the castellan of both Danzig and Hamburg) and Joachim Murat (who rose to become King of Napoli and a Marshal of France), Gonneville's memoirs belong with the letters of Lasalle and the memoirs of Baron de Marbot.

These three men bring the perspective down to the men who actually struggled to bring about Napoleon's vision, and it is the little moments of their lives that make it worth reading their memoirs.

Some interesting things from Gonneville's memoirs; becoming a prisoner and making friends with his captors, hunting for bread and beer in a land ravaged by war, witnesses a feud between two generals, hunting down bandits in the highlands of Spain, and participating in a wild charge to escape a certain-death situation.

A Brightness Long Ago

by Guy Gavriel Kay

brightness.jpg

This is the third book by Guy Gavriel Kay that I had read. The one previous to this was The Lions of Al-Rassan. The third was Children of Earth and Sky.

In a lot of ways A Brightness Long Ago is a cousin to Lions. They both feature strong warriors facing off against each other, include an independent woman skilled in medicine, have a young man learning and growing as he enters the world, and a building plot that marches towards an outbreak of war.

Yet in a lot of ways Brightness is the older, more mature version of Lions. I think in that comparison we can see as clear as day how Kay has grown - not only as a writer - but as a person. He focuses more on character now. He focuses on how we perceive ourselves versus how others see us, and how virtuous action can have a ripple effect we never become aware of. I guess thirty years will do that to you.

One of the main reasons why I picked up this book is because it takes place in the same geographical location as Children of Earth and Sky. I wanted to revisit these lands, even though I knew it took place at a different place in time. What really struck me was that at the end of Brightness it dovetails into Children. Hugely satisfying moment that I didn't see coming, though I suppose I should have.

In short, there is a lot of wisdom and a lot of human truth in this novel. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to get attached to characters, and who get depressed when they finish a real good story.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I read IQ84 and Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Saramaki last week based on some recommendations here.

Awful overrated trash. I absolutely cannot stand writing like that.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My current RR "most interested" story is Ivan Kal's Infinite Realm: Monsters and Legends.

It's unabashedly a serial about OP characters. Regularly, the System Apocalypse happens, and the top ten thousand people at the end of the grace period get a pass to the Infinite Realm, while the planet is destroyed and harvested for Essence. So, regularly, every "Ranker" of the various worlds (with all kind of fantasy races, of course) end at the "center" of the titular universe (a flat, infinite plane with a sun above that cycles between day and night).

With the seventh iteration of Earth, however, things go wrong. There are no ten thousand Rankers qualified... by the time there's only two minutes left before the end of the world, there are only seven people still alive on Earth. And they're on the top of the Everest, with six fighting against the seventh. In fact, they are going to sacrifice themselves so that the #1 ranker cannot ascend, because of the crimes he committed (hint: he has a title for killing more than 500,000 people).

Of course that fails at the last second, and the last two Rankers of the 7th Earth end up in the Infinite Realm. The genocidal murderer, and the avenging nemesis.

Ivan Kal write well enough, and, for once, he's got a web series instead of one of his multiple series on Kindle. And trying to make a book 1 focused on someone who is introduced as the murderer of mankind is... an interesting exercise. It's not entirely believable at times, but the journey is interesting.

Started this one today. Reminds me of Crucible. Which is great for just relaxing fun reading.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just finished rereading Snow Crash and all of the Stormlight books. Finally was able to get into The City We Became, almost done with it. It's by Jemison, it's awesome, very reminiscent of Neverwhere by Gaiman.

A bunch of Audible credits and I'm not sure where to spend them right now. I am leaning towards picking up Heart-Shaped Box and NOS4A2, I've heard good things about Joe Hill. I was tempted to pick up the Void Trilogy by Hamilton, I heard they were amazing and I liked the first two books from The Commonwealth Saga well enough and I really like The Great North Road. But the first couple of hours of The Dreaming Void was just a jumbled mess and didn't draw you in at all.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was tempted to pick up the Void Trilogy by Hamilton, I heard they were amazing and I liked the first two books from The Commonwealth Saga well enough and I really like The Great North Road. But the first couple of hours of The Dreaming Void was just a jumbled mess and didn't draw you in at all.
Well, there it is.

The rest of the trilogy isn't any better.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just finished the three books in the Era Two of Mistborn. Made me realize how much emotional attachment i developed to the characters in the first trilogy. Good stuff.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ukerric Ukerric okay Infinite Realm was good shit.

I think the writer really fails at making you hate the MC though. It probably would have been way better if he used the 10k only moving to the Infinite Realm as a reveal rather than something stated in the first chapter. It's hard to hate Ryun since he was pursued from the beginning for simply not wanting to play on their team. Along with the other thing he didn't have much control over.

Zach is a good character because he's someone who desperately clings to something even if that something is stupid and he knows it. So he clings to, "law" even if he knows outright that the law is terrible and awful but its better than no laws. At least to him and he completely lacks the will to just live by his own rules. It's interesting to see his development because he has no comparable talent, will, or ability to challenge Ryun and also knows it. He's also a massive hypocrite of the highest order and just shrugs that too.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think the writer really fails at making you hate the MC though.
I'm not sure you are supposed to hate the MC. He's made into a kind of anti-hero, not a villain. He's got his personal morality, and doesn't give a shit. In a way, he's "Han Shot First" to the thousandth power.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Short update this time around due to broken fingers. Only web serials for this one, caught up on a few long ones.

Delve - Senescent Soul
You know how in Isekai/Litrpg stories the ultra nerd main character has an instant and complete 180 in personality to be an action hero jock, with any nerdiness being relegated to random pop culture references ? I hadn't actually hadn't thought about it much until reading this story. In this one the MC is absolutely still a nerd, and his 'OP''ness is essentially basic math and extrapolation. He spends a lot of time testing how different skills and effects interact with each other and picking rarely used talents based on that. A man after my own heart.

I also rate his choice of purification aura as a skill. In retrospect, 99.9% of all Isekai stories probably should end with the MC dying of dysentery or food poisoning, or at the very least spending 90% of their time looking and smelling like a filthy hobo ;p

I like this one a lot, it's different from the usual run of the mill stuff, and very well written.

Defiance of the Fall - The First Defier
Earth gets pulled into a gigantic battle royale style rpg with a bunch of other people from different alien planets. MC gets a head start by accidentally telefragging one of the inbound invasion leaders.

This starts out as a pretty interesting survival game type scenario but gradually evolves into "OP'man smashes all before him, rawr smash !" Not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, but it's a bit of a tonal shift from where it started.

One thing that bugged me though is, as Ukerric pointed out, the MC basically continuously fails upward - any setback is actually the hidden secret to real ultimate power™. That's also not inherently bad, but it is waaaay overused here. If the guy slips in the shower it will turn out to be the secret requirement to unlock the unlimited levitation power.

Overall I still enjoy it, but some eye-rolling is definitely needed at times.

Azarinth Healer - Rhaegar
This was recommended by the author of Delve. It's kind of like the story equivalent of this xkcd joke, where the main character has about as much self reflection and reaction to being transported to a different world as a jaded WoW player does to a new expansion, basically focusing on punching everything to death, because why the fuck not.

There's a certain appeal to a stripped down power fantasy bare of anything resembling a plot, but I hesitate to recommend this one because the writing quality is truly next-level terrible on every level. Spelling and grammar errors are not uncommon in self-published stuff, but this author has trouble with tenses, basic sentence structure, speech, verbs and objects. I am pretty sure he invented a few new rules of grammar just so he could break them inconsistently ;p

Gods and Monsters - Ivan Kal
Ukerric pretty much covered the basics of this one earlier. It's well written and edited, with an interesting story that goes a few unexpected places.

My main complaint was one common to multiple storyline stories; some of the storylines are just more interesting than others. In my case, past Ryun was just vastly more interesting than current Zach. This was mitigated as the story went on though, as the author realised this, and basically folded it down into two storylines from the original four, with a relatively even balance between them.

I am a little sad ( and somewhat skeptical* ) at the attempts to re-frame Ryun's past crimes, as the original concept of the sociopathic monster contrasting with the failed avenger could have gone interesting places.
The story of escalating confrontation and retaliation is intially plausible, but extending that through to where *everyone* is dead takes a bit more suspension of belief than I have available. There was no faction/society/bunch of loners hiding in the forest who, at some point in this process, thought 'gee, everyone who has pissed this guy off has died horribly, why don't we just leave him alone', or who simply didn't give a fuck about him or his crimes ?

I will note that the game mechanics don't really pass the sniff test though - Ryun's skill would be the single most overpowered thing seen in any game ever, if it wasn't made to look weak by the artifact knife the jack the ripper wannabe has. That guy and his 'evil plan' has got to be the dumbest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.

I quite like this one and will continue reading.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
@valk

I thought he did Ryun's weakness well enough. While he is hilariously OP when he has many enemies to fight at once to trigger his powers he is nearly defenseless against those who have duelist builds focusing on 1v1. As well as anyone with more technical skill at martial arts than he does.

velk

Trakanon Raider
@valk

I thought he did Ryun's weakness well enough. While he is hilariously OP when he has many enemies to fight at once to trigger his powers he is nearly defenseless against those who have duelist builds focusing on 1v1. As well as anyone with more technical skill at martial arts than he does.

Oh sorry, I think I was unclear. I meant from if the rules were an actual game that people played - having a skill that is 'absorb x% of lifetime experience from a target' in a game where people 'spend' experience on stuff would be so laughably broken. It can work in a story for the same reason that Superman does.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Read He Who Fights With monsters on RoyalRoad.

I enjoyed it. While it starts out as a mild typical Isekai/LitRPG it eventually abandoned the majority of LitRPG tropes and becomes a normal adventure series. Dude from Australia gets thrown into magic world where magic is reserved for aristocrats more or less. Adventuring is super dangerous. He obtains magic and is a good person but the magi he obtains revolves around Lovecraftian body horror powers and spreading DOTS. Which are frowned upon by most people despite his good intentions.

Builds interesting villains, worlds. I like most of the characters and his nemesis is actually pretty good.

• 2Like