What did you just read?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I've pirated books on a kindle for 10 years.
And changing formats to suit the kindle, usually from ePub, often ends up in badly formatted files. It’s a pain in the ass but is only necessary for kindle.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
And changing formats to suit the kindle, usually from ePub, often ends up in badly formatted files. It’s a pain in the ass but is only necessary for kindle.
It used to be an issue when people had to scan and OCR them manually, but nowadays the downloaded retail .epub files seem to convert flawlessly with Calibre. About the only time something is screwy is if there is a chart, like shitty lit rpg books (yes, I read them too!) that give a character sheet and it is either too small to see, or too large to fit on a page. And some pictures, but rarely. Other than that, text-wise, I haven't noticed any problems in several years now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I admit this happend a lot in 2010-2013 or so. But I haven't had a bad epub to mobi conversion in many years now

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I was downloading old versions but I have had a few books convert terribly even this year so I just bought a kobo to avoid that annoyance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Life in a Medieval Castle by Frances Gies and Joseph Gies, and The Knight in History also by Frances Gies. History books that are, well, exactly what they say on the covers. They're on the shorter side, so not massive time commitments, but that also means they're not large enough to really be deep dives into their subjects. Even so, the information's good, and they're very readable. You might not get a lot out of them if you're already knowledgeable on their subjects, but they're excellent as more introductory books.

Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. Book 3 of the Gentleman Bastards series. The continuing adventures of conman and thief Locke Lamora, where he gets strong-armed into rigging an election on behalf of the setting's resident guild of terrifying mages. They toss in a weird fucking twist with this one that is clearly a setup for future books--which in a lesser book would've made me throw up my hands at how fucking out of left field it felt--but this series so far has been strong enough that I'm willing to see where Lynch goes with it. Aside from that, this continues to be a fun series that I'm thoroughly enjoying.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
The only book I have ever had 'corrupt'/transfer badly with Calibre out of 471 books was The Stone Sky. All the others went to ePub just fine.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
About the only time something is screwy is if there is a chart, like shitty lit rpg books (yes, I read them too!) that give a character sheet and it is either too small to see, or too large to fit on a page.
And serious books as well. Anything relatively scientific is a pain in ebook form, as most of the time, the charts and illustrations end up cut to the side or, in one case, I only had the top of the illustration at the end of the page, and no illustration on the next - I needed to use calibre's on-computer reader to check them.

So, those books are the ones I purchase in dead tree mulch form.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I was downloading old versions but I have had a few books convert terribly even this year so I just bought a kobo to avoid that annoyance.
There is one publication pipeline at Orbit that is bad - conversion of their ebooks gives me an epub where every paragraph is on its own page. It systematically happens for 2 specific authors, which makes me suspect that their authoring software suite interacts badly with Orbit's in-house tools.
The only book I have ever had 'corrupt'/transfer badly with Calibre out of 471 books was The Stone Sky. All the others went to ePub just fine.
That's an Orbit ebook, see above.

• 1Solidarity

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Just read Salvation from Hamilton. It is sort of part spy / action / cop thriller, part lovey teenage drama.

It feels similar to the commonwealth books, but there are subtle differences.

The action stuff is great. The mystery stuff in the story is great. The teenage soldiers trained by futanari elves bit usually put me to sleep.

I started on the second book and it has been really great so far.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Last chapter of Infinite Realms on Royal Road was really, really good. I kind of suspected something like that was going on. But I absolutely did not expect what Zach did about it. Really making him into an interesting character instead of a really boring Paladin type character. Glad to see it.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Last chapter of Infinite Realms on Royal Road was really, really good. I kind of suspected something like that was going on. But I absolutely did not expect what Zach did about it. Really making him into an interesting character instead of a really boring Paladin type character. Glad to see it.
The author did a bit of a fake-out earlier
By making it possible that the Warden Chief would be the Night Horror - female, and waiting for the report - but a lot of people called out Quell being it.

He's still a Paladin. But he's interested in redemption rather than avenging.

And of course the higher up at the Wardens actually agree with the Night Horror philosophy. Yikes.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The author did a bit of a fake-out earlier
By making it possible that the Warden Chief would be the Night Horror - female, and waiting for the report - but a lot of people called out Quell being it.

He's still a Paladin. But he's interested in redemption rather than avenging.

And of course the higher up at the Wardens actually agree with the Night Horror philosophy. Yikes.
It was so painfully obvious that it was quell, and after he locked the part of himself that protects the ones whom he loves it was also obvious he wasn’t going to be able to kill her either. Didn’t expect her to go adventuring with her or anything though

• 1Like

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Notes from Underground and The Double by Fyodor Dostoevsky

** spoiler alert ** Fyodor Dostoyevsky's 'Notes from Underground' should be taught in highschool classes, because the soul of this text is more important than ever. In the Narrator, we see the same foundation-less sickness spreading through American society. He is a man without religion or morality, and so drifts without direction through life. He finds no human connection, nor satisfaction and sinks into the depths of St Petersburg's underground.

The second half of this book is a story called 'The Double.' It packs a less philosophical punch than 'Notes from Underground' but is still a fever-dream that demands the reader turn the page until the very end.

Why are these two stories, seemingly so different, bounded together in one book? Because 'Notes from Underground' deals with a man drifting through modern society, a product of a system without inherent morality. 'The Double' shows another victim of this system, who over the course of his story breaks down mentally. The difference is in the approach, as the protagonist in 'The Double' holds to some morality. Nevertheless he is broken down by a system that transforms people into copies of each other, not caring for their individualism. Only their productivity.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It was so painfully obvious that it was quell, and after he locked the part of himself that protects the ones whom he loves it was also obvious he wasn’t going to be able to kill her either. Didn’t expect her to go adventuring with her or anything though

Well, she's also a Cthulhu squid face now as opposed to a sexy demon chick with a tail. Might be an interesting buddy cop thing? From what Big Warden said the other High Rankers like Eratemus the Lich and the yet unmet ones in their little Illuminati group are a bunch of assholes. I guess the entire point of their club is to intentionally keep others down? While the Sea Captain, the wandering monk guy and Big Warden don't really see it that way.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I am glad to see He Who Fights is back, the new setting has some entertaining possibilities and I like what I see so far.

I wonder who his backup is - it's presumably not someone he has met before or Shade would have recognised them

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I wonder who his backup is - it's presumably not someone he has met before or Shade would have recognised them
The most likely one is of course Farrah. She died around chapter 110 in the first astral space fight, before they went to the sunken city and met Shade (in ch. 157).

(and, as foreshadowing, in chapter 138... “So you’re saying,” Gary said, “that if we convince this Reaper to give her up, we can bring Farrah back?”)

• 2Like

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The White Company, by Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a lesser-known book of his, but I enjoyed it. It takes place in the 1300's, where war, chivalry, jousting, etc is daily life. I listened to the Audiobook and the narrator did an amazing job, using difference voices for each character.

Sir Nigel, also by Conan Doyle, was written after The White Company, but is actually a prequel to it. I'm listening to it now. It has a different narrator who is not nearly as talented as the other guy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The White Company, but Arthur Conan Doyle. It's a lesser-known book of his, but I enjoyed it. It takes place in the 1300's, where war, chivalry, jousting, etc is daily life. I listened to the Audiobook and the narrator did an amazing job, using difference voices for each character.

Sir Nigel, also by Conan Doyle, was written after The White Company, but is actually a prequel to it. I'm listening to it now. It has a different narrator who is not nearly as talented as the other guy.
For funsies, Sir Nigel Loring and Sam Aylward are major characters in the Emberverse series by S. M. Stirling. Pretty much the entire cast is there (John Hordle, Alleyne, ...)