What did you just read?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Bronze Donator>
51d 16h 9m
Builds interesting villains, worlds. I like most of the characters and his nemesis is was actually pretty good.
The latest chapter prepares the introduction for the next arc.

This world is not ready for a Jason, I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: TJT

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Silver Donator>
The latest chapter prepares the introduction for the next arc.

This world is not ready for a Jason, I think.
I'm caught up. Thadwick Not Thadwick will be a soul vampire that thinks and has the memories of Thadwick. Not bad for a nemesis. He'll also have the Sin Sword or whatever it is supposed to be.

Builder was cool as s Lovecraftian entity but now that he decided that the Builder is just a super duper Diamond Ranker it kind of takes a lot of the mystery out of it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Ukerric

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Bronze Donator>
51d 16h 9m
I'm caught up. Thadwick Not Thadwick will be a soul vampire that thinks and has the memories of Thadwick. Not bad for a nemesis. He'll also have the Sin Sword or whatever it is supposed to be.

Builder was cool as s Lovecraftian entity but now that he decided that the Builder is just a super duper Diamond Ranker it kind of takes a lot of the mystery out of it.
Strictly speaking the Builder is two ranks above Diamond. Diamond - God (local) - Global entity. But yes, a lot of people have complained about the xianxia aspects of the very obvious "ascension" story where Builder, Reaper, World Phoenix, Celestial Book and the rest have been apparently mortal once, then rose above.

But I was expecting Jason to head back to Earth as a fully fledged Adventurer at one point, and that next arc might deliver. Australian snark backed by magical superpowers? Hell yea!

• 1Like
Reactions: TJT

chaos

JunkiesNetwork Donor
41d 6h 39m
Just finished The City We Became a week or so ago. I don't think I'd recommend it for most here. If you're already a fan of Jemison or whatever, sure. If you love Lovecraft, it's a must. It's basically a modern day Lovecraft story. But, it's just part 1 of the story, I believe she is doing a trilogy. The "living city" thing has been done a few times, and most strikingly the book reminds me of Neverwhere. However, Lovecraft himself is a major topic in the book, and his stories, and his views. It isn't controversial to say that Lovecraft was openly racist as fuck, even for his time. And that shit was baked into his ethos. And that he is undoubtedly one of the fathers of modern horror. The author did an interview where she talked about that, here's this guy who writes these beautiful books, amazing horror, so much of our culture stems from him, and he was just over the top crazy ass racist, and you can't even divorce that from his art because he incorporated it into his art and we built the concept of modern horror on many of his ideas. Anyway, I liked it, I enjoy it, and I like the author. There's one character that kind of gets shit on, but I have faith that will be fixed in later books, Jemison has a style. If you're the type who will be triggered by the ideas I have mentioned being in a book, I'd invite you to read one of her other series first maybe, she's good and you'd be missing out if you give her a pass. But yeah, the book is about the city of New York "being born", where New York is represented by an avatar of each burrough that takes over a person. There's a predator though, waiting in the darkness between worlds for cities to be born, it eats them, takes them, etc.

I went ahead and picked up Heart Shaped box, which is a damn good book, cool ghost story, halfway done already. Also got Ocean at the End of the Lane and Lovecraft Country and NOS4A2.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
49d 47m
Finished up Alistair Reynolds revenger trilogy.

I like the age-of-sail sunjammer type setting with the treasure hunting and pirates and such. The protags are interesting and likeable.

The story itself was kind of not that great though. Seemed a bit current event influenced.

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Silver Donator>
Started reading Blessed Time on Royal Road. I like the premise and it might be an interesting character journey.

However, the main character is a soy boy little bitch and he's also annoying. Almost like a shitty main character of an anime series. I hope he improves significantly as the series seems to indicate he will. But right now he's just annoying and the worst character of his group. The author might have a problem with making the inevitable time jumps coherent too. I think he may have messed up on the scope of it.

EDIT: Okay holy fuck this got unbelievably grimdark right quick.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: velk

TJT

Adrenaline Junkie
<Silver Donator>
Vaudevillain just had an amazing few chapters. Incorporating the clash of someone playing a game and having fun with it versus his best friend, a metagaming tryhard, just really rings true.

Especially on this board.

LachiusTZ

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
101d 5h 12m
Read Haidt's coddling of the American mind a second time.

Should be required reading for every human in the western world

Brand

Molten Core Raider
15d 19h 48m
If you like Jack Reacher/Lee Child, try The Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. I stumbled on them recently and they are fun.