What do you do?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Saving 800 a month? Are you going from uninsured receiving cancer treatment to a cadillac plan?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's insane. I went from paying like 700 a month at a non profit to about 260 a month at my new job on a family plan. Your insurance must be really bad now.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, wow. I'm paying like 580 a month now and will be paying 200 if I get picked up at this new job.

So they're having me interview with the govt lead, I've never had to do that before but whatever. They sweetened the pot with VCP training which, OK sure. Just what I want, another certification to maintain. Why the fuck they are sending me to vmware training when they use xen I have no idea.

Trying to finagle a way out of having to pay back my TA to my current company. Thinking I might talk them into letting me moonlight there for a couple of months so I can go insane working 2 full time jobs and going to school full time. Promised the wife a trip if it works out.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ever get vindictive when you are found to be 100% correct at a later date? Normally I wouldn't screw with it, but guy made it personal when he went out of his way to spread the word about how I thought he was in over his head. I never even mentioned his name to people in the business and kept it to myself. But word gets around pretty fast.

Interviewed a few years ago for PM job at a shop doing the university medical center in New Orleans (which oddly enough is the largest employer in the state). I told him good luck I didn't think it was going to work out like you think it will. I didn't say anything ugly, just wasn't going to waste time on it.

They went bankrupt and now their shop is for sale and the project is only 3/4 finished (still have the VA hospital in a state of flux now). I didn't know till I drove by today and saw their shop up for sale along the interstate. I'm tempted to call around and find out where the guy put in an application and put my 2 cents in. He was one of these guys who was <30 and had it all figured out. He was the guy who said he was going to come to LA and show these rednecks and coonasses how business is done. Good luck with that lol in our industry.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My insurance went up when I changed jobs and it caused some heart burn. Highway robbery on a family plan.

Borzak

Sounds like a dick move. Wasn't even personal to you.
How is it not personal to me when he went around to everyone in our industry talking about much of a dumb ass I was during an interview. I didn't mention to anyone even going on the interview because I figured that was private. It got back around to me from several people he opened his mouth to.

All I did was turn down the job he offered and said I don't think it's going to work out like you think it is. It didn't.

I'm not going to make a big deal, but I know 2 guys who worked there and I'm going to call around and see what happened to them. They were both in estimating and see if they need a reference since I've known them 25 years and both are top notch.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Wow. I think my current boss is throwing shade at me transferring to IT. After talking with HR last week and things going well, I was waiting to hear from the IT director like we discussed. A few days later I get the "thanks but no thanks" email that people get when they don't make it past HR. Then an hour later, they posted the job on indeed.com.

I'm not sure what to think. The email said they went with a more experienced candidate, but clearly the job is still open. I don't particularly like the day shift supervisor or my director, but they are petty people.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-11.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sorry Flip, thought you had that one already in writing. Sounds like typical corp BS to me, though.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'll just keep looking. But it seems all other jobs will be a hefty pay cut. May be better off just keeping my head down and finishing my degree.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'll just keep looking. But it seems all other jobs will be a hefty pay cut. May be better off just keeping my head down and finishing my degree.
Yep. You should use that extra money at the ISE this weekend to buy a boat to make you feel better while you finish your degree.

Borzak

I made some calls this morning. Guy isn't working in this state anymore so no point I guess. In the few minutes I talked to the guy I determined he had no experience and was way over his head. I'm more curious in who he blackmailed to get the job. Apparently he was a draftsman who had never entered a shop, never been to the field and put in charge of a company fabricating steel lol. As a SWAG I will say the 2 contracts were probably in the $20-$30 million range.

He told me they came in way under in their bid because they were going to save a ton on labor because they built their shop 30 minutes from town. Newsflash, most people working in the plants live more than 30 minutes from town. He couldn't compete with places paying $40/hour by paying $12/hour when all they had to do was drive 30 minutes. He told me "Nobody is going to drive that far".

Oh well carry on.

I went to their parent company's website yesterday to see if they had anything up about it. They had a pic of the people running the company in their shop standing around in tuxedos. That would have told me all I need to know.

Kind of a hobby of mine, find out why a company went under so I don't get involved in doing the same thing.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So, in a twist, my boss is making a play to keep me. Before it was just "hey guys trust me, have faith, we're putting things into action" but today he got more specific. He all but said he'll match my offer and he said if our contract goes south he will basically hook us up with either another spot in our company or with another company. Just words but he's never actually mislead me before.

Meanwhile the offer I have, had to interview with the prime contractor the other day. I don't think it went too well, a lot of questions I didn't really know the answer to although I was clear about only having 2 years experience with hbss. Plus it would be exclusively hbss, which the sub who recruited me said it wouldnt, so I don't like that. A lot to think about.

Vinen

God is dead
So, in a twist, my boss is making a play to keep me. Before it was just "hey guys trust me, have faith, we're putting things into action" but today he got more specific. He all but said he'll match my offer and he said if our contract goes south he will basically hook us up with either another spot in our company or with another company. Just words but he's never actually mislead me before.

Meanwhile the offer I have, had to interview with the prime contractor the other day. I don't think it went too well, a lot of questions I didn't really know the answer to although I was clear about only having 2 years experience with hbss. Plus it would be exclusively hbss, which the sub who recruited me said it wouldnt, so I don't like that. A lot to think about.
Continue looking. Your boss cannot hook you up with that. His bonus is based on you staying until the layoff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The money he can. The job, idk. He's already having us meet with our company's CISO this week for lunch to talk about what we do and this new project they are building out, and another c level at a different company I don't want to name next week to discuss taking over their vulnerability management program. But yeah, I get that he has an agenda outside of that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The money he can. The job, idk. He's already having us meet with our company's CISO this week for lunch to talk about what we do and this new project they are building out, and another c level at a different company I don't want to name next week to discuss taking over their vulnerability management program. But yeah, I get that he has an agenda outside of that.
I'm perhaps less pessimistic than Vinen, but I'll just point out that until you have anything in writing operate under the assumption it will not occur.