What do you do?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm perhaps less pessimistic than Vinen, but I'll just point out that until you have anything in writing operate under the assumption it will not occur.
Yeah that's the unfortunate thing, I don't think they could give me anything in writing even if they wanted to. So it's a gamble.

I'm leaning towards staying now. The more I think about the other job, there was a lot of talk about engineering opportunities etc but it sounds like HBSS administration. I can at least leverage the offer into a raise, which I've earned anyway, I have kicked ass over the past 2 years and basically do the work of 2-3 positions. Meeting with my CISO tomorrow and I will decide after that meeting for sure.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's the unfortunate thing, I don't think they could give me anything in writing even if they wanted to. So it's a gamble.

I'm leaning towards staying now. The more I think about the other job, there was a lot of talk about engineering opportunities etc but it sounds like HBSS administration. I can at least leverage the offer into a raise, which I've earned anyway, I have kicked ass over the past 2 years and basically do the work of 2-3 positions. Meeting with my CISO tomorrow and I will decide after that meeting for sure.
Even if they did give you something in writing it basically means jack shit, they can rescind those future offers of employment and the only damages you'd have would be lost wages while you looked for another job, which would be minimal lets say you're out of work 2 months, it'd be what 15-20k? Not worth suing over. You have to go with your gut on these things.

Vinen

God is dead
Even if they did give you something in writing it basically means jack shit, they can rescind those future offers of employment and the only damages you'd have would be lost wages while you looked for another job, which would be minimal lets say you're out of work 2 months, it'd be what 15-20k? Not worth suing over. You have to go with your gut on these things.
This.

My gutt is that Government Contractors are shit to work and equate to career death.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That's all the work up here! There are some private companies, but none of them pay what the contractors pay. Dat clearance.

Vinen

God is dead
That's all the work up here! There are some private companies, but none of them pay what the contractors pay. Dat clearance.
Thats the shocking part. Where I am the contractors are the low-pay. I threw away my clearance when I got married.

Then again companies are me are in direct competition with Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon for talent. The government contractors in MA get the rejects.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the benchmark for determining what you should be paid if you decide to try contracting? Like, I make XXk dollars per year, so my hourly contracting rate should be based on that somehow? Or is something completely different?

Vinen

God is dead
What's the benchmark for determining what you should be paid if you decide to try contracting? Like, I make XXk dollars per year, so my hourly contracting rate should be based on that somehow? Or is something completely different?
From this articlehttp://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...ontractor.aspx
Herigstad says the tax responsibilities are a main reason for a contractor to get more pay than an employee -- typically 25% to 30% more.
Keep in mind that you will need to pay for your Health Insurance as well. So if your SO doesn't have insurance which can be switched to include the spouse/partner it is another consideration.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Thats the shocking part. Where I am the contractors are the low-pay. I threw away my clearance when I got married.

Then again companies are me are in direct competition with Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon for talent. The government contractors in MA get the rejects.
I plan to get there,actually. I hate working for the govt and I want to get into the private sector but I always feel like I have more to do. Like first it was finish my BS, now my MS, next will be get skills with nunchucks or whatever.

Vinen

God is dead
I plan to get there,actually. I hate working for the govt and I want to get into the private sector but I always feel like I have more to do. Like first it was finish my BS, now my MS, next will be get skills with nunchucks or whatever.
What the fuck do you need your MS for? MS is usually for Contractors so they can bill more even if the person sucks ass.
The only people I see in the Private Sector with a MS got it before entering the workforce. And usually it was from a high-tier school (See: Stanford, MIT, RIT, WPI, Carnige, etc...)

I did an internship at a defense contractor and it drained my soul away. Not because I was working on weapons but because the process made me want to hang myself. I ended up working for a few start-ups, followed by a relapse at a Defense Contractor (peer pressure!!!!, not kidding) before I entered the private sector again.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Healthcare plus the approx 7.5% you'll pay in self employment tax.

Also depends on if you would be working 100% of the time. I upped it quite a bit because I had to figure in downtime, hustling to pick up work and other such stuff.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
What the fuck do you need your MS for? MS is usually for Contractors so they can bill more even if the person sucks ass.
The only people I see in the Private Sector with a MS got it before entering the workforce. And usually it was from a high-tier school (See: Stanford, MIT, RIT, WPI, Carnige, etc...)

I did an internship at a defense contractor and it drained my soul away. Not because I was working on weapons but because the process made me want to hang myself. I ended up working for a few start-ups, followed by a relapse at a Defense Contractor (peer pressure!!!!, not kidding) before I entered the private sector again.
I honestly don't even know. I am staying up late learning about defense acquisitions and systems engineering (which is actually cool, but still) and I have no idea why I am doing it other than I started it and it will be done in December.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Start the new job in a week. Marketing and sales manager position. No more heavy lean new business development. Should be a good job. I'm going to working for a very established company. Hopefully will finally have stability.

4th job in 3 years.

Worked one 9 years. Then 1 year then 8 months.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
I work in China, at Tencent. I'm the Community Manager for our Global Publishing Center.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I landed a position as a System Admin intern. Should lead to a full time gig in a few months. Definitely room for growth. I'm excited.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I landed a position as a System Admin intern. Should lead to a full time gig in a few months. Definitely room for growth. I'm excited.
Uhhh... dude. Please tell me this isn't some shitty company. There are a ton that hire this way and wring you out to dry in 6 months.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
It's with Scientific Technologies Corporation. They do health informatics. They have their own separate help desk to service their clients that license their software, their own development teams, then a separate but small IT department that keeps all the computers and network/servers running. I'll be the 3rd guy in the IT department. They don't expect me to know everything, will help me grow my skill set and in a few months remove the intern tag. M-F 8-5 no call or anything. That sound bad?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's with Scientific Technologies Corporation. They do health informatics. They have their own separate help desk to service their clients that license their software, their own development teams, then a separate but small IT department that keeps all the computers and network/servers running. I'll be the 3rd guy in the IT department. They don't expect me to know everything, will help me grow my skill set and in a few months remove the intern tag. M-F 8-5 no call or anything. That sound bad?
I don't know man, you're the one who met them in the interview process so I assume you took the job because you felt they were on the up and up.

I'd just be skeptical of an internship to hire thing. Did they even talk about the 'after internship' part or was it just "yea eventually, don't worry!"

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah they brought it up. They want to keep expanding. They've been growing over the last year or two and have hired about 100 new employees. Seemed legit and all the people were super friendly. Even the HR director was pretty cool. She talked a lot about their work place culture and employee satisfaction being a key component.

Worse case scenario, it sucks but now I have some IT experience to throw on a resume. I still have my healthcare job, just dropping down to part time. So I'll be at this place Mon-Thursday and my other job Fri/Sat. It sucks working so much but I get an IT job with no loss in salary this way.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah they brought it up. They want to keep expanding. They've been growing over the last year or two and have hired about 100 new employees. Seemed legit and all the people were super friendly. Even the HR director was pretty cool. She talked a lot about their work place culture and employee satisfaction being a key component.

Worse case scenario, it sucks but now I have some IT experience to throw on a resume. I still have my healthcare job, just dropping down to part time. So I'll be at this place Mon-Thursday and my other job Fri/Sat. It sucks working so much but I get an IT job with no loss in salary this way.
Ah OK that sounds more reasonable, didn't realize you were keeping on at the medical job.