What do you do?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Oh I already learned C# I just haven't done much with it.

And I'm functional with python, but since I have no formal training my code looks like a guy proficient in C trying to write python
So, in other words you're probably better than 75% of people claiming to know python or C#?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, in other words you're probably better than 75% of people claiming to know python or C#?
Probably - They aren't even on my resume though. I am no fool. I got called out for assembly being on my resume and thank god I was able to walk through assembly code with the interviewer.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Noodle you'll reset back to ~60k, but you can get a high junior position with your knowledge

Learn client side frameworks, React JS, C# and SQL and youll jump to seven figures in 3 years.

Vinen

God is dead
Reset back to 60k?i made that as an intern almost
No kidding. I'd just do a small personal project to figure out the syntax and you should be fine to interview for the same level or higher than your current job. Hardware programming is 100x harder then application development.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This actually brings up a relevant question.

Does your wife's parents freak out when you spend money? My wifes parents cannot comprehend our income (They couldn't even comprehend Noodles income). They lived through the cultural revolution etc (sent to border of Russia to farm).

Taking them out to a $10-15 a plate restaurant is an ordeal.
Funny side note. My wifes mom also lived through the cultural revolution. She's pretty blown away when she's here, our house being bigger than her entire apartment building when she grew up. However, many of her roots are still here: She gardens in the back yard, and we grow a ton of food based on mini-gardens she's set up throughout our back yard. It's kinda weird, but it's nice at the same time never having to buy peaches, garlic, potatoes, tomatos, etc. My wife insists on giving her mom money too, which doesn't bother me. My wife makes well over 100k a year, so even when her mom is in China we can completely support her on less than 10k a year (although that is rapidly becoming not the case).

Vinen

God is dead
Funny side note. My wifes mom also lived through the cultural revolution. She's pretty blown away when she's here, our house being bigger than her entire apartment building when she grew up. However, many of her roots are still here: She gardens in the back yard, and we grow a ton of food based on mini-gardens she's set up throughout our back yard. It's kinda weird, but it's nice at the same time never having to buy peaches, garlic, potatoes, tomatos, etc. My wife insists on giving her mom money too, which doesn't bother me. My wife makes well over 100k a year, so even when her mom is in China we can completely support her on less than 10k a year (although that is rapidly becoming not the case).
My father-in law did gardening before he was diagnosed with cancer (hes a cancer survivor now!... 9 months of treatment up here in Boston). He has some crazy system setup at his house in Alabama (her parents came here to do medical research at UAB).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea, I definitely need to know how hardware works. I can see why anyone hiring a software developer would give a shit about if a guy knows how to build a circuit board.

You know why software developers even with PhDs don't know much about hardware? Because they don't need to. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

"When I'm looking to hire someone to clean my house it counts for a lot more if they also know how to kinda fix my plumbing."

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know how hardware works at such an intimate level that all the magic of computers is gone. Childhood dreams crushed.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I must be lost, but I don't see how a bios writer, that has no knowledge of SQL, client side frameworks, api integrations, http knowledge, WCF knowledge, translates to more than 60 k in salary.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I must be lost, but I don't see how a bios writer, that has no knowledge of SQL, client side frameworks, api integrations, http knowledge, WCF knowledge, translates to more than 60 k in salary.
A smart guy can learn that stuff on the fly so fast it'd make "experienced" developers blush. None of that shit is "hard".

So, Noodle might be fucked. But a smart guy would be ok!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Noodle is not fucked, If he wants to switch he has to start learning his deficiencies. What type of development are you looking to do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodle is not fucked, If he wants to switch he has to start learning his deficiencies. What type of development are you looking to do?
I don't know yet - in fact, I'm not sure I want to switch yet or not which is the problem. It's tough to feel good about what I'm doing here, that's all I know. I might even re-apply to my old company in the future - that place felt good to work at.

I'm looking at places like Google and Facebook developing their own hardware, so maybe that's worth a look.

I'm too much of a hardware guy at heart to really think about all the options out there that aren't in hardware.

Khane

Analogy is terrible.

It matters because knowledge of hardware allows you to be more efficient in every facet of software development.

A more appropriate analogy is a construction worker, yeah you don't *need* to know shit about wood and concrete to competently lay a foundation and frame a house, but if you do, it allows you to be better at it, as well as offers the *potential* to realize new efficiencies or build larger or different structures than someone without that knowledge.

Software development doesn't happen in a vacuum, you write software...for hardware.

I'm sorry that that makes some people self conscious, but people with hardware experience are better.
Haha, OK dude. I do not write software for hardware. In fact, 99% of software development jobs and projects don't take hardware into account at all because they are written to be hardware and even OS agnostic to an extent. They are written for people to use on most any computer and no knowledge of hardware is needed, this isn't 1990. You're completely delusional and the more you speak about things in this and the Comp Sci thread the more full of shit you sound.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Software development doesn't happen in a vacuum, you write software...for hardware.
Lol... you write software for a layer of the OS, not to the hardware. If you know the difference then go back to school.

The only ones who write software to the hardware are "drivers developers" which is what Noodle is doing right now" .

"You write software to the hardware".. that is one outdated statement.

Creating drivers is such a small segment of the market ..

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
None of that changes my argument, just because you write shit software for shit people, does not change that a person with a broader experience in the field is more desirable overall.

If a person has 5yrs hardware/5yrs software and one had 10yrs software, the first is the more desirable candidate.

If you disagree with that, frankly you're an idiot.
Noddle, the case in point has zero software years, and 3 hardware years... will you hire him at 90k?

Take your strawmen somewhere else.

Khane

None of that changes my argument, just because you write shit software for shit people, does not change that a person with a broader experience in the field is more desirable overall.

If a person has 5yrs hardware/5yrs software and one had 10yrs software, the first is the more desirable candidate.

If you disagree with that, frankly you're an idiot.
The only idiot here is you. You must be a world class bullshitter if what you claim about your current position is true.