What do you do?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Where do you work?
All over Alberta mainly, work other provinces for contracts from time to time if the money worth it. Lived and worked pretty much every province and territory in Canada, except PEI and Newfoundland. Oh Quebec, fuck that shithole. I'll be honest, I've never left Canada, never had the urge yet.

What do you do?
Dual trade Tin Basher/Insulator. I do enviromental/restoration work as well, and do renos on my own on a casual basis, ie when work slow/I have time.

What field/industry? Construction/Deconstruction I guess?

Wages? Varies, Up until last year probaly 70-100kish due to my own reno/resto work on the side. Not so well this year so far, only a couple months HVAC this year at new Oilers arena, only had a couple basic frame/drywall/paint basement suites that I did on my own, not really big money. Gonna finish off the year doing enviro/resto, got 3 months in Grande Prairie starting next week, and likely some Ft. McMurray after that. Still comfortable, I didn't blow my money on stupid shit during the boom years like most of the fucktards running out of EI and begging for welfare now.

Bonuses?
When SM, PM or foreman, which is often, get bonuses for completing ahead of schedule, and keeping under budget. Varies.
Largest bonus I got was 2 years ago when I had an A-team and we finished 3 weeks ahead, and under material/equipment budget by around 30k. Probaly saved another 30-40k in labour alone. 15k bonus for me, but I spent about 6k of that renting a house for weekend down Crowsnest Pass for the crew for quadding, drinking, and general fuckery. I always share that shit with a good crew, and it always pays off. Happy loyal workers will bring extra productivity, and tend to give a shit about their job. I'm the type of foreman that bleeds, sweats, and gets dirty right along with my guys too, after my safety and misc paperwork done (which most is done before, I usually come in an hour or so early) and occasionly ive played meet and greet with the various bigwigs that show up. It's fact I've seen in action, used myself, real leaders lead the charge, and those that follow will work harder, have better morale, and tend to form up into a tight efficient unit.

Benefits?
Standard union shit I guess, I always pay my dues to both unions, get retirement stuff, legal help, ect ect. I dunno my wife the smart one on all that. I really haven't used the medical benefits yet honestly. For the enviro/resto company they match RRSP payments I make. There's constant talk of profit sharing in the future, I get some kind of copay medical/dental/prescription coverage, think its like 80% or some shit, again wife has the smarts/gives a shit about all that. Not sure how that works with the union benefits.

How long have you been there?
Working construction 20+ years. I maintain good relations for most companies/clients I've worked with over the years. I've had clients from years ago contact me to see if I'm available still. I never burn bridges unless someone attempts to rip me off. My dual trades? 7 years with unions, generally they dispatch me to various companies/projects. Enviro/resto probably 9 years total, current company part of the year past 3 years I guess. Personal projects? Thousands over past 20 years.

I'm a workaholic to be honest, I love keeping busy, I get sketchy and pissy when work is slow. I've never been on EI, never did the welfare thing, and I don't get metis/first nations benefits of any kind, except the occasional racism ( which I don't care about, that shit funny) even though I could probaly get all that if I bothered.

Nah, I take pride that I earned every penny on my own since I got out of juvie at 16, no family, no safety net, not a dime. Said fuck it, and scraped through shit until I had more experience, said fuck school for another 3-6 years, fuck student loan debt for next 10-20 years, and freedom that I'm not locked into one place, same job,same daily routine, blah blah. Love my job(s) I get paid to work out, micromanaging sites or contracts, bringing a plan to successful completion, I get to travel to various places, and I take pride that I have an old school work ethic that is becoming so rare,and, highly valued. I don't come home stressed, since between the work, and frequent, part of my job, bitching people out, I come home calm, generally cook dinner (I'm the only real cook lol) have quality time with the missus. Not rich, don't have everything, but I am content. I started with fuck all, no help up, figured shit out on my own, and here, I am. I got anxiety issues, depression, and PTSD from a entire childhood of abusive foster homes. Guess what, I deal with it responsibly. I have a therapist, I take some medication, I have other coping tricks. Work is a huge help as well. I came to the simple conclusion, fix/mitigate yourself, or you might as well end it, because wishing, praying, hoping, fantasizing is as useful and productive as tying a cinder block to your neck and leap off a bridge. I don't let bad shit from the past fuck my present/future.

Current generation, even some of my own, makes me sick, fuckin work for it, stop expecting handouts. Shitty life so far? Fucking do something about it, you are responsible for yourself, These new age millienials sure give me some entertainment when they appear on my sites though. I either turn them into decent workers, or they driven off back to working Starbucks or some shit.

Funny thing about that, is last year I had 27 harrassment/abusive type complaints against me (hurt feelings reports I call them), and I shit you not, a sexual harassment complaint (it was some 19 year old Bieber clone) Basically gave him shit for smoking and texting for 20 min in the portapotty(this was 5-6 times a day ffs), and get his skinny ass back to work, or go home for rest of week. Claimed I was peeking at him in there, and making inappropriate comments about his ass. No dumbass, I can see the smoke coming out of the top of the shitter lol, and too clueless to mute his phone. Faggots need to grow a thicker skin, its construction, not daycare.

Nothing came from any of it, except many lulz. When you earn the respect of your crews, they tend to speak up for ya, and hell make your job easier too, cause they help whip the useless into shape, or drive them off site.

Whew long post, apologies for the TLDR crew. Heading away for a month straight for work Friday, so had a nice little party last night, 5 of us put away 8 cases of beer, couple bottles of rye and red bull, and someone decided to bring a good ounce or so of some fine coke lol. It's the first time I've done blow in over a year, still flying like a hummingbird, probably won't sleep for the entire day hah.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Not too bad, they're in Chantilly. My current position, if i take the offer they have out, is moving to Bethesda. Which, gross. I have an interview tomorrow at Commerce/NOAA which sounds promising. Except that it's in DC.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Posted in the other thread but I'll be accepting the job offer from Rayhteon. 6% pay increase, commute reduced from 4+ hours daily to 40 minutes daily, better benefits, etc. Pretty pumped

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not too bad, they're in Chantilly. My current position, if u take the offer they have out, is moving to Bethesda. Which, gross. I have an interview tomorrow at Commerce/NOAA which sounds promising. Except that it's in DC.
I guess it is against the traffic. Those blue buildings just look gross. Bethesda would be terrible.

DC would be bad because of shitro. If there is a busline near you that runs into the city that isn't bad, or if you get parking reimbursed.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Where do you work? EMC

What do you do?
Solutions Architect

What field/industry?
Converged Infrastructure Managed Services

Wages?
$130k

Bonuses/SEP?
$15k~

Benefits?
6% 401k match, good ins, unlimited time off, WFH whenever

2 1/2 years

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Got pinged for a job in the Bay area that I would love to take, but I'm honestly intimidated by. Gonna follow up, but I'm not certain that I've got the time in industry yet to be the right candidate. Pretty much my dream position though, setting aside the relocation to Cali.

taebin

I'm actually out of Dallas Noodle. Was part of VCE until EMC purchased Virtustream and combined VCE's Cloud Managed Services, EMC's Managed Services, Rubicon, vCloud Air, and Virtustream into one Managed Services group. Now it's just Virtustream, federated company under EMC.

Haka

N00b
Where do you work? Nowhere

What do you do? Student - Mining Engineering

What field/industry?
Mining

Wages?
negative thousands of dollars. But out of school I'm convinced I'll start around $70k

Bonuses/SEP?
Monthly bus pass, unlimited on-campus gym!

Benefits?
20 something co-eds that I don't talk to because they make me feel old

2 years (+ 4 years of a very useful BA of History)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm actually out of Dallas Noodle. Was part of VCE until EMC purchased Virtustream and combined VCE's Cloud Managed Services, EMC's Managed Services, Rubicon, vCloud Air, and Virtustream into one Managed Services group. Now it's just Virtustream, federated company under EMC.
I know you can't talk too much about it but how comfortable are you feeling with the Dell buyout? Especially being in Dallas.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Where do you work? Small/medium sized mechanical construction company. We do the plumbing, and sub out HVAC, sprinkler, insulation, controls etc

What do you do? Everything that needs being done. Primarily I handle the day to day administration, and oversee estimating and design. My bro looks after the actual job sites, but is also heavily involved in estimating.

What field/industry?
See above. We mostly do apartments, condos, hotels, and a smattering of base building commercial work. No single family residential or service/maintenance, and no large industrial/institutional type work. Most mechanical contractors here tend to segregate in to one of those three categories.

Wages?
My bro and I pay ourselves a base salary of around 110k a year. Obviously as the company makes money, we bonus or dividend cash out as advised by our external accountants.

Bonuses/SEP?
See above.

Benefits?
The basic stuff, same as everyone else that works for us gets. It's nice having access to trucks etc. for doing shit on the weekends. We also have a private garage at our office we store cars, motorcycles and other shit in. Which is nice as I live in a condo with minimal storage. We also have golf memberships that are paid through the company. At least until we get audited. Oh and we pay all of our wholesale bills on a Visa that gives us travel rewards points. I think we've presently got about 50k worth of free flights/hotel/car stored up. My sister in law is doing her best to spend all of it ASAP, but even she can't keep up.

It's a family business, so basically since I was in the womb. I've been working in the office for 15 years, but prior to that going back to being a kid I used to put away stock orders, wash trucks, and when I was old enough started working on sites during summer breaks from school. My bro and I have essentially been running the company for 10 years now. Our dad officially retired about 7 years ago now, but for the few years prior to that he was mostly just getting in the way. He still pops by and asks what's up these days, but it was actually a fairly smooth transition once he decided to GTFO after he and I had a big argument over stupid shit. Thankfully no one holds grudges in our family. Nor should he, as I can draw a straight line between my last purchase of shares from him and his F430 and Carrera GT. Things worked out quite well for him, he got a very good price for his shares in the company. It's going to be a lot more difficult for my bro and I to properly turn the company over to the next generation over the next 10 years or so, as there is no next generation of actual family. We're setting up to transition to at least a partially employee owned company, but there's lots of pitfalls there to navigate. Plumbers typically do not make great business people/owners, but we do have some really good guys coming up, so hopefully we can make it work. I'm only 35, but I'm getting fairly burnt out, as is my bro. I don't think either of us wants to be doing this 50-60 hours a week for much longer.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Where do you work? Nowhere

What do you do? Student - Mining Engineering

What field/industry?
Mining

Wages?
negative thousands of dollars. But out of school I'm convinced I'll start around $70k

Bonuses/SEP?
Monthly bus pass, unlimited on-campus gym!

Benefits?
20 something co-eds that I don't talk to because they make me feel old

2 years (+ 4 years of a very useful BA of History)
You in China?

taebin

I know you can't talk too much about it but how comfortable are you feeling with the Dell buyout? Especially being in Dallas.

I'm not too worried. We're one of the few groups making money, so all reports so far have been Dell leaving us alone and continue to do our thing. Guess we'll see.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Got pinged for a job in the Bay area that I would love to take, but I'm honestly intimidated by. Gonna follow up, but I'm not certain that I've got the time in industry yet to be the right candidate. Pretty much my dream position though, setting aside the relocation to Cali.

Make the jump imo. You will rise to the occasion, then you will be on that next level. That's how people get there, they take a chance.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, I'll bite...

Where do you work? Can't say the name of the company because of the nature of my work.

What do you do? IT Security Solutions Architect, (When hackers shoot some kid in the back seat of your data center, I'm the Wolf you call in who tells you how to clean up the blood, dispose of the bodies discreetly, and comment on the coffee.) Although my CEO recently OK'd me using the title "Eye Candy"

What field/industry? IT Network Security

Wages? Base north of 150k a year,...

Bonuses/SEP? Bonuses that can add around 35-40% to my base

Benefits? 401k , insurance, the usual, plus I get to work from home, do what I love doing, and have a dashing goatee and pony tail combo.

How long have you been there? This gig? Around a year. Doing this same job? Around 5 years. Working with network security? Around 17 years.