What do you do?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If there's nothing you can do, then it is what it is. But I don't see how you expect to be happy anywhere if you aren't willing to put in effort to change the bad shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
yeah im not going to argue the points i made anymore

should I ask my boss if he'll suck me off every morning?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The main complaint I always had was it was just me working on the codebase, something EMC had 12 people working on - this will never get fixed, they won't hire anyone

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, but like I said, if it is something you just can't change then whatever, eyes forward. But solving problems is ultimately what we do. You're of little value, to the team or the company, if you aren't at least willing to give it a shot.

I meant he figurative "you", not you. Your situation sounds like you got put in a shit spot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's been a long day of BS at work

I was sold this job as me and at least another guy doing it - as soon as I was hired he did other stuff. If I actually enjoyed working there maybe I'd talk to my boss about moving around, but I don't. I shouldn't have left my first job.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Ive only ever left one job (at least in what I'd consider my professional career) because I flat out didn't like it. The rest of the time I had ulterior motives such as big pay increases or to move to a new area.

I've also spent there bulk of my career in some form of government, so the ability to affect any kind of meaningful change is usually slim.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
General question:

Is it ever smart to take an increase in responsibility + work for no increase in pay and no other added benefits or opportunities?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
General question:

Is it ever smart to take an increase in responsibility + work for no increase in pay and no other added benefits or opportunities?

If it plays into your future goals - I.e. you see the added responsibility leading to a future position with better job satisfaction and/or pay and benefits. I wouldn't do it without some sort of short term strategy though, unless you think it will make you happier. Happiness really factors in for me a lot more than it used to at this point in my career.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Offer is signed and out - I'll be getting my drug test info and start date soon. Not looking forward to talking to my boss but I'm just gonna tell him I got an offer that I couldn't refuse

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Offer is signed and out - I'll be getting my drug test info and start date soon. Not looking forward to talking to my boss but I'm just gonna tell him I got an offer that I couldn't refuse

Offer him a hug. A big one. It'll be a special moment either way.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What are the new jobs deets, man
Defense contractor, which means a solid 2hrs a work a day while the goverment is billed $170 by his company. He's also retroactively responsible for everything that has plagued the zumwalt destroyer. Have fun getting ass raped by McCain noodle.

Last edited:

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
General question:

Job's have a tendency to increase in scope and function the longer you are with a company. I was hired as a network/server administrator and now i spend my days trying to keep a 20 year old 700mhz radio system up and 15 year old SCADA equipment working. Did I know anything about this stuff ? NOPE. To this day I do not know how Radios work. I assume magnets. It just drifted to my line of work. If someone formally asked me to take this responsibility over I would be fucking 100% sure to get a raise out of it. However, I had to wait until evaluation to get my extra pennies. Companies do not give a flying fuck about you, never do them a "solid". Your work demands compensation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I don't know if that's what I'll be working on, although chances are fairly high since that's their big project.