What do you do?

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Which org are you in? Sales? Professional Services?
Solutions Architect has turned into such an overloaded title in this day and age.

Managed services. After purchase/lease of vBlock/VxRail/VxRack, additional contract signed for either AMP management, tenant deploy, or manage and deploy.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
I work for EMC too, I do almost the same thing as Taebin. Been here over 5 years, burnt out out as hell. I've had 2 other job offers in the last month, but the other companies seem like even bigger cluster fucks so I'll keep looking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Job's have a tendency to increase in scope and function the longer you are with a company. I was hired as a network/server administrator and now i spend my days trying to keep a 20 year old 700mhz radio system up and 15 year old SCADA equipment working. Did I know anything about this stuff ? NOPE. To this day I do not know how Radios work. I assume magnets. It just drifted to my line of work. If someone formally asked me to take this responsibility over I would be fucking 100% sure to get a raise out of it. However, I had to wait until evaluation to get my extra pennies. Companies do not give a flying fuck about you, never do them a "solid". Your work demands compensation.

A million fucking times this. I was hired on as a level 1 tech, they asked me to take on the responsibilities of a level 2 full time a month after I got there (which includes a ton more travel, etc), and they'd be down to make it official at the end of the year. Well, now I've been working as a level 2 tech for 5 months, and I'm still fucking 4 months from seeing any kinda pay/title bump, and have a feeling it wont be near what the fuck I would have gotten had I forced it when they asked.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I am casually looking. The market in Dallas is amazing, but I dont really have it in me to look to hard right now--I'm 6 months out of a 6 month unemployment..

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've only been here 9 months and I didn't want to look already either, but I'm glad I did.

It sounds like you're underpaid and pretty unhappy there - it can't hurt to look. Also the best time to job seek is when you're employed - there's no stress of needing to find a job, you never have to say yes to any offers, and also it looks better to potential employers if you're not unemployed.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Lesson: don't go to work for big companies unless you're high up and can make decisions. Being a cog sucks.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
^ For sure. And, you generally have to be way, way up in the chain to be able to make any sort of real decision. My place is full of mid-tier managers making 140k whose only real job function is to echo the sentiments of the directors.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I've only been here 9 months and I didn't want to look already either, but I'm glad I did.

It sounds like you're underpaid and pretty unhappy there - it can't hurt to look. Also the best time to job seek is when you're employed - there's no stress of needing to find a job, you never have to say yes to any offers, and also it looks better to potential employers if you're not unemployed.

Won't the fact that I'm looking after 6 months be a negative to me?

Also, I drove by the Dallas Raytheon building today cause I screwed up my route to work. ..God that place looks like a DoD contractor building from the outside

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Also, I drove by the Dallas Raytheon building today cause I screwed up my route to work. ..God that place looks like a DoD contractor building from the outside

The one on Lemmon with the bigass fence and its set back like 50ft from the road? Looks like a prison.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A million fucking times this. I was hired on as a level 1 tech, they asked me to take on the responsibilities of a level 2 full time a month after I got there (which includes a ton more travel, etc), and they'd be down to make it official at the end of the year. Well, now I've been working as a level 2 tech for 5 months, and I'm still fucking 4 months from seeing any kinda pay/title bump, and have a feeling it wont be near what the fuck I would have gotten had I forced it when they asked.
Okay, this is basically the situation they want me to get in. I'm a year on the job, I've already being doing the work of a level 2 tech for level 1 pay for the past 6 months, and now they're going to want me to take on a bunch of administrative responsibilities on top of that, for still no increase from my starting pay, which is tied for lowest on the entire team. I won't get a pay increase until December, and they can't make any promises as to what it will be. It could be as little as 2%.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Okay, this is basically the situation they want me to get in. I'm a year on the job, I've already being doing the work of a level 2 tech for level 1 pay for the past 6 months, and now they're going to want me to take on a bunch of administrative responsibilities on top of that, for still no increase in pay. I won't get a pay increase until December, and they can't make any promises as to what it will be. It could be as little as 2%.
Well given your situation I think your best course of action is to kill your mother, not ask for a raise

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

I don't think so as long as you have a good reason

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Okay, this is basically the situation they want me to get in. I'm a year on the job, I've already being doing the work of a level 2 tech for level 1 pay for the past 6 months, and now they're going to want me to take on a bunch of administrative responsibilities on top of that, for still no increase from my starting pay, which is tied for lowest on the entire team. I won't get a pay increase until December, and they can't make any promises as to what it will be. It could be as little as 2%.

Sounds like you negotiate like you have no balls.

• 1Solidarity

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My reason would be "I'm sick of taking it up the ass on pay making entry level money at nearly a decade of experience."...I doubt an employer would look kindly on that one.
So lie.

Looking for something new.
Last company wasn't a good fit.
Your company and/or position looked interesting.

Basically, don't denigrate your previous/current employer beyond reason while also using that as opportunity to express interest in the one you're interviewing for.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just tell them it isn't a good fit for you and you're looking for a company that will allow you to grow. That's what I said

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
Big W, I had the exact same problem last TWO employers I've been with. Promoted me really fast, and never paid me anymore. I'd find a new job, then before putting in my two weeks notice ask for a big raise. If they say no, slap down the notice.
Now with EMC I have a similar problem , I'll be hired on for a basic migration or support of a specific system then get asked to do the job of a million dollar professional services engagement. Sales always gives in since its money in their pockets.