What do you do?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Think of it this way powah. Like you and I we take jobs based on work and pay that we are okay with. Companies put out wages based on market value and hopefully slightly higher to attract good employee. For us employees asking raise is a big deal because it means our reputation and our pride is on the line. Not many employees ask raise every year or even two years. For the employer, they do get asked every year. Every month. Every week. They deal with it everyday. They know how to manage your expectations and your place. They are experts at pushing away raises if they can.

When you get desperate at the end, they low ball you and you are omfg happy because you got something out of it when you could have gotten a double.

So I messed up by allowing the timeframe he asked for?

I've never done this shit before--I'm confused as fuck.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
If your boss isn't stupid he already knows you're looking for a new job.

You're making one giant fucking assumption, Noodle. That my boss has aptitude at being a manager. He's a Tech that got put into management to justify a salary increase and because the proper candidate was too valuable to move out of his current role.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here's th e big test for the boss and one youll get an answer to really late. When you get a job offer and say you're leaving, watch how fast he will offer you more money. For my last job it was immediate. For Emc it was by the end of the day.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
And when that happens, do not take that money. Go to your new job.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Here's th e big test for the boss and one youll get an answer to really late. When you get a job offer and say you're leaving, watch how fast he will offer you more money. For my last job it was immediate. For Emc it was by the end of the day.

Right now we're a 2 person+manager department doing the job of 4+ techs (plus manager). And the other guy isn't even supposed to be doing ticket/customer support work, he's supposed to be managing the internal customer-facing servers.

If I walked today it would absolutely cripple the department--We're already drowning, you cut me out today? The shit sinks fast.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
instead of selling your contribution, you should focus on your loyalty and dedication. your future plans with the company, your co-workers, etc. put out specific amount of raise you deserve. if they don;t respect that, well, job shopping,

edit: edited for more shit.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
instead of selling your contribution, you should focus on your loyalty and dedication. if they don;t respect that, well, job shopping,

Loyalty and dedication, like travelling 4x, at least, more than advertised? 50+ hour weeks? Multiple Saturdays/Post Midnights when I work 8-5? Yeah, I probably should.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
instead of selling your contribution, you should focus on your loyalty and dedication. your future plans with the company, your co-workers, etc. put out specific amount of raise you deserve. if they don;t respect that, well, job shopping,

edit: edited for more shit.

I don't know about that. Money talks, showing your value to the company better translate to dollar bills ya'll or it doesn't mean much.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
So I messed up by allowing the timeframe he asked for?

I've never done this shit before--I'm confused as fuck.
i don't think so. if done right, I'd say you and your boss wouldn't even be discussing a timeframe. you'd have an appointment with the upper management and the boss to discuss your raise.

I don't know about that. Money talks, showing your value to the company better translate to dollar bills ya'll or it doesn't mean much.

its a given. If he wasn't worth it, they know it by now and cut him loose or tell him straight we disagree. Question isn't whether he is valuable. The question is will he get a raise and how much.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well we're all valuable, but not all of us command enough value to just walk up to the boss and be like "eh yo, give me a raise" and have him affirm. And a lot of people don't understand how they are valued.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well we're all valuable, but not all of us command enough value to just walk up to the boss and be like "eh yo, give me a raise" and have him affirm. And a lot of people don't understand how they are valued.

And how would one go about fixing that? I would love to be able to objectively measure the raise I just received so I can act on it accordingly(look for new job or not), but I just don't know how to think whether the raise was good enough or not.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My happiness is subjective, so I'm trying to leave that out of the equation. For now at least, not trying to say that shouldn't factor in eventually.

As for your first question, I guess that's what I'm trying to answer.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
My happiness is subjective, so I'm trying to leave that out of the equation. For now at least, not trying to say that shouldn't factor in eventually.

As for your first question, I guess that's what I'm trying to answer.

If you're trying to answer it scientifically; What are you paid compared to market value for the same job functions/experience level?

Not looking for hard numbers, just a question to ask yourself.