What do you do?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So it looks like we're relocating after the holidays, and I'll be starting my new job in early Jan 2017. I had the option of starting just after Thanksgiving, but given the huge relocate plus Christmas around the corner, it seemed easier to just wait a few more weeks. New company was fine with it, and it was their idea.

It leaves me in a strange position, because I know I have about 10 weeks left with my current employer(s) and will need to give notice down the road. I don't want to say anything too early. I have a little over 2 weeks of vacation left I can use in December, and it actually refreshes on Jan 1 if I wanted to be sneaky about it. I could give notice on Jan 1 and take my vacation immediately. That seems sorta shitty though.

What are they gonna do, fire you?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So it looks like we're relocating after the holidays, and I'll be starting my new job in early Jan 2017. I had the option of starting just after Thanksgiving, but given the huge relocate plus Christmas around the corner, it seemed easier to just wait a few more weeks. New company was fine with it, and it was their idea.

It leaves me in a strange position, because I know I have about 10 weeks left with my current employer(s) and will need to give notice down the road. I don't want to say anything too early. I have a little over 2 weeks of vacation left I can use in December, and it actually refreshes on Jan 1 if I wanted to be sneaky about it. I could give notice on Jan 1 and take my vacation immediately. That seems sorta shitty though.
Grats. This one is tricky.... however, the better position you are in the more reasonable you can afford to be in giving notice. From the sounds of it in this thread, you are in an enviable position of having work where you can afford to care about your professional reputation. Perhaps it might be worth reflecting on exercising all the vacation you are due and contemplate the most respectfull and responsable way to give notice as soon as is reasonable (given your work context). It is good NOT to burn bridges, and leave with as few hard feelings as possible, where possible! Life is LONG.... and longer where your reputation matters!

I guess I am trying to suggest looking at it from a contractors perspective. Even though it is a permanent position: you do as good a job and be as respectfull as you can be, because you might very well want to return to the same client again. Often people and staff CHANGE behind the scenes, so them remembering YOU being kind, respectfull, responsable and going out of your way to leave on good terms might be very good for you professionally in the future in unexpected ways (ie you being sought OUT by them and offered a different position at a different client and good terms and benefits).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wouldn't give more than 2 weeks notice, personally. My boss knew I was leaving and I was interviewing before I left but we were on really good terms and had a personal friendship before he transitioned over to being my manager. But I gave my "official" notice 2 weeks ahead of time. IMO if you let them know you're leaving and say "Oh yeah in 10 weeks" they'll just assume you're coasting for 10 weeks or won't give you shit to do. I'd just follow the script standard.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I agree with not giving more than 2 weeks notice. Nothing good is going to happen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I have no intention of it. What I meant was that I have 2.5 weeks of vacation left this year, and it refreshes all at once in January. I could technically take 5 weeks off before quitting. I'd settle for a couple days in Jan though.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I gave 4 weeks notice, but I knew I had that type of relationship with my last employer. They offered to let me take leave too so I could keep my benefits active longer but I declined and just took the payout.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Last job I left I gave 2 weeks. Bods begged me and said the agency I was going to support isn't doing anything...and here I am shitposting like a champ. Guess he was right

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well, Monday starts me officially in my new role. And man, is it going to be a running start from the sounds of things.

I can't say I'm not excited.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
If anyone has any IC work that needs more people let me know. I'm trying to get out of this dreaded state. My focus is cyber security. If you have any questions about clearance we can dance but I'll need to know more info first. My old boss just pushed my info to someone up in Chantilly but I'm open to any options atm.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Getting excited, we have a patent infringement trial coming up that I'm on the team for. I'm secretly hoping the judge doesn't kill their case on summary judgment right before trial so I can go do the trial. Patent trials aren't nearly common enough.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I gave 4 weeks notice, but I knew I had that type of relationship with my last employer. They offered to let me take leave too so I could keep my benefits active longer but I declined and just took the payout.
my boss let me do whatever the fuck I wanted last couple days.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just moved from our Services/Consulting group to a Sales Engineering position. Been wanting this position for a few years now so I'm really excited. One of my new responsibilities that I've never done before is participate in customer conferences. Have my first one on Thursday. I'm assuming it's mostly going to be an excuse to party and eat at dope restaurants on the company's dime.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Getting excited, we have a patent infringement trial coming up that I'm on the team for. I'm secretly hoping the judge doesn't kill their case on summary judgment right before trial so I can go do the trial. Patent trials aren't nearly common enough.
Might I inquire if it is anything juicy? Not asking for details, wondering if it is just because of boredom without any courtroom action or perhaps the case is an interesting one in a technical sense?

Also on a related note thinking of interesting cases, are there any nice journals specifically related to and covering IP related law you might recommend?