What do you do?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In biglaw at least they work like absolute dogs, I'm not sure how it is at smaller places. Takes a good long time, if ever, to make that tasty partner cheddar :p

I work at an AMLAW 50 firm and I'm here shitposting with you folks. So...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You say that like average shitposting takes any time or skill. Let us know when you can derail a thread like woolygimp.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Maybe these late nights make up for the easy schedule otherwise. Another filing due today, another late night. Secretaries got us dinner before they left.

It'd be fun to be able to tell you about these cases but they are instantly recognizable companies.

iannis

Musty Nester
Surely there's no ethical violation in doing it anyway.

As long as you preface the company name with "TOTALLY NOT"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Spent the last month applying to jobs all over the Seattle and Portland area. Didn't get any bites what-so-ever which was pretty humbling, however my old job is about 90% (their words) sure they are going to hire me back. Back to Boeing I go!

One of the techs they retained immediately started looking for a new job and that finally went through, and so they have an opening and my former co-workers put in the good word for me. I'm ok with this as it'll be a new negotiated contract, which from the looks will be about a 25% pay bump, with a few benefits thrown on as well like paid time off.

Hope it works out as I'm looking forward to getting back to work, learning, and finishing off school.

iannis

Musty Nester
Would definitely be unethical
Ooooh. I understand. Yes. You're right of course. That would be a childish and silly sort of stupidity. Obviously illegal, unethical, and probably immoral to boot.

@TOTALLY_NOT_CAD

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Spent the last month applying to jobs all over the Seattle and Portland area. Didn't get any bites what-so-ever which was pretty humbling, however my old job is about 90% (their words) sure they are going to hire me back. Back to Boeing I go!

One of the techs they retained immediately started looking for a new job and that finally went through, and so they have an opening and my former co-workers put in the good word for me. I'm ok with this as it'll be a new negotiated contract, which from the looks will be about a 25% pay bump, with a few benefits thrown on as well like paid time off.

Hope it works out as I'm looking forward to getting back to work, learning, and finishing off school.

How much has Boeing moved out the area? Just curious I remember reading about them moving some of their production to other states. Didn't mention engineering.

Crone

How much has Boeing moved out the area? Just curious I remember reading about them moving some of their production to other states. Didn't mention engineering.
I'm pretty removed from a lot of that being just an IT contract worker, however I feel like they are moving shit to other states constantly. The Renton and Everett plants are still going strong though so the planes are still being made. But there is a metric shit ton of empty office space that isn't being used for anything. Tons of peeps being moved to OK, NC/SC, and even Florida.

Crone

Was called today for my old job back. Comes with 25% bump in pay, and some paid time off that can be used like never, but at least we have it. They apologized for taking so long, and they knew about me a month ago, but just couldn't do anything at the time.

This is great, as I can ride this out for more experience while I finish my degree, and more certifications.

Washing off the stench of unemployment FeelsGoodMan.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why can't you use your paid time off? I never understood people that don't take vacation for fear of "getting behind" or whatever. I take liberal use of vacation. Multiple 7+ day vacations a year. And when I'm on vacation I typically set my OOO reply to be "when I get back into the office I'm deleting everything I received so if this is important, resend it to me on mm/dd". I completely check out.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Unfortunately, in IT, there is some sort of underlying belief structure that you getting a paycheck = your life is forfeit. My last couple of jobs were like that to the point of requesting time off was a big fucking show and if your availability wasn't 99.7% then you were some sort of liability. It's a bunch of horseshit and those places should be avoided and left to drown with MSP's.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Why can't you use your paid time off? I never understood people that don't take vacation for fear of "getting behind" or whatever. I take liberal use of vacation. Multiple 7+ day vacations a year. And when I'm on vacation I typically set my OOO reply to be "when I get back into the office I'm deleting everything I received so if this is important, resend it to me on mm/dd". I completely check out.

I'm quite scared of getting behind if I take vacation. It happens man. I've got so much on my plate I can't fathom taking more than 2-3 days at a time right now.

I wouldn't get denied if I requested it though.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Unfortunately, in IT, there is some sort of underlying belief structure that you getting a paycheck = your life is forfeit. My last couple of jobs were like that to the point of requesting time off was a big fucking show and if your availability wasn't 99.7% then you were some sort of liability. It's a bunch of horseshit and those places should be avoided and left to drown with MSP's.

It's worse in healthcare where they'll give you the vacation and then try and guilt you into coming in during the vacation. "Bob is really sick and you're the only other one that knows how to do X, surely you don't want little Timmy to have cancer and not realize it, do you?"

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

At my job we don't really have a vacation or attendance policy, you go when you can get away with it. We all have projects and deadlines, and if you're not missing deadlines and hitting your hours, they give no fucks when you get here or when you leave.

People who have fixed hours and fixed vacation? You need to be like: Bro I'm going to vacation on such and such dates. Get someone to cover for me.

And unless there's some kind of really good reason tied to you that you can't go those specific dates, you fucking go. And give no shits. And if there is a good reason, go anyway 99% of the time. The bosses will not look at you like "oh he's all in for the company, better pay him extra and promote him!" They'll look at you like, "haha, another sucker we can milk until he crashes."

Seriously. Take your vacation. Walk the fuck out and go play with your kids when you hit quitting time. Their bad planning and understaffing is not your problem.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

I agree with all of you and early next year when my wife has our 3rd child via C-section you best believe I'm taking time off and they can suck it.

I understand that it's not my fault they are understaffed, but I also feel that I get plenty of downtime at work being its a 24/7 environment, so there's bound to be down time. It's one of the reasons I'm so excited is I'll plenty of time to crank out school.

So it all works out. They explained it that there is so much work they don't want people taking days off just to take days off. Lol... Sorry lady, that's not how it works. It also helps my good friend that's in charge of all scheduling for network outages has us employees in mind and not really the company.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My last job was unlimited time off and work whatever hours you wanted as long as work got done. You goddamn better believe I worked from home multiple times a week and took all the time off I wanted. Everyone else worked like dogs.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get 5 weeks vacation and I'm required to take two of those weeks consecutively. I also get locked out of all our systems and my key cards deactivated so I couldn't work even if I wanted to. It's a really nice break.