What do you do?

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
You could also look to move up to the next role. When it comes to Big Data (or anything considered bleeding edge in tech) the competition between companies is extremely aggressive and you can make vertical moves pretty easily if you are willing to bounce around every year or so. I know we just hired a Director in our Information Management group and his specialty is Big Data. His background was SA -> Principal -> Director in the span of about 2.5 years.
The biggest thing holding me back there is my ties to St.Louis, I agree that this would be ideal. But no companies here are hiring Director level jobs in Big Data, and if they are the pay is worse than my SA pay or on par.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lot of good jobs in here. Everyone is so varied!

Currently working in Phoenix AZ, will turn 31 this year and work for a large mutual fund company in their call center. They call it a service center, but forget the names, we are slaves!

But the company is great, and the benefits are killer. Killer enough to make me relocate with the company after they announced our location is closing. Make about 50k a year, after 7 years. Yearly pay increases based on review.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Lot of good jobs in here. Everyone is so varied!

Currently working in Phoenix AZ, will turn 31 this year and work for a large mutual fund company in their call center. They call it a service center, but forget the names, we are slaves!

But the company is great, and the benefits are killer. Killer enough to make me relocate with the company after they announced our location is closing. Make about 50k a year, after 7 years. Yearly pay increases based on review.
I think you're the first person I've ever heard who says he enjoys working in a call center. What, exactly, are so great about the benefits?

Crone

I think you're the first person I've ever heard who says he enjoys working in a call center. What, exactly, are so great about the benefits?
Lol, well I will say things have certainly changed since 2009. Ever since then, they've tried to get more "efficient" and so there have been some changes that are great for the business, but bad for the employee. Big brother'ish type things, more concerned with your day to day activities, no more water cooler conversations, etc.

However, I get 4 weeks of vacation time per year, earned monthly along with 6 something hours of sick time per month. Tracked separately. My own cube, so I'm not sitting elbows to elbows with anyone else. 15% of gross pay into a retirement plan every year, vested after 6 years. Great pay for what I do. Discounts at a ton of companies that the corporation does business with. Cell phones, etc, things like that.

It's probably the most comfy call center job you could think of, and I don't have to sell anything, ever. All I do is provide customer service for peoples accounts.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife worked in a Nestle call center and hated every moment of it, she said once they made all of those 'big brother' changes you mentioned the place just turned to shit.

Crone

My wife worked in a Nestle call center and hated every moment of it, she said once they made all of those 'big brother' changes you mentioned the place just turned to shit.
Things have certainly changed.
wink.png

I have an odd sense of loyalty, because I was hired without any experience or college degree, and pay me good money for what I do I think. Great medical benefits, great retirement benefits, vacation, etc.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Making good money this year, but most of my properties started to slide backwards a bit, so off they went.

I'm going to go full bore into the entrepreneur thing and make two companies in the molds of 38 Studios and Autonomy. I figure if those Pants on Head assholes can make serious bank, so can I.

I'm currently looking for people who are willing to do vast amounts of drugs and spend the day wearing their pants on their heads.

Doubles as an investment company.

Extra bonus for employees who bring in current lotto tickets and any twelvers of beer that isn't Budweiser or Coors Light.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm going to go full bore into the entrepreneur thing and make two companies in the molds of 38 Studios and Autonomy. I figure if those Pants on Head assholes can make serious bank, so can I.
I'm amazed anyone on here knows the name Autonomy. I hate that company so much, unfortunately they're the market leader for Legal DMS software, so I'm stuck with them.

No joke, I had one of their reps cold call me the other day trying to sell me software that we've owned for 3 years. When I mentioned we're a longtime customer he wasn't even apologetic, he just tried to sell me their IUS product.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Citrix does that with me all the time and we've used a number of their products for years. The people who call me have no idea and don't even care, they just try to sell me whatever product they are part of.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah they're terrible as well, especially the last few years it seems like we get a new account rep every 3-4 months who immediately wants to meet with us to sell shit we don't need. They also have the worst product naming in the business, my favorite lately is their 'Worx' stuff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm a test engineer in the MEMS industry. I write test code to make sure produced modules meet customer specifications for performance. I make 72k a year and my best job perk is the out of pocket maximum for any health care costs is $400/year. It might be fair for people to specify where they work, geographically. I live in Ithaca, NY, and I know I'd need bump to almost 110k just to break even in San Diego.
Not anymore! I am now working for a software company that makes a static analysis tool. Basically checks for runtime errors in code. Pretty cool stuff, never heard of it until I applied for the opening. I can give a few examples if people are interested. A departure from my hardware oriented experience, but one that I hope will help my career in the long term. Every time I've had to look for a job, software easily outnumbers hardware by at least 3x. Decided to stay local in Ithaca too. Well, "decided", didn't have any offers from places that would require me to move.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Awesome bro. Losing a job is always scary no matter what you do. Glad you bounced back quick.

mxcmead_sl

shitlord
Allpro sound resi/ commercial tech.

I do A/V for home theaters and commercial systems.
I personally handle all of the IT networking for the equipment.

Starts around $15 an hour with experience
Pensacola, FL

Always looking for people who are willing to travel.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Just got a job as an executive chef at our new restaurant opening in a couple months. It's about an extra 30 minutes on the road and kitchen start ups are always rough but bumped up to about 24 an hour and a 10k bonus once we open. Plus i now have the final say on who I can hire for service or kitchen work.

I still plan on moving out to Hawaii within the next 2 years though. I guess I'll see how that goes.

Gauss_sl

shitlord
Might as well use this thread for job-related bitching. Had performance reviews recently, and the official party line was that people who had been working for < 6 months of the past year aren't eligible for raises. Somehow, I got 2% for "exceeding expectations" in my first few months, but the bonuses are going to be way down this year so I will likely see a pay cut. Talk about demotivating for a new employee.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That sucks, just about everywhere I worked always did pro-rated raises for people who haven't been there the full year. Once we hired a gal who started like 4 days before the review date deadline, so company policy dictated that I had to give her a review. I did a review on her. Her pro-rated raise came out to roughly .5 cents per hour raise. Yes, not even 1 full cent per hour. lol. FWIW, we had to round it up to 1 cent, since our payroll computer system at the time couldn't deal with fractions of cents per hour, everything had to be rounded to a whole cent.

lindz

#DDs
When you are hired with less than a 6 months to the annual review time, the "raise" is typically negotiated in with your initial wage. It will account for inflation.

I'm not sure how your company does it of course, but for a lot of companies, you don't typically just skip those pay increases, you will get inflation included in your initial wage and maybe extra if there is exceptional contribution in those few months.

So far dream job is still dreamy. They want me to start thinking about hiring folks to support me because the company is growing at an insane rate but I'd like to hold off til fall to do that if possible.

My old boss (the one that started 2 weeks before I went on maternity leave) called me because someone who applied for my old job used me for a reference so I had a chance to talk to old boss......man I am so glad I left. I still talk to VP 2-3 times a week and shit is so goddamn depressing over there. My old boss went to VP I guess and was like "what would it take to get her back"......I added 50% to my current salary which was greater than a 75% bump to my old salary.

Mostly because...I never want to fucking go back there ever again. Its so liberating having actual empowerment. I guess my old boss freaked out when VP told him the number heh. VP would pay it. VP would pay 2x that if it were up to him.

I'm still 100% overhead but I just wrote a proposal in about 5 days and captured 100k revenue (to start) so I've already brought revenue in which I am not even expected to do. Chairman didn't want to hire an overhead person...certainly not one that only worked 4 days a week.....I guess he's been in my boss' office repeatedly about how glad he is that I am here.

And also...... guess who was put in charge of rewriting the company maternity leave and short term disability policy/benefits?
<------------this guy.

And yes, they know I am planning on being pregnant again imminently soon. Life is good.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I work Command and Control for the U.S. Air Force.

I don't know what else to put here. I've got 3 more years left and then I plan to go into federal law enforcement (FBI, etc).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're doing appraisals/performance reviews as well right now. I technically started 7 days before the year end so I'm not sure how it's going to work out.