What do you do?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I'm a property/casualty actuary, graduated with a math degree 3.5 years ago.

Over $100k salary, 5 weeks of vacation, attend seminars on company time a few times a year which are always a lot of fun, etc etc.
Hey $%$#%#, stop raising my rates. (I am a commercial broker)

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I got a low six figure bonus and I only billed 2200 hours this year! SUCK IT, PEASANTS! HAHA!
biggrin.png
I'm unfamiliar with the average number of yearly hours lawyers typically bill.

52 weeks a year x 2 days a week for weekends = 104 days a year of weekends.

2200 total hours / 8 hours in a workday = 275 days. 275 work days + 104 days of weekends = 379 days.

Either:

1) You consider your workdays as much > 8 hours
2) You're working every weekend
3) Billing for hours you aren't actually working
4) Fucking lawyers

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'm unfamiliar with the average number of yearly hours lawyers typically bill.

52 weeks a year x 2 days a week for weekends = 104 days a year of weekends.

2200 total hours / 8 hours in a workday = 275 days. 275 work days + 104 days of weekends = 379 days.

Either:

1) You consider your workdays as much > 8 hours
2) You're working every weekend
3) Billing for hours you aren't actually working
4) Fucking lawyers
Yes I often work greater than 8 hours a day, and now and then I work 3-4 hours on a weekend.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I work in personal lines.
I am in Canada so our paths most likely wont cross, i do a handful of personal lines VIP clients, the year after year 15% bump is killing me ! Sure the commission is nice, but the stress and TIME is not worth it ! Please help me and crunch your numbers in a way that creates stability in our market !

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I am in Canada so our paths most likely wont cross, i do a handful of personal lines VIP clients, the year after year 15% bump is killing me ! Sure the commission is nice, but the stress and TIME is not worth it ! Please help me and crunch your numbers in a way that creates stability in our market !
If it makes you feel any better im an insurance agent in the US and our personal lines property rates have been raising like 15-20% a year for the past half decade. Basically most people's homeowners insurance has doubled in the past 5-6 years. There's only so many times you can talk to a customer and placate them about massive hikes every year.

Then we got the news that instead of an increase for 2014, agents are getting a 10% commission cut each year for the next 3 years. Yipee fuck.

Time to look at striking out on my own and becoming a broker rather than a captive agent for 1 company only

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Well shit. Two months of interviews and effort later, I am the alternate choice for the position. If they can't negotiate terms with their first pick, they'll call me.

I was informed in person, which was nice. It sounds like the individual they chose had a much deeper resume with 20 years of experience, which I simply can't compete with. I'm not at all sure why someone with 20 years would be interested in the title or the salary, but that's just a mystery I suppose.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
They tell you you're 2nd best? I've never heard of that in my years of interviewing. Only time I get told they were considering other candidates is if they extend you an offer. Seems like a legal liability.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I know the director very well. He and I have worked together for the last 7 years. He wanted to tell me in person that I wasn't receiving an offer out of respect for our previous work history.

Besides, it's not like I won't find out. I have two other projects with that office, one of which was my reason for being down there in person today. I'm going to have to work directly alongside whomever they hired instead of me.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
I start my first nurse practitioner job Monday. It's at a local community mental health clinic (I specialize in psychiatry); all my experience is on inpatient units. I am both nervous and excited. I am making 115k/year, which is pretty much Oprah-rich in SW Missouri. Considering it took me 7 years to get my associate, bachelor and master's degrees in nursing (this is after I got two worthless humanities degrees during my first stint in college) and pass the certification test, I guess I'm more relieved than anything.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
Haha, I've lived in Springfield for 25 years. Joplin sucks but it is nothing compared to my ancestral homeland of Exeter, MO (the shittiest town I have ever seen).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Everytime I drive through Springfield(mother-in-law lives at Table Rock Lake/Kimberling City) I have to stop at Andys. Best goddamned frozen custard on Earth. The key lime pie concrete is better than sex.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would say so, only because of the unique flavors that Andys comes up with, I think they have more variety and are more creative than Ted Drews, but the basic frozen custard is probably on par at both, both are damn good. Like the Key lime pie mentioned above, it isn't just flavors added to simulate key lime pie, they actually take a piece of key lime pie and blend it up into the concrete(although they may add extra flavors too, I don't know, but theres legitimately chunks of crust and pie in it)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know the director very well. He and I have worked together for the last 7 years. He wanted to tell me in person that I wasn't receiving an offer out of respect for our previous work history.

Besides, it's not like I won't find out. I have two other projects with that office, one of which was my reason for being down there in person today. I'm going to have to work directly alongside whomever they hired instead of me.
Tough break, but it sounds like you went through a pretty positive experience and seem to work with people that care about you. I've been passed over on promotions and basically come into work to seeing someone working as my new boss without anyone telling me, and it sucked.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Tough break, but it sounds like you went through a pretty positive experience and seem to work with people that care about you. I've been passed over on promotions and basically come into work to seeing someone working as my new boss without anyone telling me, and it sucked.
Yeah, it sucks but there isn't much I can do. I feel a little like I got dumped after two months, going back and forth between being really bummed out and a little angry.

The upshot to all of it is that a lot of the right people now know who I am by name and will recognize it on projects. A year from now, that might do me considerable good. There could be additional openings or projects available to me that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I feel like I made a very good impression.

The downside is that if someone comes to me again and encourages me to apply for something in that office/division, I am going to be a lot more hesitant to go through the entire process again just to be let down.