What do you do?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's hard to see the end result of your decision years down the road. Who picks a profession based on salary vs hourly/overtime? And maybe we should, just saying as a culture, we tell our kids to do what they like best, and for some, that's long hours as a doctor.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not all doctors work those hours either. Emergency room doctors have it the worst from what I understand. But general practitioners (primary care) seem to have it pretty good (though not their PAs). I'm basing that entirely off of the woes of a PA I used to date and the fact that half the time I call my doctor's office my PCP is not in the office.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
It depends where you work. I am a nurse practitioner and I get paid salary ($115k). I am in the outpatient clinic from 8-5 Monday through Friday and I am never on call. I am usually out the door a few minutes before or right at 5pm. Then again, I am scheduled thirty minutes for repeat patients and one hour for new ones; if one person no-shows their appointment (95% of the time someone does) I get all my paperwork done on time. A lot of places double book and that can get you way behind.

Vinen

God is dead
Had a massive re-org at my company within our Business Unit and it looks like it's going to be a complete clusterfuck.
Thinking of interviewing elsewhere... but sweet sweet RSUs... sweet sweet RSUs (~200k / 3 years).... May end up interviewing at a company whose name has become a verb.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just had a friend get a job at google, if that's what you're referring too. Told me they had him do 14 different interviews..

Vinen

God is dead
Just had a friend get a job at google, if that's what you're referring too. Told me they had him do 14 different interviews..
Thats part of the reason I'm kind meh on it. It's more that I have a bunch of friends working at the office.
I don't doubt they wouldn't meet / exceed my current salary so that's not really a consideration. Just don't really feel like putting up with interviews... They are terrifying-

At my current job Software Engineers are split into 8 Levels

I am a ~level 6
I haven't interviewed for a job since I was the equiv of a level 2. :3

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How does hourly work for lawyers anyways? You're clearly exempt so under federal law you're not required to be paid hourly, but most lawyers get it anyways. Is it just tradition?
So it depends on the case. Some cases, you get paid hourly. Other cases, you get a contingency fee (if you win, you get a % of the settlement/judgment).

If the case is hourly, the client is taking all the risk; but on the flip side, the client is going to reap the rewards. For example, if the client thinks the case will settle at an early stage, they might think hourly is to their advantage since they will only pay us for the work we actually do. On the other hand, if a case goes to trial and appeals, contingency can be to the clients advantage since they only pay us once we win (can be years away) and they never take anything out of pocket.

There are also hybrid compensation schemes where we discount our hourly rate by 50% and take 1/2 the normal contingency (for example), there are other splits too. Other clients like to do goalpost type pay, win a motion to dismiss you get X, clear summary judgment you get Y, although those are rare.

As for me personally, yes I am exempt and I get a salary but I also get a lot of bonus pay depending on my hours and when we get contingency cases settled. My bosses are firm believers in paying us all percentages when we get a big settlement. I even got a $15k check when we settled a $290M patent case when I was a summer associate. The size of my yearly (but sometimes twice yearly) bonus is also directly dependent on the number of hours I bill during that bonus period. So I would classify my compensation as hybrid.

There are also a fair # of cases that are required by law to be hourly: family law cases come to mind.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
rrr_img_83610.jpg

Finally quit Wal-Mart. I promised I would stay through Thanksgiving. That was the last holiday they will get from me. My last week of student teaching is next week and then I graduate on the 13th. Feels good bros.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I found out my "friend" who got a job at google is actually a fellow co-worker on the BIOS team. I had only heard the "friend" got a job at google through a facebook post but wasn't sure which kid from our class it was. They must pay way better than EMC.

I'm about to receive a shit ton more work I guess..

Vinen

God is dead
I found out my "friend" who got a job at google is actually a fellow co-worker on the BIOS team. I had only heard the "friend" got a job at google through a facebook post but wasn't sure which kid from our class it was. They must pay way better than EMC.

I'm about to receive a shit ton more work I guess..
They do. I make 175K/year now and would easily break 200 with them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah but he's just a software engineer 2, so I'm not sure what his salary will be but I assume the jump for him would be pretty massive.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Consider that he might be working significantly more hours at the new job too. That and cost of living have generally kept me out of California. Well, that and the state being full of crazies.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah that's true. We're much more family-friendly with the hours here (typically 8-5 - some more hours during critical problem times).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What's the benefits package like at Google? I would assume healthcare is pretty great but what's the vacation/PTO like?

Working in software in a major metropolitan area for a bit and getting your salary to those levels can be a major boon simply because you can then leverage that salary and your experience/knowledge and possibly find a position that will let you telecommute from wherever you want to live. That's my plan anyway. Make Manhattan money living in some cheap as shit area of the country.