What do you do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He was telling me they get free food everyday and 12 weeks paid paternity leave, I assume everything else is great.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
12 weeks of pat leave? Jesus. I thought my place giving 2 weeks for paternity was generous. Most places don't even offer it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Bank of America gives 12 weeks fully paid maternity & paternity leave, with the option to take up to an additional 3 months unpaid. So I guess technically you could have 6 months off with the equivalent of half-pay. BoA had outstanding benefits, they gave us a pre-paid health care debit card with a few hundred bucks on it each year, and would add another $500 on it(per person) if you went and got a wellness physical each year(which was free), nice for paying the co-pays and deductible for various visits each year. Unfortunately, it's a crap company to work for if you are actually in a bank and not at a corporate office, my wife couldn't stand it anymore and left to take a job with less pay but WAY better overall employee morale.

Heck, BoA lets domestic partners on to an employee's benefits. I got on my wife(then fiance') benefits when we moved in together, a good year before we even got married. They even let part time employees have full benefits if you don't mind the check deduction to pay for them. They have a lot of tellers that stick around forever, working a day or two a week just to pay for health insurance for their family.

I just kind of assumed most fortune 100 level companies offered comparable great benefits, I've personally never worked for a company that large to have options like that. Maybe it's not as common as I thought

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Sort of a derail.

Has anyone ever received a contact that asks you about your availability to interview with one of their clients, not for recruiting purposes, but for expertise? This contact came in through LinkedIn and their website looks legit but it sounds really scammy.

I had quite a few years engineering and managing projects in a specific industry and the claim is that their client is a consulting company want to know about how potential customers in this industry organize their teams, how they conduct research, what processes and tools they use, etc. Not only does it seem like a stretch that anyone would want to ask about these topics, but the mediator is in France and they're saying my rate could be in the $300-400/hr range.

Here is their website:Experts Council

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The verbiage on that website is absolutely atrocious. Holy shit.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bank of America gives 12 weeks fully paid maternity & paternity leave, with the option to take up to an additional 3 months unpaid. So I guess technically you could have 6 months off with the equivalent of half-pay. BoA had outstanding benefits, they gave us a pre-paid health care debit card with a few hundred bucks on it each year, and would add another $500 on it(per person) if you went and got a wellness physical each year(which was free), nice for paying the co-pays and deductible for various visits each year. Unfortunately, it's a crap company to work for if you are actually in a bank and not at a corporate office, my wife couldn't stand it anymore and left to take a job with less pay but WAY better overall employee morale.

Heck, BoA lets domestic partners on to an employee's benefits. I got on my wife(then fiance') benefits when we moved in together, a good year before we even got married. They even let part time employees have full benefits if you don't mind the check deduction to pay for them. They have a lot of tellers that stick around forever, working a day or two a week just to pay for health insurance for their family.

I just kind of assumed most fortune 100 level companies offered comparable great benefits, I've personally never worked for a company that large to have options like that. Maybe it's not as common as I thought
The prepaid debit card is $800 starting in 2015 if you make less than $100k or something close. And the wellness checks give you $500 per person off your yearly premiums. It's pretty nice.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
The verbiage on that website is absolutely atrocious. Holy shit.
Yeah, the guy who originally contacted me was a little weak in English. I've worked with a lot of folks from Europe and Asia so I try to cut some people some slack. My Spanish is pretty basic and my German i pathetic.

You're right, though, it is a red flag.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
12 weeks of pat leave? Jesus. I thought my place giving 2 weeks for paternity was generous. Most places don't even offer it.
Norway has 1 year by law, not tied to place of employment. Father gets 14 of the weeks (can apply for more or less, but 14 of the weeks is default), full pay up until roughly $7.5kish a month, if your job pays more than that, it is up to the business to supply the rest (if they do).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We can't do that in America, too many white trash shitbags having kids everyday to get on welfare

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Currently in the job hunt, but still employed for a financial services company. What I've found is the benefits for Banks, and other financial companies are crazy good. My job keeps referring to being a "premier" employer. Having looked at benefits at other companies like Edward Jones, Wells Fargo, Raymond James, etc, it all seems to be pretty damn good. Wall St. gives them bene's!

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Have an interview for a Public Health non-profit this upcoming week (want to get away from contracting). Zero cost to employees for their health insurance plan which is pretty amazing in itself. Seems almost worth taking the job just for that if I get an offer.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just started a billable hour job nov 17 and have gotten my first paycheck for Dec 15. I was under the impression it would be for a near month but it's just a regular paycheck. It is a salary position with straight overtime. I guess when i quit I'll get an extra 2 weeks? This seems strange to me

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Graduated yesterday. Feels good bros.

Got sub jobs lined up for the whole week and then I start my long term sub job Jan 12th.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Strange times indeed. I mentioned earlier that since I was on leave I've had a lot of interest. Met with president of the company last week and then again this week at a town halfway between us. Had a few hour talk in the hotel bar/lobby. We came to an agreement on salary and I'm pretty excited to exit out of the stricly petro chemical business. Then today president calls and says he was going to sound like he was waffling. I knew the gig was up. He offered me more money because what we agreed on wasn't fair and then threw on a bonus of 7% of a yearly salary.

So I'm moving to the San Antonio area between there and Austin soon and they will pay the relocation and temp housing for a month or two.

Strange times indeed.

Not bad for someone with a GED, project manage and possibly oversee and incorporate an engineering division.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So you agreed on salary and then he called back and offered more? Did he have disheveled hair and a crack pipe sticking out of his pocket?

Elsebet

Peasant
Where do you work? Costco Wholesale

What do you do? (Title/keywords)

I'm in IT. I'll be honest this is the most unorganized, inefficient, and wasteful IT shop I've ever been in, and after 2 months on this team I'm still not sure what I am supposed to be doing and neither is my manager/director, so I'm learning Java and Python. When I talk to people about it they say my experiences are similar to working for the government or a union shop. If the warehouse employees knew the amount of waste going on in this office they'd riot, because they work hard.

What field/industry? IT

Wages? Salary

Bonuses/SEP? Nope. My last job I got a yearly bonus, restricted stock grants, and stock options.

Benefits? I guess the medical benefits are good?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So you agreed on salary and then he called back and offered more? Did he have disheveled hair and a crack pipe sticking out of his pocket?
My dad asked if he was right in the head, he also works in the same industry. I think he has bigger plans he has hinted around at when his son takes over in a couple of years.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Currently in the job hunt, but still employed for a financial services company. What I've found is the benefits for Banks, and other financial companies are crazy good. My job keeps referring to being a "premier" employer. Having looked at benefits at other companies like Edward Jones, Wells Fargo, Raymond James, etc, it all seems to be pretty damn good. Wall St. gives them bene's!
Yes, I discovered this years ago and have specifically stuck to the financial services industry. Smaller shops generally even do catered lunches.