What do you do?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good to know bros. In class right now, and I might ask my instructor about it. He's got a job with his CCNP cert.

Absolutely love router and switch programming, and IP addressing, etc etc. What I hate is having to drudge through things like what makes up a packet, or the OSI model. I know it's necessary, but it's boring as shit!

Edit: Asked about it! Instructor makes a good point that there is so much of the "old" stuff, that has to be manually configured, that it'll be a long time before software defined networks/data centers are "required". Had me scared bros! I was like wtf, I won't have a job outta this!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
CI is bleeding edge right now and still in the development phase for a lot of places, so I wouldn't worry about being out of a job or anything. As long as you can adapt to the new stuff, you'll be fine.

Crazily

N00b
Good to know bros. In class right now, and I might ask my instructor about it. He's got a job with his CCNP cert.

Absolutely love router and switch programming, and IP addressing, etc etc. What I hate is having to drudge through things like what makes up a packet, or the OSI model. I know it's necessary, but it's boring as shit!

Edit: Asked about it! Instructor makes a good point that there is so much of the "old" stuff, that has to be manually configured, that it'll be a long time before software defined networks/data centers are "required". Had me scared bros! I was like wtf, I won't have a job outta this!
Technology always out paces what most companies actually implement. YMMV of course but generally speaking new tech is almost always ridiculously expensive to implement until it's been around for quite some time. VOIP is a great example, it's been around since the very early 90's but it really didn't become standard until mid 2000's and even then it was expensive to switch from a standard PBX.

Vinen

God is dead
Technology always out paces what most companies actually implement. YMMV of course but generally speaking new tech is almost always ridiculously expensive to implement until it's been around for quite some time. VOIP is a great example, it's been around since the very early 90's but it really didn't become standard until mid 2000's and even then it was expensive to switch from a standard PBX.
There are a few large multinational companies implementing SDDC's at this time ;3

Crone

I was re-assured when I saw a network admin job for Blizzard posted. I thought, shit, if can go work for Blizzard, then everything has got to be good!
wink.png

Right now, I feel specializing in CCNA (or CCNP/CCIE) Security or Data centers is "hot" just from what I've seen for job postings. Many want you to know the new'ish Nexus gear from Cisco.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Stock is where the big money is, choose wisely and you can make 200+k and get pre-IPO stock and that is how you actually get rich at this gig.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am back at work and excited. I had the last eight months off due to illness. Got to my new location and they are an absolute disaster compared to my previous location. They do the same job but in Germany they did a lot of real world missions and here it is mostly training missions. As a result they don't really fully man after 9 PM and they have a general lacsidasical attitude. Can't wait to make some much needed changes. Myself and three other just got here to supervise shifts and bring continuity to the day to day. I am a little sad that I probably won't touch a router or modem for a while since the main focus will be more PM related and procedure training.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I've realized I hate teaching 8th grade. 7th grade is ok, high school is better. 8th grade just seems to be filled with assholes. Plus the fact I'm teaching english which sucks. I can't be honest with my grades because parents bitch and principals fold like wet cardboard. So the amount of fucks I had is all gone. Fuck I hope June hurries up and gets here so I can throw my resume around and get to a different school.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can break down 50 people in 8 scrum teams or so. This will enable you to have right sized teams.
THAT SAID, once the teams have dependencies on each other (Lol intersprint-dependencies) it all breaks down... very fast and amazingly.

TDD can be a complete clusterfuck as people stop focusing on actually releasing a product. In addition, all TDD does is verify someone can code to a spec... just coding to a spec does not a good product make.

/////Considers Quality to be a more difficult and technical job then Developing. Won't hire anyone who can't code at a Software Engineer 3 or above level.
I find this interesting. Is this just your general statement or do you specifically mean for Quality positions? I.E. the people looking at someone else's code for defects? What essentially sounds like code reviews in our organization. The difference though (and this is a BIG if given I don't fully know how your organization works) is that we have code reviews performed by peer developers AND a quality team which focuses on testing the code from an all-encompassing perspective once it is checked in but before it hits prod.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You a network guy? Working on getting my CCNA, which is why I ask.
smile.png
Sort of, I do satellites but I also have to know enough to establish the baseband services. I have to know more than most people out there but a lot less than a real network engineer.

Crone

Ahh CCNA the new Net+ (meaning, useless)

Its just a stepping stone to the ones that actually provide value.
Well yes, that would be the plan, assuming you are talking about CCNP / CCIE certs? And yes, I'll make sure I know about SDDC as well.
smile.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I am back at work and excited. I had the last eight months off due to illness. Got to my new location and they are an absolute disaster compared to my previous location. They do the same job but in Germany they did a lot of real world missions and here it is mostly training missions. As a result they don't really fully man after 9 PM and they have a general lacsidasical attitude. Can't wait to make some much needed changes. Myself and three other just got here to supervise shifts and bring continuity to the day to day. I am a little sad that I probably won't touch a router or modem for a while since the main focus will be more PM related and procedure training.
Glad to hear your healthy enough to get back to work man.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Well I am 36...make 75k/year in a nice easy government job as a senior network administrator (I mainly do Cisco firewall's but touch on all apsects of networking) .....I think I might have hit my wall because damned if I can get motivated to get anymore IT Certs or finish a 4 year degree (I have a+, network+, security+, and an associates of science focused in IT). I have bought CISSP course about 6 months ago but only got about 1/4 through it before I lost the will.

Chances are I will slide into my bosses position when he retires in the next 3-5 years and I can just ride that till retirement.
I have worked in government for about 7 years in various IT professions. I started with a WA state agency, went to the Feds, back to WA state with a different agency and hit a hard salary cap around 78k at the 5 year mark. I finally landed with a city (nix admin) about 19 months ago and love it. Just barely broke six figures (102 now and will top out at 110 in two more years). Strong union and the best part of it is that I am hourly and get plenty of OT. Not sure what level of gov you work in, but it seems cities tend to pay better in all my research, with counties not far behind.

Crone

All these networking jobs being talked about, with to what I consider high salaries has me hopeful that I'm choosing the right career path to go down. Sweet!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Sorry, I just have to reminisce now... I started in "IT" in the private sector making maybe 13 an hour in 2004. Worked mostly swing shift as grunt labor installing desktops, monitors, switches, etc. in a 3k employee HQ building and lots of field offices in the NW, Alaska and Hawaii. OT was plentiful and I was in awesome shape from basically doing manual labor all the time. We'd crank music and shove in fat wads of Kodiak while replacing 100s of desktops or big ass CRT monitors with LCDs. Wish I was still doing it but damn if having a family doesn't make money, time off and medical benefits a priority...