What do you do?

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, sounds like you basically got fucked.

But if they hire a new admin for you there's no guarantee that you'll get along with him for dick. In fact the odds are that you'll clash. So even going out the door I have a feeling your old boss did you as best of a favor as he could.

That's how they move engineers into management. Kicking and screaming.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm 9 fucking months over do for my yearly review. People keep stating past crises as to why, which is bullshit. Some crises they state we haven't even worked on since my anniversary date.

So glad when more security things go through I'll be able to tell my current company to get fucked and start my new job.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sometimes it pays to break the rules.

Offically got the title of VP of engineering today after 2-1/2 months on the job. Only 3 VP's in the company.

I sent in a blind resume and cover letter, made a two page resume and a two page cover letter. Sent it in via snail mail. President of the company got the resume because the HR lady was on vacation and he hinted around he wasn't happy with the stuff she's been sending him for review.

Apparently they had fallen into the trap of hiring people who knew a lot about software and such but didn't have the first clue about the business or their job. From talking to other senior management they were getting people who knew X software and they had the thought they could train them about the business.

Oh well, that ended in my department officially today lol.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Had a line on a decent job through a friend but it looks to have already been filled. It's lit a bit of a fire to keep looking, though.

I've been at my current employer so long I almost don't know how to start. I mean, logically I *know*, but it feels very foreign. I really do think I'm ready to leave academics, though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've been at my current employer so long I almost don't know how to start. I mean, logically I *know*, but it feels very foreign.
Same here. I'm 37 years old and I've only had 2 employers in the past 20 years, but I'm about to start looking. I haven't been on the applicant side of an interview since I was a teenager, I'm used to being the one doing the interviewing. This is going to be very strange.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I got a new gig working on the business side with FedEx Office. I was retail management for years (CenturyLink and Sprint) and couldn't take the hours anymore. For a decade I worked holidays, weekends and until 10 or 11pm 60 hours a week, sometimes more. Now I work 8am - 4:30, monday through friday and the spare time I have in my life now is almost staggering. I've already seen my two older kids more in the last month than I did in 3 months working my previous job.

New job is pretty cake, all I do is act as an extra set of eyes and ears on print orders between the customers and the canter and print facilities. I meet with clients as well to see what their needs may be and what projects they also have in the pipe line.

I've been there a month so far, as of now I couldn't be happier.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I swear, some days here are indistinguishable from a Dilbert cartoon.

"There was a DIF (direct immune fluorescence) assay yesterday that didn't get done, why didn't you take care of it?"

"There was no paperwork posted, and it wasn't on the master log either. I had no idea it existed."

"Yeah, the lab assistant forgot to enter it. You still could have gone into the computer and read the raw descriptions."

"...yes, I technically could have, but since I had no reason to believe that this test request existed, I had no reason to double check to see if one was there."

"You need to double check all of them."

"All of them? We do hundreds of tests here, you want me to double check every conceivable entry mistake the lab assistant could have made?"

"Just check for the important ones."

"...which ones are the important ones?"

"You're the technologist, you should know which ones are important. Look I got chewed the hell out by the doctor today, this needs to not happen again."

Totally speechless/blank stare as she walks away on my part here.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Same here. I'm 37 years old and I've only had 2 employers in the past 20 years, but I'm about to start looking. I haven't been on the applicant side of an interview since I was a teenager, I'm used to being the one doing the interviewing. This is going to be very strange.
The shitty thing is you just have to tell them what they want to hear to some extent and eventually once you get to a manager you'd be working for you can finally discuss 'real life'. It sucks, modern hiring in a lot of places is having the right keywords for recognition software, flirting with the recruiter on the phone screen and then BSing past the hiring manager (who you won't work with) in order to get in the door to a place you don't know if you'll like.

Funny enough though, sometimes I will just do first interviews with people and not tell them who I am so they just figure I'm some poor HR schleb forced to do interviews - so with the bad ones they wheel and deal and I play along for about 5-10 minutes before I call them out on all their BS then walk them out. It's a fun distraction.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
So I got off of salary and onto a % of billings system, so now if I work 10 hours a day I get paid for 10. If I work 4, I get paid for 4. And if we have a contingency case I put hours on and we settle it, I get paid my share of the contingency which can be several multiples of my actual hourly. Plus I still get bonuses for firm performance. No paid time off, but I can take off basically when I want to because they won't be paying me for it.

Time to go shopping at the Aston Martin dealer.

Vinen

God is dead
So I got off of salary and onto a % of billings system, so now if I work 10 hours a day I get paid for 10. If I work 4, I get paid for 4. And if we have a contingency case I put hours on and we settle it, I get paid my share of the contingency which can be several multiples of my actual hourly. Plus I still get bonuses for firm performance. No paid time off, but I can take off basically when I want to because they won't be paying me for it.

Time to go shopping at the Aston Martin dealer.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

/Why not get a Tesla and join the Techfags?... cheaper and cooler... I guess?
//I want to get one but fuck owning a car of any value in the North East. SALT RAPE and I have no room for more than 2 cars so parking it for the winter is not an option...
///Bumper is hanging off my WRX STI right now after hitting a snowbank this winter. HRAP TUCO

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

/Why not get a Tesla and join the Techfags?... cheaper and cooler... I guess?
//I want to get one but fuck owning a car of any value in the North East. SALT RAPE and I have no room for more than 2 cars so parking it for the winter is not an option...
///Bumper is hanging off my WRX STI right now after hitting a snowbank this winter. HRAP TUCO
Didn't really see the point in Tesla right now, buy an $80k car to save on gas?

Vinen

God is dead
Didn't really see the point in Tesla right now, buy an $80k car to save on gas?
Nothing about owning a Tesla is about saving money on gas :3

It's about buying into the future and or sucking Elon Musk's dick. Kinda like buying an Apple product is akin to...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Elon Musk's ideas are a bit too pie in the sky for me right now. Seems to want to invent a million different otherworldly things.

Tube transporters..

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Nothing about owning a Tesla is about saving money on gas :3

It's about buying into the future and or sucking Elon Musk's dick. Kinda like buying an Apple product is akin to...
I dunno, I like Apple products (typing this on my 27" iMac!) but I don't care for Tesla.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Every time I see a Tesla I think it's a Maserati, then get bummed when it's a Tesla.

Buy a Maserati. I was close to getting one then my wife decided to become a stay at home mom. Booooooo kids.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Every time I see a Tesla I think it's a Maserati, then get bummed when it's a Tesla.

Buy a Maserati. I was close to getting one then my wife decided to become a stay at home mom. Booooooo kids.
Pfft. I can't see owning an Italian car. German cars are unreliable enough.

Besides, I take my kid to elementary school in my porsche and he rolls the windows down and yells to his friends and the friends think it's a Ferrari. So Italian enough I guess..

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I can't see myself ever spending more than like $35k on a car. I just don't see the point.