What do you do?

Vinen

God is dead
What kind of engineer? I've never met an engineer that had a time card to fill out?

OK we have time cards but they are already filled out and we ok them on Friday morning lol.
Apparently you have never worked for a Contractor (Defense, Government, etc)

It's a requirement. All hours have to be allocated and audit-able.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My time card is like this.

Login to system, approve, done.

I'm salary but they still want us to show 8.0 hours a day (LOL yeah right).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm working at a part time job starting next Sunday for $10/hour. Moving up in the world. If things work out I might really be onto something lol.

Vinen

God is dead

Wait, what the fuck. EMC makes you do timecards? Jesus Christ, I hope the news plays out and VMware buys EMC through the circle-jerk stock swap.

No wonder EMC is so unprofitable.

Borzak

Apparently you have never worked for a Contractor (Defense, Government, etc)

It's a requirement. All hours have to be allocated and audit-able.
In my previous job we had to put hours on each job since we did multiple a day. The secretary did it for everyone and just made shit up.

Nope never worked on contract with the government. I love doing contract for companies that literally when they say "Money is no object" they mean it. And unlike the federal government decide to do it in a matter of minutes.

Borzak

Best part of our schedule is I get off at 11 on Fridays and we typically take an hour or more even tho we "technically" get 30 minutes. FIrst day on job the president and his son (VP of operations) took me to lunch and they said you get 30 minutes for lunch. Ok. We got back after an hour and I thought maybe because I was new and we talked, he said as we walked in (along with everyone else) that just take an hour I don't care.

That and I got paid to do a "sales, meet and greet call" last week for a week while visiting my parents and they flew me there. I think I met for 4 hours all week. Didn't count as vacation either since I don't have any.

I worked for myself for 15 years. I could never punch a clock or keep up with time or what job I was working on. In my previous job I was on call 24/7. I liked it. I liked the job and the pay was outstanding.

My new part time job pays $10/hour, but I don't think I have to punch a clock. I think that was just code word for we'll pay you that much for the amount of time we want you hear.

Izo

Tranny Chaser

My little girl started kindergarten this week. They have a coming/going system for the kids on a touch screen
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wait, what the fuck. EMC makes you do timecards? Jesus Christ, I hope the news plays out and VMware buys EMC through the circle-jerk stock swap.

No wonder EMC is so unprofitable.
You can use the word 'timecard' loosely. Really I just approve it blindly every week - only time it changes is when I put in vacation/sick/PTO time. They don't want us putting the actual hours we worked, and I don't get paid hourly.

I don't know how having to click 'approve' for 10 seconds every 2 week makes us unprofitable, haha.

Vinen

God is dead
You can use the word 'timecard' loosely. Really I just approve it blindly every week - only time it changes is when I put in vacation/sick/PTO time. They don't want us putting the actual hours we worked, and I don't get paid hourly.

I don't know how having to click 'approve' for 10 seconds every 2 week makes us unprofitable, haha.
Timecards for no reason other then timecards explains explains how the company is run.

Borzak

We do the same thing, it takes 30 seconds. It could be set automatically but you see how much vacation time you have and personal time. Plus it shows you which week your insurance is taken out etc...

Like I said for 30 seconds, whatever. Everyone in the company is on the same system and only 10 or so out of 400 are not on an hourly basis for pay.

The 2 Fridays I wasn't there to OK it I still got paid /shrug.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wrote a standard for pipe supports/guides/hold downs yesterday and watched it get torn to shit today. That seems like something you'd be an expert at borz, was way more fucking complicated than I'd ever imagined.

Vinen

God is dead
We do the same thing, it takes 30 seconds. It could be set automatically but you see how much vacation time you have and personal time. Plus it shows you which week your insurance is taken out etc...

Like I said for 30 seconds, whatever. Everyone in the company is on the same system and only 10 or so out of 400 are not on an hourly basis for pay.

The 2 Fridays I wasn't there to OK it I still got paid /shrug.
My paychecks have always had this info.

Borzak

Wrote a standard for pipe supports/guides/hold downs yesterday and watched it get torn to shit today. That seems like something you'd be an expert at borz, was way more fucking complicated than I'd ever imagined.
I think at one time I did more pipe supports than anyone in the nation. The shop next to ours was IPS (internatioanal piping supply) which did piping for the petro chemical and nuclear industry. All their pipe supports they farmed out to me. A subsidarary of Jacobs. which in itslef is huge.

They are actually quite profitable. More profit per pound than building an entire refinery or a high rise.

What was your problem? Every place has their own standards. My favorite is they don't want built up pipe shoes and spec out stainless beams/T's....umm please tell me where to buy those lol. I'm going to build it up out of plate moron.

Standards in the petro chemical industry are big on inertia. But I udnerstand it. My dad who is 75 has been doing pipe supports for Exdon for 50 years why change it and make it more complicated. Just like Dow has their deal etc...I know when Exxon changed their standards for ladders it caused a major problem and after a year they went back to the old standard. I forgot the phrase they used but because it became too big of a pain in the ass to set standards to companies that might do 5 a year but have done them that way for 50 years.

Borzak

My paychecks have always had this info.
Mine do as well. When we approve the already filled in time sheet we also approve anything we charged on the company card and any reimbursements. But like I said 90% or more of the people who use it are on hourly pay and have to OK their time sheet. I like seeing ahead of time, just me but whatever. I like fitting in with the shop. I never leave the office right at 4:30 when the shop gets off. Let them leave for 10 minutes and leave last. It makes shit go much easier that way. Doing what the hourly guys do just works for a variety of reasons. Not to mention our HR lady is also the safety person and that eats up 90% of her time. Why not make shit go quick and easy? It's 30 seconds.

I worked for YEARS at a place that you got a paper check on Friday. Didn't mind it either, company is the most well off and profitable company I know and so is the owner.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have to fill out a timesheet twice a month. I don't think there has ever been a time I didn't just put 8 hours per day on my primary project or 8 hours vacation or 8 hours sick. It takes me like 30 seconds. I think the only reason they do it is to track vacation.