What do you do?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Developed a really cool dish at work today. Buffalo Pig's Trotter for the gastro menu at the brew pub.

Sous vide until soft, marinaded 24h in an umami packed paste we developed, air dried, painted with baking soda, then dusted in cornstarch and fried ultra crispy. Drenched in Frank's and served with a slaw of pickled celery & carrots with crumbled Stilton. Pulls apart just like the meat of a chicken wing, but super crunchy thick skin & a perfectly 'gooey' centre. People are going to go home and fuck their wives after eating this mother fucker.

Working on an all pork belly Porchetta tomorrow. Traditional, but we're gonna apply a Peking Duck cooking method on the skin. Serve it with a nice garlicy gremolata & shoestring fries.

Doing some cool booze infusions right now too. I bought a hand held smoker (link below) and I'm gonna pump cherry pipe tobacco smoke through some Wild Turkey and see what comes out the other end. I predict pure joy. Local peaches should be just right soon, and I have plans to make a roasted peach spiced rum infusion.

PolyScience the Smoking Gun® handheld food smoker PolyScience Culinary

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What's the deal now with college / buisness startup? Thought you were in the marines doing network, spying for NSA and shit.
I do satellite bandwidth management for the Army. Mainly I just supervise a 12 hour shift of soldiers and civilians while they do it. I report to higher what is going on and then dictate from higher what the goals are for workflow. I manage crisis situations and stuff like that.

College I am taking while at work because I am bored.

The startup is taking a while. I am really liking the process but I am approaching the part where I need outside help. We shall see how far I get with it. If I find people to do it all I can probably raise the money I need. Had a few people I was in talks with just flame out though.

I used to be in the Marines but I "quit" in 2011.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I was an engineer we had 2 secretaries for around 30 engineers. They didn't do much for us but they would remind me to fill out my time card every week.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Thats great bro. Start searching around and make these short term hourly deals your main job. Start juggling multiple jobs and stay busy. Triple your income. Thats how it has to be done.
I don't know what industry Xequecal is in but do you know that you didn't sign an agreement not to do any side work in your current profession? I have had jobs where you had to sign stuff like that when you were hired.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I could never be trusted to hire a secretary for myself.. it'd be all hot women desperate for money.

Had an old co-worker call from CA and say I could move out there and make double the income where he works doing similar work to what I do now. I could never move that far away from everyone, but it certainly has me thinking about doing a job search. Sucks because I love my job and all the benefits, but with a growing family to support it isn't going to cut it.
I'm not sure where you live now but double the income "may" keep you in the same life style you have now in CA.

Work is sending me back home for some training. Then I'm taking essentially free vacation back home.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I moved to North Carolina when they offered to keep me in CA or move me out to NC just because I didn't feel like living at those high costs any more. I made enough to be comfortable but just barely. Over here I can live like a king for so little I feel like I am cheating.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah cost of living is huge. I had an opportunity to go work in CA for Tesla and turned it down I would of lived good, but not as good as I do now, even with a 20% hike. I worked in Kentucky for a while, down in the Ford Kentucky truck plant doing some launch stuff, now that would be the place to be with my salary I would live like a fucking king. At the time I saw some postings of houses for sale on some bulletin boards and it was unreal. 3000sqft mansions on 2 acres for $200k, which in my area, suburbs of detroit would be at least a half a million if not more. It was unreal. Nice area too, Loiuisville KY.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah cost of living is huge. I had an opportunity to go work in CA for Tesla and turned it down I would of lived good, but not as good as I do now, even with a 20% hike. I worked in Kentucky for a while, down in the Ford Kentucky truck plant doing some launch stuff, now that would be the place to be with my salary I would live like a fucking king. At the time I saw some postings of houses for sale on some bulletin boards and it was unreal. 3000sqft mansions on 2 acres for $200k, which in my area, suburbs of detroit would be at least a half a million if not more. It was unreal. Nice area too, Loiuisville KY.
What do you do with Ford?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
At the time I was on the launch crew for the Ford Heavy duty truck, mid 90s. I spent like a year down there. Cool thing was they would fly me out on a Ford jet every monday, and fly my ass back home every fri. And I dont mean the F250 or F350, I mean the semi that they had. Since then they sold off all their heavy truck division to freightliner. We troubleshooted quick changes that needed to be made to parts if they were not going together and shit, quite cool.

These days I work for a Japanese based company that does entire IPs and consoles, among other things, for Nissan.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
At the time I was on the launch crew for the Ford Heavy duty truck, mid 90s. I spent like a year down there. Cool thing was they would fly me out on a Ford jet every monday, and fly my ass back home every fri. And I dont mean the F250 or F350, I mean the semi that they had. Since then they sold off all their heavy truck division to freightliner. We troubleshooted quick changes that needed to be made to parts if they were not going together and shit, quite cool.

These days I work for a Japanese based company that does entire IPs and consoles, among other things, for Nissan.
Was hoping you did work with OBD/CAN and I could pick your brain!!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I live in MA which is notoriously expensive, I don't think it's CA expensive though - and my friend works in silicon valley so fuck that. It just got me thinking about it is all.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The weather is a million times better than where you live Noodle. That's for fucking sure.

Vinen

God is dead
The weather is a million times better than where you live Noodle. That's for fucking sure.
You are the first person I've ever heard state this about MA in relation to FL.

I guess you do live near/on the Redneck Rivera.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Was hoping you did work with OBD/CAN and I could pick your brain!!
No Im in new product development. OEM sends us styling surface they want, we pick it apart, make it feasible and make parts from it. Then we test them digitally at first, FEM, then real world testing in environment chambers, shit like head impact analisis, air bag deployment but thats different departments. But I take that data and make appropriate changes based on the testing. Im doing moslty customer interaction, CAD work, whole bunch of release paperwork shit like that.

Back in the 90s I was on the Body in white team with Ford, which is sheet metal. Same thing really, but a bit different. Figuring out structure analysis, sectional data for best strength vs weight, crumple zones, figuring out how to weld the thing together.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My friend moved south of Seattle and the cost of living seemed reasonable. His house wasn't hugely more expensive than what you'd expect to pay in the Columbus suburb area. I'm not 100% sure how far away from Seattle he is but maybe 20-30 minutes. His job isn't in Seattle, though. I'm sure he'd put a bullet through his brain if he had to enter the city daily from there.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I was an engineer we had 2 secretaries for around 30 engineers. They didn't do much for us but they would remind me to fill out my time card every week.
What kind of engineer? I've never met an engineer that had a time card to fill out?

OK we have time cards but they are already filled out and we ok them on Friday morning lol.