What do you do?

Gauss_sl

shitlord
Probably has more to do with the majority of computer gamers are nerds and nerds have better degrees which make them more money over all.
Nah. Well, there are certainly those who played MMOs way too much and work crappy retail jobs to make ends meet, in WoW I was in a hardcore (top 10 on and off) raiding guild for 3.5 years and a middle of the road guild for a couple more, and there were quite a few people who went to top schools and have gone on to have successful careers (business owners, prestigious companies, etc.) in the former group. The latter, not so much. Some people are just successful regardless of what they do.

Legaeveth

Silver Knight of the Realm
What do you do?
Coater/Painter for f22

Where do you work? Utah

What do you do?

I make the plane stealthy

What field/industry?

Military/government

Wages? Average salary for this job is 150k a year since its government work it pays 52k with overtime I brought home 92k last year.

Bonuses/SEP? I love the job its relaxing and stress free

Benefits? OT, holiday, medical, dental, government 401k

Dilvish

Trakanon Raider
Journalist working in a digital strategy department (european electronics company, domestic & personal care appliances division). I'm also doing a Master in Digital Business.
45k ? (~ $60k ?)
Health/dental insurance, meal vouchers (about 300 ?/month), postgraduate studies grants/financing, and cheap (sometimes free, woohoo!) electronic devices

Myst

Peasant
Age / Education? 30. B. in computer science

Where do you work? I own and operate six restaurants

Wages? 7 figures which i share with my sister and brother in law. I own 40% of the company.

Bonuses? Being my own boss.

Benefits? None

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
What do you do? Dosimetrist- When people get cancer one of the common treatments is radiation. I am the guy that plans how to get the radiation into someone without damaging normal tissues too much.

Age/ education - 40s and some college.

Where do you work? Small private clinic in Minnesota - the mid-west is typically the lowest wage area of the country for health care

What field/industry? Heath care industry

Wages? 88k

Bonuses/SEP? They usually give us a bonus that is about 5% of our base pay.

Benefits? Average/ below average health/dental.

Ferr_sl

shitlord
What do you do? chef

Age/ education - 27 - graduated top 5ish from one of the best culinary programs in the country, apprenticed 4 years ago, hopped through 8 restaurants in those 4 years

Where do you work? new restaurant, opened a year ago

What field/industry? restaurant, non franchise/chain

Wages? 59kish, however given how many hours I actually worked for the first 6 months, I worked it out to something like $14.00 an hour (75 hour weeks), though I have scaled it back greatly and am skimming a good 35ish now.

Bonuses/SEP? bonus is pretty slim, I got about 2k at our 1 year mark, because it was a percentage of profits which were small considering the startup costs of a restaurant our size

Benefits? Canadian so prescription isnt bad and decent dental, company pays my cell phone (100 a monthish), and since i do majority of the purchasing, I get paid well for my mileage while out and about, works out in my favor heavily

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Age / Education? 30. B. in computer science

Where do you work? I own and operate six restaurants

Wages? 7 figures which i share with my sister and brother in law. I own 40% of the company.

Bonuses? Being my own boss.

Benefits? None
Instead of saying you share a seven figure income with other people wouldn't you just list your income. A guy at Microsoft doesn't say I share $30 billion in income with other people when asked his wages.

Did you inherit your way into these restaurants or money? To establish 6 successful restaurants and have the capital to do it starting from nothing by age 30 would be such a feat you should have your own cable tv show. Even if it was something as small as subway franchises would still be quite the accomplishment by 30.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Did you inherit your way into these restaurants or money? To establish 6 successful restaurants and have the capital to do it starting from nothing by age 30 would be such a feat you should have your own cable tv show. Even if it was something as small as subway franchises would still be quite the accomplishment by 30.
I have to assume they were either inherited, or he had so much money to start with(also family/inheritance) that he could just throw money at the problems at make them work. With a BS in Comp Sci, he's not even out of college until age 22ish, so to open one very successful restaurant every year since he's been out of college seems pretty far-fetched. Either most of them existed before he was even in the picture(other family members had been running them for years), or he had enough money to start with to buy multiple successful restaurants. Pretty much 0% chance he had anything to do with starting/opening more than maybe 1 or 2 of them.

Great gig if you can get it I'm sure, most of us would love to have a 6-figure job courtesy of our family just sitting there waiting for us the day we got out of college. I also have to wonder, why even bother getting a Comp Sci degree if your family had a multi-million dollar restaurant business just waiting for you?

Myst

Peasant
Instead of saying you share a seven figure income with other people wouldn't you just list your income. A guy at Microsoft doesn't say I share $30 billion in income with other people when asked his wages.

My share comes to roughly 600k a year + a salary of 80 000$. My dad opened one restaurant 8 years ago and it was extremely successful. He had to quickly retire due to health issues and asked me and my sister if we would like to take over. We opened a restaurant every 2 years since then. We both had time to finish our education.

I did inherit an amazing business, but i put in almost 80 hour a week for the past 8 year to turn it into something so much bigger. A lot of over nights, no vacation for 3-4 years straight, constant headaches etc. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and will be starting to take things easier in about a year or two.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Sewage Treatment Plant Operator, i make sure the poo is shoveled properly. Dead serious.

Industrial?

Wages, are awful currently lol

The bonuses are i find cash in the poop. No really i do, it buys me lunch now and again. Seriously.

Mega cheap health cares lol

Myst

Peasant
Actually bro, it's likely that there's a difference between his 600k share of profits and his 80k salary in terms of tax treatment.http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/30062
And all profit made is put back in the company. Hence the light at the end of the tunnel in two years. Six restaurants required us to take out big loans, which need to be paid off asap due to interest.

Basically i am living off 80k a year, with a small bonus we give each other at Christmas.

Freekshow_sl

shitlord
Age/Education? A year of Community College

Where do you work? Small town in Nevada

What do you do? Payroll/Banking/All sort of misc shit that everyone else is apparently to stupid to figure out how to do.

What field/industry? Multiple companies in multiples fields, all owned by the same owners.

Wages? 35k or so

Benefits? Health Insurance and decent yearly bonus.

Mir_sl

shitlord
Where: Northeast
What: Sr. Director of Dev/IT for mid-sized public company
Industry: tech/manufacturing/ecommerce i guess? i never know how to answer this