What do you do?

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
Rather unscientific obviously but I went through this thread and tabulated peoples responses. Overall from the numbers I don't get the impression some were giving that people are lying and exaggerating their income because it's the internet. There may be a little of that but based on the fields that people are in the average salaries are not far off from those fields. Two fields dominate the list and that is IT and Government so the fact that the results skew higher than the national average pay doesn't seem to be a dis-qualifier.

Stats:
Average Pay: $69,208 (national average in 2011 $42,979.61 a difference of $26,228.39)

So kind of far off from the average, but since we aren't dummies let's consider factors that we know to be true. This forum is overwhelmingly male. The national average includes woman who suck at making money. The national average for men is $47,127 (a difference of $22,081), but we are also a very white group $51,861 (a difference of $17,347), who are mostly college educated $56,700 (difference of $12,508)

Industry Breakdown:
When compared to national averages we are not far off from national averages for the different sectors other than IT which comes in at 22% on the forum but only 3% nationally.
rrr_img_11293.jpg

The top categories of Finance, Medical, Professional Services, Government and IT all have pretty high average salaries according to the BLS
rrr_img_11294.jpg

So other than people who apparently have their e-peen hurt by people predominately making middle class salaries. This thread is at least a fair representation of earning power of the various fields. I'm sure there is selection bias causing us not to hear from the lower paid fields. The people responding that they are in retail or a service trade is very low despite those being major employers in our economy.

Take it for what you will just thought some people might be interested and I was bored.
The other thing that is usually left out of the average salary statistics is the small business owner(s) who don't have any employees. I've had plenty of friends say my pay is a bit too high to be realistic for the work that I do, until I present them with my tax filings for myself and my company. 50/50 share with no other employees nets good pay, and it's easy to pay taxes on temp. labor than to pay for Worker's Comp, let alone a full-time employee.

Interesting stuff, however.

edit: I I should've noted that, in order for my statement to make any sort of fucking sense, it's related to taxable income being higher when you can write off 90% of everything you buy. I somehow managed to forget to put that in there. ;-;

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
For those of you who work in government, how did you start? I've been wondering if working for the government while studying for my Ph.D. would be a good idea. I see a lot of people here make well over six figures, and good for you, but I really don't see myself ever making that type of money unless I happen to land a teaching job at a major university, or eventually getting into administration. Government doesn't seem a bad place to end up for the time being, but I could be wrong.

Most of my passions in life simply aren't realistic (music, etc.), and I've come to terms with that. Just trying to be able to pay off these fucking loans one day and live a "comfortable" life (provide for my eventual family, you know the deal, blah blah blah).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
USAJobs. I applied all over the damn country. I ended up getting offered 3 positions, although after I had accepted I was still getting requests for interviews.

That said, I'm also a 5 point veteran, and from what I've heard, it's incredibly hard to be considered (much less hired) if you're competing with a veteran.

I'll also say I'm making shit money at the moment. $38,000 in California. I do get 3 automatic promotions, one per year, but right now it sucks. Currently GS-7; GS-9 after 1 year, GS-11 after year 2, GS-12 after year 3. Each promotion is around 20%, which is kind of ridiculous. Probably the only thing keeping me from looking for a new job.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
For those of you who work in government, how did you start? I've been wondering if working for the government while studying for my Ph.D. would be a good idea. I see a lot of people here make well over six figures, and good for you, but I really don't see myself ever making that type of money unless I happen to land a teaching job at a major university, or eventually getting into administration. Government doesn't seem a bad place to end up for the time being, but I could be wrong.

Most of my passions in life simply aren't realistic (music, etc.), and I've come to terms with that. Just trying to be able to pay off these fucking loans one day and live a "comfortable" life (provide for my eventual family, you know the deal, blah blah blah).
Go shoot some people for Uncle Sam, slum it in the 3rd world in the Peace Corps, or nepotism. It's pretty hard to get into the government nowadays unless you don't mind starting in the mail room or something.

Good luck.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I will concur with McCheese and Elurin - getting into the gov't at other than entry level is damn hard unless you are a veteran. Or know someone. And it has to be an agency that is still hiring - many are under hiring freezes right now due to budget cuts, sequester, all sorts of fuckery, and that isn't likely to change until the gov't unscrews itself. Gov't workers are in for an interesting few years, and by interesting I mainly mean totally shitty.

And Elurin, holy shit, that job you have is gold. 7-12 in one position, without having to compete for it, is the holy grail of federal jobs. Bypasses the hiring freeze bullshit and competing on USAJobs, and keeps you moving up the ladder. That is one you never leave unless it is because you got hired as a GS-13 a year after you get your 12.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My fiance got into her career at the USPS (govt) after like 5 months of waiting. The interview process was around 1 month long. When she finally hit orientation, there were a few test points where she could be fired if she didn't pass. Then they eliminated her job and she had to apply for the same position that is created in April for less pay.

It was hard for her to get in.

What do you do?
Nurse Anesthetist

Put people to sleep with powerful narcotics for surgery! (easy)
Wake them up after surgery (not so easy)

Where do you work?
Midwest

What field/industry?
Healthcare, Nursing

Wages?
180k-300K (depends on how much over time and call I decide to take a year)
Wife is also a Nurse Anesthetist so double that number.

Bonuses/SEP?
12 weeks paid vacation
Yearly bonus from Anesthesia group 15-30K (depends on how much I work)
No weekends, Holidays unless I pick up call

Benefits?
Work as many hours as I want, get to sit in a chair for most of the time, get to help people.

FYI for all the guys working crap jobs
Don't knock being a male nurse. If you aren't a complete social train wreck you will have an unlimited source of young, attractive eager girls to pick from! A good income 50-150k a year) Downside is having to work weekends, nights, and deal with shit (literally and figuratively).

Spawn_sl

shitlord
Where do you work? 32, no degree, Established gaming company

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Systems Architect - Design, build, engineer, support data center operations. Short version, I get the requirements from the company on what they want to build or what application they are looking to create. Design the infrastructure and submit large quotes for them to whine about :p There is a lot more to it of course, and mainly I deal just in the linux/vmware world. But I did support Windows for a few years.

What field/industry? Current company is online gaming.

Wages? 100k+

Bonuses/SEP? Quarterly

Benefits? Usual except we have unlimited PTO and can work from home whenever we feel like it. Long as it doesn't interfere with meetings etc.

Sometimes I blog about some of the solutions I have to implement and put them on my website. I do it candidly of course, most of the time it's just for my own reference, but your welcome to check it out if you feel like it:www.6tech.org

Blide_sl

shitlord
Go shoot some people for Uncle Sam, slum it in the 3rd world in thePeace Corps, or nepotism.
I'm actually quitting my job this week to do this. I've always had an interest in working abroad or in the federal government, so the Peace Corps made a lot of sense. Then I got placed in Europe working in my field, so it suddenly became a no brainer decision to leave my current local government job for it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'll get in here since I don't see too many blue collar jobs.

Where do you work?Portland, OR

What do you do? (Title/keywords)Auto Body Repair Mid-Tech

What field/industry?Automotive

Wages?35-40k, Been there 4~ months now so unsure if it will go up or down.

Bonuses/SEP?Super mellow boss? Also, can pick up cheap totals and fix them in my own time for cars to flip/drive.

Benefits?Health Insurance, that's about it.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Age/Education? 31/High School

Where do you work? Air Separation Plant

What do you do? I run air separation plants all over the globe via PC.

What field/industry? Gas industry

Wages? 30k/year starting out with a progression plan in writing, as long as I do what's required I get my raises. $2.50 after 4 months, $2.50 every 10 months for 5 years.

Benefits? Dental, 401k, vision, medical. 80hrs vacation 120hrs after 3 years. Dupont schedule(work 3 and 4 days a week with 7 off in a row once a month) better just look it up.

I got lucky as shit with this job and don't intend to lose it. Included a picture of what my work station looks like, sorry it's a shit picture the lense on my camera phone was shattered

rrr_img_15605.jpg

Where do you work?
Armored car company

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Armed Services Technician
What field/industry?
Financial services industry
Wages?
Crap, about 30k
Bonuses/SEP?
fairly decent death benefit if killed on job
Benefits?
medical, dental, vision 401k(virtually zero employer contribution)

In all honesty it's a crappy job, long hours. I've only kept it because my wife was active duty and I was able to transfer when she did. I can say I've done something not many military dependents can say. I've kept the same job for 23 years. The plan was when she retired last October, she would get a civilian job ( Physician Assistant) and I would quit and go to school full time. Am thinking Network Support. But she decided she wanted to be single, now I'm stuck in this job, in Bumfu*ck SC, trying to figurre out how to do school and work...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Where do you work?
Armored car company

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Armed Services Technician
What field/industry?
Financial services industry
Wages?
Crap, about 30k
Bonuses/SEP?
fairly decent death benefit if killed on job
Benefits?
medical, dental, vision 401k(virtually zero employer contribution)

In all honesty it's a crappy job, long hours. I've only kept it because my wife was active duty and I was able to transfer when she did. I can say I've done something not many military dependents can say. I've kept the same job for 23 years. The plan was when she retired last October, she would get a civilian job ( Physician Assistant) and I would quit and go to school full time. Am thinking Network Support. But she decided she wanted to be single, now I'm stuck in this job, in Bumfu*ck SC, trying to figurre out how to do school and work...
That shit sucks man, maybe something good will come your way.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
An internal job posting hit my email this morning for an associate director of graduate studies in my old grad program. Kinda tempted to apply. I'm just not sure what the pay scale would look like relative to my current one. Hm.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
An internal job posting hit my email this morning for an associate director of graduate studies in my old grad program. Kinda tempted to apply. I'm just not sure what the pay scale would look like relative to my current one. Hm.
No harm in applying and checking it out, right?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
No. It's administrative, rather than research. The perks aren't quite as nice (specifically vacation accrual). However, it's a much better title and potentially a sizable pay bump at the cost of having to fight a little more traffic and go into work earlier.

I have a CV, so it's just a matter of writing a letter and emailing it in. I happen to have several references in that very department, so I suspect I might have a little bit of an inside track if it turns out to be worth pursuing.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
Where do you work?England

What do you do? (Title/keywords)Primary (Elementary - 6 & 7 year olds this year) School Teacher

What field/industry?Education (State)

Wages?25k (English, roughly 38k US) a year but rises 2k a year for the next 6 years.

Bonuses/SEP?No bonus scheme as it's a state job.

Benefits?13 weeks a year holiday and the, quite cheesy, bonus of every day being different to the last. Also the perk of never having to look too hard to find work and promotions / career path is pretty clear and achievable.

Thought I'd add mine in as I'm not sure I've seen any teachers on here yet.

Bane_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?: A large nutritional supplement brand.

What do you do?: Senior Buyer - Mainly deal with our contract manufacturers, though I handle some raw material sourcing/purchasing.

What field/industry?: Health, wellness & fitness.

Wages?: 70k (~80k with bonus)

Bonuses/SEP?: Once a year bonus of around 10 - 14% of annual pay. Completely up to executive management's discretion, but it's been in that range the last 5 years at this company.

Benefits?: 401k match up to the first 3%(weaksauce), 100% of health insurance premium paid for single employee plan(awesome), I pay only 10% over cost on our products, which is an insanely good discount if you give a shit about supplements and/or sports nutrition.

I really like the current company I work for, especially considering I didn't like my previous one where I was in a higher management position. Best professional move I ever made was leaving last year.
Supplements you say? Where do I send the naked pix for some free samples?