What do you do?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah. Lots of whites and Asians with a decent amount of Hispanics thrown in.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Buddy I play MTG with is Chinese. His family sells real estate here to factory owners back in China. Apparently the grift is that they all know the Chinese economy is a massive bubble propped up by the government, so they're trying to hold all their assets abroad to avoid confiscation. A factory in Guangzou can be nationalized, and bank accounts can be seized, but you can't take back a penthouse in London or New York.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I'm finishing last year of med school and then I'm proooobably off to germany to be a doctor. Norway was in consideration, but the jump is kinda big and I've been living in Czech republic all my life, it's time to switch it up a bit.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Buddy I play MTG with is Chinese. His family sells real estate here to factory owners back in China. Apparently the grift is that they all know the Chinese economy is a massive bubble propped up by the government, so they're trying to hold all their assets abroad to avoid confiscation. A factory in Guangzou can be nationalized, and bank accounts can be seized, but you can't take back a penthouse in London or New York.
they can take away their kids and wives.

Vinen

God is dead

How are they laundering money out of the country? China has strict currency controls.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How are they laundering money out of the country? China has strict currency controls.

I imagine they take a decent haircut on these transactions to get their money out of the country, but 50% of money that can't be confiscated is better than 100% of money that can be.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

I don't know all the details but I know it is fairly common for Chinese millionaires to buy property in luxury zip codes. I know Vancouver is pretty big for them as is a ton of places in southern California.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Vinen Vinen you should see the amount of BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Audi, Jaguar, and other luxuries brand vehicles are on university campuses. All of it owned or leased by Chinese students who are most likely from Hong King or China. They send them allowance money in tune of thousands of dollars per month. They encourage their kids to spend their money.

A few Koreans do the same but they would ask their kids to find a job and find a permanent residency. Nothing extraordinary like Chinese.....Most Koreans invest in Korea.

Tenks

I imagine they take a decent haircut on these transactions to get their money out of the country, but 50% of money that can't be confiscated is better than 100% of money that can be.

Again I don't know the ins-and-outs but places like Vancouver have imposed taxes on foreigners buying property. But the laws are ridiculously easy to bypass. You basically just form an LLC with a Canadian resident for the sole purpose of buying the property. Since the LLC meets requirements (I think it was like 25% of the board needed to be Canadian or something) the tax therefore does not apply. It is one of those things were locals will get angry about foreign buyers and the government will just pass a paper tiger law knowing it'll do nothing but will generate some positive press.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know how Chinese do it but you can just wire money to their kids. We had a guy with temporary Visa who bought a house with a mortgage from BMO. Our financial manager approved their car loan with the same bank at 0%....

Banks consider monthly allowance as "income" and so does the government of Canada.

Haka

N00b
Again I don't know the ins-and-outs but places like Vancouver have imposed taxes on foreigners buying property. But the laws are ridiculously easy to bypass. You basically just form an LLC with a Canadian resident for the sole purpose of buying the property. Since the LLC meets requirements (I think it was like 25% of the board needed to be Canadian or something) the tax therefore does not apply. It is one of those things were locals will get angry about foreign buyers and the government will just pass a paper tiger law knowing it'll do nothing but will generate some positive press.

This literally happened in Vancouver only a month ago... 15% foreigner's tax, and it's been pretty controversial. I know places like Hong-Kong and Australia have had these in place for years though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
This literally happened in Vancouver only a month ago... 15% foreigner's tax, and it's been pretty controversial. I know places like Hong-Kong and Australia have had these in place for years though.

Yeah, I'm not sure what Tenks is talking about in terms of evading that tax. I mean, I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but at this point the tax is basically a month old, and sales transactions have absolutely plummeted because of it. It's working as of right now. Prior to that, there was no need for them to buy through a corporation or anything like that. There was 10 million dollar houses owned by 19 year old university students and house wives and shit.

I have no doubt that it'll be gotten around fairly quickly, though. However, the impact on the psychology of the market might well be as significant as stemming the inward flow of money. Vancouver's market had gone fucking retarded at both the very high end, and the mid range. I doubt we'll see a huge drop in prices because it's such a desirable place to live, but shit had been going up by 10-20% a year for a long fucking time. Even if things just stagnate for awhile to let incomes catch up, that would be a good result.

Then again, it's just as likely that Victoria, Nanaimo, Comox, Kelowna, and other smaller places in BC are going to get swamped with Chinese money. My bro bought a pretty nice lakefront place in Kelowna last year, and he gets unsolicited offers on it damn near every week. A lot of that though is Canadians selling US property and bringing the money back home. But when half the BC housing market is now subject to a 15% tax for foreigners, there's going to be spillover to the rest of it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fair enough, like I said, I doubt it'll be iron clad. People are just speculating in that thread, there doesn't appear to be any concrete information there (I spent all of 15 seconds reading as I fucking hate reddit's format/structure). In actual reality, like I said, real estate activity has fallen off a cliff in Vancouver since the tax was brought in. But I have no doubt there's a thousand slimy real estate agents and lawyers coming up with ways around it as we speak.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Being a straw real estate buyer for unpopular Chinese money sounds like a good way to go maple syrup pound me in the ass prison.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Vinen Vinen you should see the amount of BMW, Porsche, Mustang, Audi, Jaguar, and other luxuries brand vehicles are on university campuses. All of it owned or leased by Chinese students who are most likely from Hong King or China. They send them allowance money in tune of thousands of dollars per month. They encourage their kids to spend their money.

There's a fucking asian kid going to Pepperdine Business School next to my old work who was constantly rolling into the parking garage in baller ass cars. Orange Lambo, Black AMG S63, White R8, Baby Blue Range Rover. As Trex would say, supes fucking jelly.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Heh, in BC new driver's have to have a green N in the back window. I don't spend much time in Vancouver, but last time I did, it seemed like half of the super high end cars had N's on them. Which basically means, rich Chinese kid.

Tenks

Having just moved to Southern California seeing foreigners in super high end cars is now an hourly thing. It was really, really prominent at my temporary housing apartment. Literally people parking high end BMWs randomly like they were pieces of shit. The underground parking lot was littered with lambos, porches, Maserati and every other manner of high end car. Coming from Ohio where my WRX was considered a high end sports car it was quite the change :)