What do you do?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
So I've posted about the re-organization that's happening at my company for the group that handles their Enterprise network. Currently the network techs, including myself, are contracted 3 levels down. Company A contracts company B for all of their IT work, then company B contracts with staffing agencies to get network techs.

Well, Company A and B re-negotiated, and part of that was consolidating to 1 staffing agency.

Was supposed to know on the 1st the fate, and whether I still had a job, or whether I had 30 days to find something different. The new staffing agency officially takes over the end of this month. Well, no one has heard anything, but a co-worker emailed someone to try and find a status, and heard they are raping the entire department that I work in, and cutting down to 2 techs each shift. We have 24/7 coverage, so that's 12 techs down to 6. They think they can handle the whole thing with 2 techs per shift instead of 4.... it's all gonna come crashing down. Also heard a little about who was being kept and wasn't, and I haven't heard anything about me, but the few that they are keeping look good on paper, but are absolutely terrible.

Unemployment line here I come probably. I don't look so great on paper, as I haven't finished my BS yet, and just have a CCNA cert. Guess just wait and see. One of the best techs we have hard un-officially he wasn't selected to be "retained". Sigh...
Hang on bro

Vinen

God is dead
Plenty of companies use deferred bonuses for retention. Golden handcuffs and all that. Some are even set up through life insurance policies and only pay out every 3 or 5 years if the employee sticks around. However if they're changing how that's structured without being up front about it, then that's not cool.

See RSUs. Due to where VMware's stock was when they were issues earlier this year I am in for the long run.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
RSUs aren't the end of the world. Better to have them than not. It's a hell of a lot better than a stock purchase program, even after the tax hit.

Slightly related, but I just made the mistake of glancing at San Francisco rental search results. What the absolute fuck.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have no idea how people can afford to move here now. I've been living with rent control for nearly five years and I can't imagine paying more than what I'm paying now.

kudos

<Banned>
I may have to choose between NYC (office around Manhattan) or DC next year if everything goes as planned. I'm also taking a significant pay cut to $55k tops for a year or so. I don't understand how they expect their employees to live on that pay. It's a government job so it's not like you can push over the GS level. HR is shit.

If it's DC I basically have no choice but to move to Maryland and commute. This sucks because I would rather be within walking distance or just not have to own a car anymore. Either that or live in a ghetto with gun crime every night.

I've decided I'm putting in for every over seas job I can to hopefully have everything paid for while I work until my GS pay level has moved up and then come home. I doubt this will happen though as I'd be too new for them to send me overseas.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I may have to choose between NYC (office around Manhattan) or DC next year if everything goes as planned. I'm also taking a significant pay cut to $55k tops for a year or so. I don't understand how they expect their employees to live on that pay. It's a government job so it's not like you can push over the GS level. HR is shit.

If it's DC I basically have no choice but to move to Maryland and commute. This sucks because I would rather be within walking distance or just not have to own a car anymore. Either that or live in a ghetto with gun crime every night.

I've decided I'm putting in for every over seas job I can to hopefully have everything paid for while I work until my GS pay level has moved up and then come home. I doubt this will happen though as I'd be too new for them to send me overseas.
What GS and where is DC? I prefer Northern VA to MD, plus if you live/work near a slugline that saves you from using metro or driving (though you can drive and get free HOV with passengers using slugs)

kudos

<Banned>
What GS and where is DC? I prefer Northern VA to MD, plus if you live/work near a slugline that saves you from using metro or driving (though you can drive and get free HOV with passengers using slugs)
Pennsylvania & 9th

Start at GS7 most likely but supposedly you move up the GS levels pretty quickly until GS12. The position allows up to GS14 without any kind of applying for promotion.

Vinen

God is dead
RSUs aren't the end of the world. Better to have them than not. It's a hell of a lot better than a stock purchase program, even after the tax hit.

Slightly related, but I just made the mistake of glancing at San Francisco rental search results. What the absolute fuck.

No kidding. Guess I worded my statement wrong.
They are far better than options. I know some people at Uber who hate the company but can't leave it until a vesting situation occurs so they can payoff the taxes and sell.

Wife and I are gambling on her company. We've exercised quite a few stocks with real money :|

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I have no idea how people can afford to move here now. I've been living with rent control for nearly five years and I can't imagine paying more than what I'm paying now.

I don't get it either. It's on my list of things to ask when I go out there. I sincerely do not understand the point of sending 3500 out the door in rent.

I live in an older home in Atlanta with 3 beds, a finished basement, 3 bathrooms, and a pool on 2/3 of an acre. I'm *lucky* if my house is worth 200k. A fucking broom closet in SF will cost me triple that just to be walking distance to a bus line. It's a serious worry for me.

Vinen

God is dead
I don't get it either. It's on my list of things to ask when I go out there. I sincerely do not understand the point of sending 3500 out the door in rent.

I live in an older home in Atlanta with 3 beds, a finished basement, 3 bathrooms, and a pool on 2/3 of an acre. I'm *lucky* if my house is worth 200k. A fucking broom closet in SF will cost me triple that just to be walking distance to a bus line. It's a serious worry for me.

They want young suckers who are willing to live with roommates even at that cost.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Exactly. I know people in their fucking 30s who have roommates. In fact...it's just about everyone. I live by myself in a 1BR apartment. I don't know a single person in my situation.

Vinen

God is dead
It's really not. The daily routine and patterns are completelt different, as are the financial concerns.

Where is the company located which is flying out out? I missed if it was in the city. Unless your wife is working and is taking the jump with you to a job in the Bay Area chances are it would not be a good decision to move there.

If/when my Wife leaves her company we are "considering" moving out there. She is Directors~Senior Director level so it would be pending her finding a job first (I have an open offer).

All i can say is I'd rather have a 2mil house in MA then SV.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Menlo Park. It's the obvious one.

My wife is a researcher with the VA, and they have a medical center she could likely transfer to and continue with her work. She's also interestes in starting a phd, and they have programs out there that interest her.

It all depends on the offer if the interview goes well. Honestly it's a career goal for me, and would be an experience that would write my ticket from here out. I'm interviewing for the first research job on a new team dedicated to my focus area. It just might mean a little bit of real world cost of living adjustment.

Vinen

God is dead
Menlo Park. It's the obvious one.

My wife is a researcher with the VA, and they have a medical center she could likely transfer to and continue with her work. She's also interestes in starting a phd, and they have programs out there that interest her.

It all depends on the offer if the interview goes well. Honestly it's a career goal for me, and would be an experience that would write my ticket from here out. I'm interviewing for the first research job on a new team dedicated to my focus area. It just might mean a little bit of real world cost of living adjustment.

Well. If you do go and accept it will be an interesting change of life. Moving from a POS redneck city like Atlanta to SV.