What do you do?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Partner scheduled a conference call for today at 1:30pm because so many of us are in hearings/travel that Sunday was the day everyone was available.

You know why we're available Sunday, bitch? Cuz we don't work Sundays. /rustled

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I work from home. I keep a full time job and a part time job. I tend to stay in the biotech/pharma industry, and I still like the job title "Generalist". Full stack can get fucked.

I bailed on the SF Bay Area lifestyle when my 3rd kid was born. It's not worth the stress, cost, and time spent commuting. I'm now about an hour north of Sacramento in a red county.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I work from home. I keep a full time job and a part time job. I tend to stay in the biotech/pharma industry, and I still like the job title "Generalist". Full stack can get fucked.

I bailed on the SF Bay Area lifestyle when my 3rd kid was born. It's not worth the stress, cost, and time spent commuting. I'm now about an hour north of Sacramento in a red county.
Question, what do you do in biotech/pharma to be able to work from home? I want that

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Question, what do you do in biotech/pharma to be able to work from home? I want that

I've been doing technology bullshit since the mid 90s. I'm rounded enough that I'm top line support for most groups (network, database, development, sysadmins, ops) so I have a constant stream of piddly bullshit to fill in the gaps. The main thing that keeps me happy is that I get to prototype all new projects. If we need to do a proof of concept or wrangle some kind of integration I have near total control over it.

I do not work for huge companies (and never will again) but we provide software for several enormous pharma companies.

My advice for working remote is to work in office for some amount of time and make yourself a known value. Once that value is established you can negotiate a partial remote to full time remote position, provided the company is cool.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's similar to what I've done. I worked in the office almost everyday for almost two years. Now I primarily WFH. I still go to the office maybe two days a week, but my commute is about an hour. So it's not absurd enough to never go in.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I hate working remote. Work out of a remote office as is and feel disconnected.

Thus the benefit... so you actually get things done without 100 lemmings coming to your office per day.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Thus the benefit... so you actually get things done without 100 lemmings coming to your office per day.

Thats my problem :| I have to order around Lemmings at a technical level.

Edit: I mean lead them.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure you want to pursue an analogy where you're leading lemmings around since that just means you're the one walking off the cliff first

Vinen

God is dead
I'm not sure you want to pursue an analogy where you're leading lemmings around since that just means you're the one walking off the cliff first

This is not inaccurate at times. :|
Keeping in mind that Cliff is randomly moving around.

//Alcoholic

Last edited:

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I work in a family owned feed mill. Grandpa bought the business in 1957.

I'm in charge of doing anything bag related, mixing feed for anything from horses, calves, goats, chickens, you name it.

We catered to the ever dwindling small single family farms. But hobby farming is on the rise.

It's hard work but I love our clientele. A lot of them have been coming there since before I was born.

Picture spam.

received_1190216701036379.jpeg

received_1190216724369710.jpeg
received_1190216731036376.jpeg
received_1190216747703041.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vinen

God is dead

I'm in charge of doing anything bag related, mixing feed for anything from horses, calves, goats, chickens, you name it.

We catered to the ever dwindling small single family farms. But hobby farming is on the rise.

It's hard work but I love our clientele. A lot of them have been coming there since before I was born.

Picture spam.

View attachment 98976
View attachment 98977 View attachment 98978 View attachment 98979

Thats actually pretty cool.
What animals are the feed you produce for?

Tried to google you guys and all I see is a lawsuit o_O

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thats actually pretty cool.
What animals are the feed you produce for?

Tried to google you guys and all I see is a lawsuit o_O

Just about any kind of animal really. Majority is horse, bovine (cow and steer at any age) and pigs. Chicken feed is a lot of foot traffic, having just a handful for eggs is huge around here and we make our own egg layer mash feed.

And Wayne Feeds is an old time producer that we used their products ages ago. Just kept the sign up. We have a lot of old stuff there, that corn grinder is from 1945 which we put in 5 years ago when the one from 1921 finally blew apart.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>

Picture spam.

View attachment 98976
View attachment 98977 View attachment 98978 View attachment 98979
that shit so amazing...

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Just about any kind of animal really. Majority is horse, bovine (cow and steer at any age) and pigs. Chicken feed is a lot of foot traffic, having just a handful for eggs is huge around here and we make our own egg layer mash feed.

And Wayne Feeds is an old time producer that we used their products ages ago. Just kept the sign up. We have a lot of old stuff there, that corn grinder is from 1945 which we put in 5 years ago when the one from 1921 finally blew apart.
I have fond memories of going to the feed mill with my Grandpa. I loved the sensations of it.. the smell of the grain mixed with his pipe tobacco smoke and the friendly conversations. It is a whirlwind of good recollection.

• 1Like

fresh

<Gold Donor>
I am executive chef at a ski resort. We have 5 restaurants and a very busy banquets department. One of these days I need to try skiing...

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I hate working remote. Work out of a remote office as is and feel disconnected.
Do you work in a room that smells like stale pizza and even staler pee?

Oh yeah, and our CRO decided it would be a great idea to put a high res live stream of our NOC playing in the front of the sales office for all our clients and prospective clients to see, even though we sometimes have classified government system information up on our screens. So now we get to work in what is effectively a very smelly fishbowl.