What do you do?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where do you work? Cleveland Air traffic control center

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Air Traffic Controller

What field/industry? Government

Wages? 135,000 including locality, night pay, sunday pay,

Bonuses/SEP? No

Benefits? First couple % matching 401k, pension fund, mandatory early retirement, paid lunches, good breaks.

How long have you been there?
9 years. Federal salary has been pretty stagnant the last few years, pay freezes and whatnot sucked bad, compared to inflation, I earn less than I did when I started, but hopefully we begin to see actual growth again some day. It's still not a bad job.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I posted it in the other thread but I'll be getting a written offer from raytheon this week in portsmouth RI. If the pay is anywhere close to what I make now I'm instantly taking it. Over 2 hour commute 1 way to 20 minutes.

Pretty excited as its a pretty big change from writing UEFI BIOS

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even though uefi has been around for awhile, a lot of vendors simply haven't implemented support. The onus is on those guys to do it. Theres so much fucking shit tied to legacy bios still that it's mind boggling. We have to write bios in a way that it supports both uefi and legacy boot, option roms and drivers when the world should be moving strictly to uefi.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Where - smaller technology consulting firm - SE office
What - director of software development practice
Field - technology consulting
Wages - $186k base
Bonuses - ~$60k
Benefits - Unlimited PTO, flexible hours as long as I am responsive at all times, 401k, ... , standard stuff
How long - 5 years at current firm. Previously I worked in industry as a software engineer for about 6 years.

I love the consulting industry, the engineers in my group, and (most of) the clients that we work with. I get to talk to a lot of high level executives and convince them to adopt more modern software development practices. The days of off-shoring everything are changing, and now development groups are becoming much closer aligned to the actual users of the products that they create. It's a great time to be in the industry, and, in the smaller companies, I think we can actually make a difference.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
No. I am interviewing with just about every company in the game, I should hit them up. Talking with BAH right now, i have only heard bad things about their culture but whatever, money is right.
BAH culture is no different than any of the other big ones outside of the ones that run FFRDCs. Always hear places like IDA and MITRE are much better.

What do you do? Head chef at a two AA Rosette restaurant

What field / industry?
Catering/hospitality

Wages? £40,000

Bonuses/SEP? I guess tips are bonus, but these days I'll be lucky to clear ~£50 on a busy night. Nothing official of course, the catering industry is a shit.

Benefits: 35 days paid leave, that's it.

How long? 4 years in my current role, ~12 in the industry total

For the last 13 years I have worked 65-75 hours a week, most weekends, every christmas, bank holidays, Easter etc. It's killing me slowly... Annoyingly these days it's very hard to change careers without some kind of experience in anything else. I have decent A-levels, A's in Physics, Chemistry, Math(s) and English language, but A levels mean naff all these days. Still, being a bad-ass head chef is pretty cool.

Not always, I guess it's just the fact that our waiters/waitresses/chefs get minimum wage - legally a company can't use tips to top up (that's how it works in the US right? I don't really know but that's the impression I get.)

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The days of off-shoring everything are changing, and now development groups are becoming much closer aligned to the actual users of the products that they create. It's a great time to be in the industry, and, in the smaller companies, I think we can actually make a difference.

This is why I love UX work. We're still the redheaded stepchildren in research though. My company just recently offshored even more development, which is ass backwards but whatever. We continue to produce designs that come back implemented poorly. I can't do much about it from my little corner of the world. Gotta figure out how to get up to a director level at some point where people actually pay attention.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Where do you work?
Big Bank

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Information Security Advisor

What field/industry?
IT / InfoSec

Wages?
~$105k

Bonuses/SEP?
Yeah. Not sure on the details yet as it's a new gig.

Benefits?
All of them. I'm in Communist Norway, so ... 6 weeks paid vacation, 6 months paid paternity leave, full SP gov't healthcare + health insurance (which is a thing, even with single payer healthcare systems, to jump queues and get treatment more quickly), travel insurance, life insurance, 22 days/year to take care of sick children/spouse if needed.
And it's a bank, so discounts on mortgage, car loan, car insurance, credit cards.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Just heard our division VP is resigning, after inheriting our design group during a re-org in spring. That means while my direct supervisor has remained the same over the last year, her boss has now disappeared twice. It's getting pretty discouraging.

I have always operated under the motto, "Keep your boss happy, and keep their boss even happier." It's hard enough building professional relationships as a full-time remote worker, but it's damn near pointless when the hierarchy keeps changing. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I feel like I'm going to have to start over gaining trust and buy-in from yet another set of execs just to keep my projects on track.

Fuckin Mondays.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mikey

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Where do you work?
12 person tech startup in Palo Alto

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Founder / CEO

What field/industry?
Databases / Infrastructure

Wages?
Going to punt on this

Bonuses/SEP?
Mostly stock / equity

Benefits?
Top tier health / dental, flexible vacation policy, work from home on Fridays (I'm still in the office)

How Long?
2 years. Previously employee 1 at a valley startup that "made it"

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Previously employee 1 at a valley startup that "made it"

Was it:

Aviato-Sfront.png

:)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
fuckin lol, avia-TOH

Very interesting interview yesterday with a company that sounds great, a SETA role, which I normally wouldn't think I would be qualified to do but instead of psyching myself out I just rolled with it and it seems like it went well.

I hate this job hunting thing. The only people who are getting back to me in a timely manner are jobs I am not excited about. I have a bunch on the line but they are taking their time getting back, which normally would be fine, but I have a deadline. That deadline is still more than a month out, but i am paranoid.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
fuckin lol, avia-TOH

Very interesting interview yesterday with a company that sounds great, a SETA role, which I normally wouldn't think I would be qualified to do but instead of psyching myself out I just rolled with it and it seems like it went well.

I hate this job hunting thing. The only people who are getting back to me in a timely manner are jobs I am not excited about. I have a bunch on the line but they are taking their time getting back, which normally would be fine, but I have a deadline. That deadline is still more than a month out, but i am paranoid.
Uhh what company? If it was Noblis and supporting DHS, run, run away. They use subsidiaries to reduce rates.