What do you do?

Rhuobhe

N00b
I work as a backup administrator for hospital/educational. I know a little bit of everything. The cost of living in Miami is super expensive.

Anyone out there familiar with TSM?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just put in my two weeks with CenturyLink today as a senior sales rep and took a management position at Sprint...
Hope it all works out for you, but as someone that resides in the city where Sprint global HQ is, about the only news you see in the local papers is them laying more people off.

When I got out of college about 15 years ago, I had 7 close friends that went to work for Sprint in varying departments (sales, IT, project management, etc) and all 7 were laid off within the next 5-6 years. One guy even got laid off twice(worked 3 years, got laid off, got another job, got an offer from Sprint to come back a few years later, took it, got laid off again after 2 more years, lol)

I think every single person in KC knows someone that has been laid off from Sprint at some point...

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Where do you work? Corporate Kitchen

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Assistant Team Leader (sous chef)

What field/industry? Food Service

Wages? Around 48-50 a year. Not bad for wasting my time getting a film degree

Bonuses/SEP? bonus is usually around 3 grand, 401k

Benefits? Full Medical, vision, dental, Paid vacation, Company cell phone plan, stocks, profit sharing based on our labor budget. Plus access to pretty much anything I would ever want to cook.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I thought there were labor laws against more than like 15 hour shifts or something? Or does 24 on mean hanging out waiting for a call?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hope it all works out for you, but as someone that resides in the city where Sprint global HQ is, about the only news you see in the local papers is them laying more people off.

When I got out of college about 15 years ago, I had 7 close friends that went to work for Sprint in varying departments (sales, IT, project management, etc) and all 7 were laid off within the next 5-6 years. One guy even got laid off twice(worked 3 years, got laid off, got another job, got an offer from Sprint to come back a few years later, took it, got laid off again after 2 more years, lol)

I think every single person in KC knows someone that has been laid off from Sprint at some point...
I'm not with corporate Sprint, fuck working for them. I'm also doing this for resume building purposes, my job with CenturyLink quickly turned into one where no advancement was possible and I wasn't about to be stuck there in that position for 10+ years like others were while we all made the same amount of money.

krysanth

Golden Knight of the Realm
I thought there were labor laws against more than like 15 hour shifts or something? Or does 24 on mean hanging out waiting for a call?
most fire depts work 24 on 48 off. We have a firehouse with a kitchen, bunk room, weights, tv room etc so on downtime we get to relax/sleep

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Phone interview for Thursday. I really wish it was an in-person interview first. I'm much better at those.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Thanks. It should be fine. My old boss is one of the people on the line, and I'm researching the other two so I know their roles at the organization. It should help me know how best to answer. I've also got a meeting at that office on Wednesday, so I'm hoping I can shake hands with a couple folks the day before. Having a face to put to my name should help a lot.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Admin at a travel agency while being a full time graduate student. I want to kill myself.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Admin at a travel agency while being a full time graduate student. I want to kill myself.
Is that because the work is bad/boring/difficult or because you're super busy with the job + studying?

Also, I didn't realize travel agencies were even a thing anymore.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is that because the work is bad/boring/difficult or because you're super busy with the job + studying?

Also, I didn't realize travel agencies were even a thing anymore.
Work isn't difficult at all, it's just very tedious and time consuming. School is the complete opposite. As a history major I do nothing but analyze readings constantly, and we're talking 2-3 books per class per week, the course load can be pretty difficult. But yeah, I have basically no free time and it's been cutting into my gym time which just makes me frustrated and irritable so... still trying to balance everything, which is tough atm.

And like Heylel said, I pretty much deal exclusively with massive businesses sending their corporate fucks all over the world in $1,200 a night hotels. Some of these hotel charges just... it's ridiculous lol.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Also the service of a decent travel agency can be pretty phenomenal compared to waiting on hold for hours to deal with airlines and the like. 98% of the time you might not notice a difference between booking through a travel agency and Expedia or whatever, but if shit goes wrong having a (competent) travel agent on your side can be huge.

That said, most travel agents are pretty fucking useless. I've been to or will be going to three of my friends' destination weddings, and all three of the agents I've had to deal with have been fucking imbeciles.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lmao I don't work as an agent, I deal mostly with hotel payments and shit like that. But yeah, if shit goes wrong, we usually fix it that instant. Sometimes it goes wrong on the other company's end which can be very annoying when you're dealing with thousands of dollars and you've got a customer asking you wtf why I was charged for this and the hotel is saying "uhhhhhhhh we mixed up the cards." But this job isn't bad, a lot of downtime, I do a lot of homework while I work, my boss is pretty chill, etc.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Contemplating taking an interview with Microsoft for a Sys Admin / Support Engineer position. Curious but hesitant, because I enjoy my current job. Anyone worked for them before?

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Contemplating taking an interview with Microsoft for a Sys Admin / Support Engineer position. Curious but hesitant, because I enjoy my current job. Anyone worked for them before?
I've heard some second hand reports that the ranking system leads to a lot of BS and that the culture is relatively hostile. But that is all 2rd hand, read glassdoor for a more broad view.

OFWGKTA_sl

shitlord
26 years old
graduated with a liberal arts degree
work full time for a criminal defense firm - attend law school at night.
i graduate this year. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT. spent the last three years working 45-50hrs a week + juggling law school and life.

Aevry

Mobile Game Hunter
28 years old - divorced / no kids

Sr. Clinical Informatics with Providence Healthcare in Washington state for about 5 years now. 70k / year or so. Really love it.